• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy to forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy to forum

Hey everybody!

Just signed up. Just started using the Meguiars products. I have a 99 XK8 Red Convertible. Just gave it its first wax from me. Used Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Car Max. Just washed the car and put on the wax. (looks great). How long should the wax last? How should I prep the car next time?

Hey mate,

WELCOME TO MOL!!!

In terms of prepping a car, read the following.

Best to check if you need a good clay bar done, then paint polish/cleaner, wax, sealer. Its all below though for ya.

cheers

The 5-Step Paint Care Cycle.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

How To Wash Your Car using the Two Bucket
    Method

How To Clay Paint

How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove - The Swipe Test

and in terms of how long wax should last, it all depends on how its put on etc...but some people wax and it last two weeks while others put it on and it lasts 6 months. weather conditions play a huge part as well as where your car is parked etc...

GOODLUCK!!!

POST SOME PICS!!!

Comment

Here is a older shot of the car, I'll try to get some good shots this weekend. The car was being considered for a Rolex ad last week, but they wanted to remove the door. I said no.

Comment

I know that Meg has lots of products, given what I just read above, and given the color of my car, what would be the best exact products to use?

Comment

Here is a engine shot, I have detailed it best I can (with no real knowledge of engine detailing). Not bad looking with 62k miles on it.

Last edited by 99jag; May 11, 2006, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Well, when you ask for products, you will get 100 different answers.

Working by hand, and assuming no swirls/scratches to remove, here are my thoughts, at least somplace to start looking.

Wash - Gold CLass Wash

Clay - Smooth Surface Clay

Clean - Deep Crystal #1

Polish - Deep Crystal #2, or #7 Show Car Glaze. DC#2 is easier to use, #7 is trickier, but looks a little better.

Wax - #21 Synthetic Sealant. Remember 2 thin coats is best.

And of course towels, sponges, applicators, etc. And glass cleaners, tire shine, general cleaners, interior products. So much stuff....

If you really like the short cut with cleaner waxes, either Cleaner/Wax or ColorX, try this:

1. Wash - Gold CLass

2. Clay - Smooth Surface

3. Cleaner/Wax or ColorX

4. Wax - 1 coat of #21.

Just a little shorter due to combining steps, though remember separate steps give better results.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Guys this is all great info!

Looks like my weekends will be filled with 'Wash on, Wash off' lol.

Comment

Mur1525,

Quote '#7 Show Car Glaze. DC#2 is easier to use, #7 is trickier, but looks a little better.'

why is it trickier? (boy, do I have lots to learn)
                Last edited by 99jag; May 11, 2006, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Ordered the Wax, Synthetic 21 and show Car Glaze #7.

Need to order Clay and Deep Crystal #1.

Since I just waxed the car, I have some time before I'll need all the new stuff. Can wait to try this multi step approach.

Comment

to MOL
                    good luck with the 5 step!
                    take lots of pics
                    Patrick Yu
                    2003 Honda Accord
                    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

I just got here and I've learned a lot already.

Comment

This is a cool site, never even knew about it until recently. Its great to get this type of info. With all the products that Meguiars offers, it is very confusing on which ones to pick and use.

I would have taken my car to the local cruise night tonight with its new wax job but its in the shop for some work. Even though I drive a Jag right now, I really love old Pontiac's. I will be getting a 69 Firebird one of these years. I also love the 68 GTO's, well actually all the GTO's. I'm a member of the Garden State GTO Club. Some cool folks. Also a (soon to be )member of the North America Jaguar Club.

Also enjoy surfing the car forums.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');