• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help on some buffer swirls by hand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help on some buffer swirls by hand.

Well I just joined here so I'm pretty new to detailing but getting around the forum and finding very good information. I just picked up a certified preowned A4 and noticed there were some huge markings which I thought was just left over residue but came out to find it was buffer swirls or the "hologram" effect.

I stumbled upon numerous threads staying to use Scratch X or Swirl X.. what do you think would be my best bet? Remember I've never dealt with anything like this before so I'm most likely gonna do this by hand since i don't have a buffer. Any info will be appreciated thanks!! Here are some pics by the way.

Re: Need Help on some buffer swirls by hand.

Well those are certainly the results of bad rotary buffer use.

Meguiar's preaches the idea of using the least aggressive method that will get the job done, especially when it comes to removing some paint since there is obviously a finite amount of it!

That said, SwirlX is the least aggressive consumer product, follow by ScratchX 2.0. Ideally you should start out testing the SwirlX in a 12x12 spot and examine the results. Then determine if you need to step up to something more aggressive or not.

Do keep in mind, though, that traiditonally speaking (and there are certainly many exceptions) Audi's tend to have a fairly hard clear coat. That said, you might want to pick up a bottle of ScratchX 2.0 as well (and it is a nice thing to have around for random scratches as well).

Here is a THREAD about technique for hand defect removal that should help out.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
      Well those are certainly the results of bad rotary buffer use.

Meguiar's preaches the idea of using the least aggressive method that will get the job done, especially when it comes to removing some paint since there is obviously a finite amount of it!

That said, SwirlX is the least aggressive consumer product, follow by ScratchX 2.0. Ideally you should start out testing the SwirlX in a 12x12 spot and examine the results. Then determine if you need to step up to something more aggressive or not.

Do keep in mind, though, that traiditonally speaking (and there are certainly many exceptions) Audi's tend to have a fairly hard clear coat. That said, you might want to pick up a bottle of ScratchX 2.0 as well (and it is a nice thing to have around for random scratches as well).

Here is a THREAD about technique for hand defect removal that should help out.

Mark

Thanks for the quick reply bro, I figured it was from improper use I guess i'll be heading over to walmart to pick up some Scratch X and Swirl X.. probably will wait till my next wash and then go from there..hoping for some good results!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fliplm0de View Post
        Thanks for the quick reply bro, I figured it was from improper use I guess i'll be heading over to walmart to pick up some Scratch X and Swirl X.. probably will wait till my next wash and then go from there..hoping for some good results!!
        You got it

Definitely make sure you are working on a completely clean surface that is cool to the touch. If you work in the sun the product will dry up too quickly and create a mess.

Comment

to MOL by the way

Mark is correct on what you should start off with. Go least aggressive first starting with Swirl X, move to Scratch X 2.0 if that doesn't work, and if Scratch X doesn't work you could move to Ultimate Compound.

Where in San Diego are you? There are a handful of members here who live in SD and would probably give you a helping hand or just a little demo to get you on your way if they live near by.

You could also run up to Meguiar's in Irvine for a Thursday Night Garage and learn from the best!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
          Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
            to MOL by the way

Mark is correct on what you should start off with. Go least aggressive first starting with Swirl X, move to Scratch X 2.0 if that doesn't work, and if Scratch X doesn't work you could move to Ultimate Compound.

Where in San Diego are you? There are a handful of members here who live in SD and would probably give you a helping hand or just a little demo to get you on your way if they live near by.

You could also run up to Meguiar's in Irvine for a Thursday Night Garage and learn from the best!
            Thanks! Looks like a great community so far.
            Sounds great, I'm down here by Bonita area, so thats always cool if i do find someone. I'm real new to detailing and am pretty excited on what a hobby...or addiction it may come haha. But I'll be sure to check out thursday night if i make it out on work on time.

Comment

Is the whole car hammered with holograms, or just the hood?

Comment

Is the whole car hammered with holograms, or just the hood?
                Mainly just the hood there are a few spots on the trunk lid but not as bad as the ones pictured.

Comment

Do keep in mind, though, that traiditonally speaking (and there are certainly many exceptions) Audi's tend to have a fairly hard clear coat.
                  Mark is exactly right here (on two fronts). It is impossible to say that all paints are one way or another, but in my limited exposure to Audi paint, they are rock hard.

I worked on one recently, started with M80, moved to M83, up to ScratchX 2.0 and finally to M105. Until I got to M105, I was barely putting a dent in the swirls. I ended up using my G110 + M105 + 4" LC Orange pad at speed 5, 2-3 passes, followed by M205 on a 4" White LC pad.

Can you say pain in the butt!
                  ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
                    Mark is exactly right here (on two fronts). It is impossible to say that all paints are one way or another, but in my limited exposure to Audi paint, they are rock hard.

I worked on one recently, started with M80, moved to M83, up to ScratchX 2.0 and finally to M105. Until I got to M105, I was barely putting a dent in the swirls. I ended up using my G110 + M105 + 4" LC Orange pad at speed 5, 2-3 passes, followed by M205 on a 4" White LC pad.

Can you say pain in the butt!
                    Yeah heard a lot about Audis clear coat but I guess this is the price we pay haha. I'll keep all this in mind when I attempt to remove these hideous marks, hopefully i'll return back with some productive work.

Comment

Bottom line, if you end up finding ScratchX 2.0 doesn't even touch it, then you may want to bypass the Ultimate Compound and step up to the M105.

Then you can work back down towards ScratchX 2.0 or SwirlX to finish out after the defects have been removed.

Comment

Bottom line, if you end up finding ScratchX 2.0 doesn't even touch it, then you may want to bypass the Ultimate Compound and step up to the M105.

Then you can work back down towards ScratchX 2.0 or SwirlX to finish out after the defects have been removed.
                        Hey mark it turned out GREAT using Swirl X, however i do have some tiny little swirls not sure if I just to work harder to remove that or its from the cheap foam pad im using and improper technique. Just wanna thank you for you're help and everyone else that chimed in. I'll be saving the bigger parts for after a full wash and i'll post pics!! Thanks again!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fliplm0de View Post
                          Hey mark it turned out GREAT using Swirl X, however i do have some tiny little swirls not sure if I just to work harder to remove that or its from the cheap foam pad im using and improper technique. Just wanna thank you for you're help and everyone else that chimed in. I'll be saving the bigger parts for after a full wash and i'll post pics!! Thanks again!!
                          Glad it worked out pretty well for you.

As for the remaining swirls, it's hard to say without seeing what exactly they are. You may just want to try another pass or two in a test spot and see if it looks like it will help.

I might be that you are seeing the small remainder of what was a deep scratch before that you have now leveled out to a great extent.

Comment

Well heres the update, been super busy and just finally was able to finish removing the remaining swirls with swirl x then followed with gold class wax. Thanks again for all the input and am definitely looking forward to using more Meguiar products!!

And a quick one from earlier today

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');