• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally buying a polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally buying a polisher

I have decided to buy the G110v2. Im kind of nervous about using and maintaining it correctly. Here is the cheapest I could find it:

Do you all think this is a good deal?
    It comes with quite a few pads, and I believe they can be washed? I'm not sure how many times.

Do smaller pads work with this polisher as well? I dont see any for sale on 'meguiar's direct' but from what I understand, smaller pads work great on smaller areas of the car.

I'm also looking for the best tape to use to tape off parts of the car without leaving any residue behind.

Thanks!

Re: Finally buying a polisher

If you want smaller pads, there are 4" softbuff 2.0 pads (W7204, W8204, W9204)available. These pads are also available as a powerpack for the Dual Action Power System. You need the S3BP backing plate to run those.

Blue painters tape or the Meguiar's masking tape will work great.

The Meguiar's Softbuff 2.0 pads can be washed indefinitely or until they can't be used anymore.
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Don't be nervous about using the polisher you will be fine once you dial in your process with the machine. Most import thing is to have fun and enjoy it!

Marc made great points on the pads!
      Rupes 21 / Flex 3401 / G110v2 / GG3"
      Thoryamaha919 AKA Evan
      Click and Like my Facebook Page

Comment

It was all said above. I own many sets DAMF, soft buff and lake country in the 3" to 4" range. I even have a G110v2 dedicated only to this size setup. And I use this in the very rare occasion. The pads with the kit you got will handle 95%+ all things you will deal with. My suggestion use what you have and don't go overboard getting things you may or may not need.

Small pads can cut faster because the same pressure on a reduced face size creates more lbs per sq in. So this is a plus. But really make sure you need it before you buy it.

Comment

Also make sure that you check the paint's temperature regularly with the 4" pads. You need to have a relatively faster arm speed because the heat builds up quicker with these small pads.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone! So it's normal for the back-plate to be 1" less than the pad? I assume the back-plate can be changed with everyday tools also?

I think what 's word' is suggesting is that i dont need the bigger pads, and that the 4 inch will do the job? Do others concur? My car is fairly small but does have some big areas

Comment

Well i just got my APC and hyper dressing in the mail. When it says '4:1' that means 4 parts apc and one part water?

What would you experts recommend is a good dilution for apc? I plan on using it to wipe down interior plastics and the engine bay.

For the hyper dressing, i plan on using it on my tires and the engine bay.

Comment

As a rule of thumb, you want to use a pad that is slightly bigger than the backing plate itself. This will provide you with safety and protection. If the backing plate aligns with the foam pad, you run the risk of hitting body parts. Trust me, that will not be pretty.

What do you mean the back-plate can be changed with everyday tools? The G110v2 polisher will come with a very thin wrench and that's what you need to use to remove/install backing plates - no matter what size they are.

I think what s word is suggesting is that majority of your paint polishing won't be done with the 4" pad so don't go overboard buying 50 pads or something like that. You will still use the 5.5/6.5/7" pads for the majority of your paint polishing. But IMO, you will still need the 4" pads for thin areas like the A pillars, side skirts, areas around the bumper, etc. I would buy the S3BP backing plate and maybe 4-5 4" pads.

In the dilution ratios, the 1 is always the product and the other number is always the water. So for the 4:1 APC dilution ratio, it is 4 parts water to 1 part APC. I use both 10:1 ratio and 4:1 ratio. I use the 10:1 ratio for lightly soiled surfaces like the interior. I use the stronger dilution of 4:1 when cleaning the engine bay or tires.

For more information on how to dilute the detailer line products, please read this: How to properly dilute Meguiar's Detailer Line products

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
                  As a rule of thumb, you want to use a pad that is slightly bigger than the backing plate itself. This will provide you with safety and protection. If the backing plate aligns with the foam pad, you run the risk of hitting body parts. Trust me, that will not be pretty.

What do you mean the back-plate can be changed with everyday tools? The G110v2 polisher will come with a very thin wrench and that's what you need to use to remove/install backing plates - no matter what size they are.

I think what s word is suggesting is that majority of your paint polishing won't be done with the 4" pad so don't go overboard buying 50 pads or something like that. You will still use the 5.5/6.5/7" pads for the majority of your paint polishing. But IMO, you will still need the 4" pads for thin areas like the A pillars, side skirts, areas around the bumper, etc. I would buy the S3BP backing plate and maybe 4-5 4" pads.

In the dilution ratios, the 1 is always the product and the other number is always the water. So for the 4:1 APC dilution ratio, it is 4 parts water to 1 part APC. I use both 10:1 ratio and 4:1 ratio. I use the 10:1 ratio for lightly soiled surfaces like the interior. I use the stronger dilution of 4:1 when cleaning the engine bay or tires.

For more information on how to dilute the detailer line products, please read this: How to properly dilute Meguiar's Detailer Line products

Hope this helps.
                  Great response, repped!

Comment

autogeek.net has the polisher for $159.99 and offers free shipping if you join there forum

I own the same exact model and loving it after 1yr. The only thing I replaced was the backing plate and pads. I wanted to use the "hybrid lake country pads" along with the lake country backing plate. These pads do a really good job keeping the product close to the surface instead of soaking into the pad.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenlight View Post
                      autogeek.net has the polisher for $159.99 and offers free shipping if you join there forum
                      I saw that but the link i posted above seems even cheaper if you factor in the pads.

Comment

Im about to dilute my hyper dressing. Im gonna do 1:1 for tires, engine bay and possibly inside the car.

Good idea?

Comment

It really depends on how shiny you want it to be. I use 1:1 hyper dressing on my tires because I like it really shiny. Others use 4:1 because they want a matte shine.

Personally, I would use 4:1 or 3:1 on the engine bay and the same for the interior if you want shine. I personally hate shiny interior that's why I only use Quik Interior Detailer.

You should try different dilutions and see what you like the most.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I'll do 4:1 on the engine bay and 1:1 on the tire

Comment

Just found this deal, but slightly confused because i thought the pads should be bigger than the backing plate?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');