• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Color additive for light colored paints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color additive for light colored paints

Here is my suggestion...

I am perpetually frustrated by an inability to see my LSP or polishes on my light colored cars (white in particular).

Right now, I have three white cars that I do regularly (for family) and I can not see my LSP when applying or removing.

So, how about a "NXT 2.0 for White Paint" where the only difference is the addition of a non-staining dye which allows you to see the product against the cars paint?

Same EXACT product with a color additive which helps for application and removal.

Obviously the one problem I could foresee is that the dye might cause clarity issues, but I'm confident the chemical geeks at Meg's could figure it out.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Re: Color additive for light colored paints

I have a white truck and know where you are coming from. Like a stick of glue goes on purple dries clear! Good thought!

Comment

Hmm, when I would wash my white van, I would pull it into the garage and use the reflections off the paint as a guideline for places I waxed. Obviously, the unclear areas would be waxed and the places I could see perfect reflections were not waxed. Its how I did it for years when I moved the van into the garage.

Otherwise, I would wait until it gets slightly dark. The setting sun helps me see the waxed areas a lot more
      Hello, I am Isaac

Comment

I usually get on thin enough even on dark paints I have to do something similar to the above and use reflections to see where the product is actually at. Not just white cars.

Comment

Hmm. Maybe the easiest, and cheapest way for everyone to do this would be to develop a stand alone product that was a dye intended to be added into existing bottles of wax. Then even people who choose not to use Meguiar's wax (I know, crazy idea, lol) could still buy a Meguiar's product for their waxing process.

Pretty good idea... I think you're on to something.

Comment

I would like to see something this also. I repeatedly over use #21 or #26 and have to deal with streaking.

I have a hard time believing I have good coverage unless I can see the wax on the paint.

Mike
            Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Great suggestion, lots of people with white cars have brought this up on the forum, (not as a suggestion like this thread which is the best thing to do), and it comes up in our class once in a while.

This would be a very niche product so I'm not sure Meguiar's would ever undertake such a specialized product but your suggestion will be read by management.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mix in some of that color change sunblock? It's gotta help protect the paint too, right!?

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                  Mix in some of that color change sunblock? It's gotta help protect the paint too, right!?
                  Great call. Great idea... add in special UV protection, so it can be used with all waxes as a beneficial additive, regardless of paint color. I think we are on to something...

Comment

Just have to run it by the few over at F150online and TDC for their thoughts, lol!

NXT 3.0- "Our famous NXT 2.0 with color changing sunblock dried-wax indicator additive." w00t

Comment

what about a hand held light that picks up any wax residue? owning a white vehicle myself, even after application and removal of what I think (all) residue, I find myself finding some a day or too later. Maybe add something to the wax that a xenon light can pick up and nothing else. I dunno, maybe I'm watching too many CSI shows!!

Comment

Originally posted by bsibold View Post
                        what about a hand held light that picks up any wax residue? owning a white vehicle myself, even after application and removal of what I think (all) residue, I find myself finding some a day or too later. Maybe add something to the wax that a xenon light can pick up and nothing else. I dunno, maybe I'm watching too many CSI shows!!
                        That may not be a bad idea. I have LED, bulb, and xenon flashlights. I will try them at my next wax to see it helps see wax on the car that my eyes alone can't see.

I need to be able lay down a thin layer of wax confidently so I can break out my #16 one of these days.

Mike
                        Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by bsibold View Post
                          Something that will show up under UV (black) light?

Comment

roofs of white vehicles are the difficult ones to me.
                            Good suggestion

Comment

Actually, if that color changing paint ever goes into production, you can just turn the vehicle black when you are waxing...problem solved!

Sure, the whole "temporary vehicle paint" idea was a fine concept if you adored hassles, but Nissan scientists at TK have a much cleaner approach for those who appreciate easy. The effect is paint color change at the press of a button, and the secret is a "special polymer containing paramagnetic iron oxide particles," which is applied to the whip's exterior; an "applied electric current then adjusts the spacing of small crystals within the iron oxide particles, and therefore affects their ability to reflect light and change color." Essentially, vehicles could rock a default color when turned off, and then your imagination could go wild once you turned over the ignition. If all goes well, expect to see commercial applications ready to roll by the time Fast and the Furious: 10 Times 2 Many hits theaters (or 2010, whichever comes first).[Via Autoblog]Update: Sounds like Nissan expressed some interest and / or viewed a demo of the tech, but isn't actually the developer. Quite in fact, we're not entirely sure which scientists claimed to have developed this tech in the first place, but we'll let you know if more details become available.
                              Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');