• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally tried my G-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally tried my G-100

Hello,

I finally tried my G-100 out this past weekend. And it was an interesting experience. My car was in an accident lastyear and most of it was repainted. However they did leave alot of swirls in my finish. I tried #80 yesterday and it did an ok job. I mean im not exactly sure if im using it properly. I always applied it on the pad in the "x" shape, and i always made sure i would apply 20 lbs of pressure to the back of the g-100. I buffed it till it was hazy. Then wiped it off with a simoniz terry cloth first, and then the ultimate wipe after. The finish was definately cleaner, and when i looked at it under the garage light it was beautiful. However the moment i brought it out into the sun i noticed that i could still see swirl marks. The swirls are not as bad, but they were still definately there. I then covered it up with NXT Tech wax, and it made it all go away. Howver i know that sooner or later they'll once again be visible. Im not really too worried about it till summer time, since i only really wanted to lay down a new layer of wax before winter time came.

I also wanted to make sure that i have the right idea with the pads.

After i used the pads i stored them in a ziplock opened in a cabinet. I didnt clean them off, i just stuck them in the bag. I just read a few minutes ago that before usage i should clean them off with a soft nylon brush. Do i have the right idea here?

Any help would be great. Thank you

hmm im not an expert or nothing, but maybe u didnt use the correct pads or not strong enough polish.. which polish did you use?

Comment

i used #80, on the 8006 pad....

thanks

Comment

In my experience 20 pounds of pressure is too much. I usually use between 2 and 5 pounds and get very good results that way.
        Quadruple Honda Owner
        Black cars are easy!

Comment

#80 with a W-8006 is an excellent combination. What speed did you use?

Maybe you just need to do another application or two?

Maybe the swirls are just too deep for #80, it’s fairly mild and if the body shop used a compound and wool pad you may need something stronger like #83 or new #2.

PC.

Comment

i used a speed setting of 4.5, thanks for the help. I just wanted some info for when i do it again in bout 4 months. Just so when the sunlight hits it again, it'll look good.

Thanks again for the tips

Comment

Hi Lertets

just wanted to let you know

J/k

here are some helpful links

What it means to remove a scratch

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

The swipe test

Cleaning Foam Pad

this links should cover most of your ??'s...just remember to do the five step paint car cycle, two bucket method with grit guards,high quality mf/terry,soap and so forth.....you can put an "X" or "O"two inch from the edge some m80 just make sure you work m80 (do three pass in three different ways to make sure you work the product)diminishing abrasive.....

the weight of 15 to 20 pound of pressure is on the money you only do this when using cleaners, not polish or wax....also im sure you know the difference between rotary and pc so i would suggest make another pass with m80 i even heard up to three or four times but i would try three should that not help then you might need to step up to 83 then see if that works then you must go back to 80 then if you prefer a polish example #7 (not required just a thought) then finally with your nxt wax(just a suggestion if you plan not to do to much detail on your vehicle since it will be winter i would suggest M#21 -just a thought) and then you can go back to nxt tech wax for the summer....
              Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

here is my car with the nxt tech. It actually looks pretty good, but i assure you swirls are under there

Comment

I agree with moving to 83. Also, when I first started with the g-100 I wasn't very good at removing swirls, then someone pointed out that my work area was too big. Try to keep it in a 1 foot by 1 foot square.

Comment

ill definately give #83 a try, thank you

Comment

wSean

also note your hand movement play a key role SLOWLYYYYYYYYY enough to break down the product and work it in the paint...
                      Miguel

Comment

how slow is slow? sometimes i feel as if im going too slow, cuz i thought that there should b atleast 2 motions over the same spot, one horizontal, and one vertical. But if i move too slow wont the abrasives break down before i get to the second motion?

thanks

Comment

unfortunately i cant explain how slow since it over the internet unless some one else chimes in but if you get a chance look at the meguiars video called How to remove a defect it should talk about this....

also another thing i was taught make three passes three different directions for example left to right making sure you pass about 50% overlap and then up and down then catty corner then repeat three times but being aware if the product lighten up or is bearly visible but not buff dry.....

hope that helps...
                          im sure the pro will add to this

just remember the g100 is bubba proof and you will gain knowledge with experience and time plus experiment with it...
                          Last edited by Djmigs; Oct 19, 2005, 12:07 AM.
                          Miguel

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');