• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

motor home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor home

I am trying to wax my motorhome. I dont think it has ever been waxed. I have tried Meuiar's No2 fine cut and #50 cleaner and wax. I can not get all the wax off and it looks like I can still see marks as to how I applied it. Have tried rubbing compoung and power buffer and still looks like wax is still on motorhome. It is not painted but I think it is a gel coat of some kind. maybe fiberglass. If I use windex after I wax i get a black color on my towel. The motorhome is a 1987 fleetwood. Thanks Gmann

Re: motor home

Hi gmann55,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Let's break this up a bit...
    Originally posted by gmann55
    I am trying to wax my Motorhome. I dont think it has ever been waxed. I have tried Meguiar's No2 fine cut and #50 cleaner and wax.
    Just to note, we have two versions of M02 that can be found on the market, a previous formula which was for use with a rotary buffer only and our newest formula which can be applied using a rotary buffer, dual action polisher, orbital buffer and by hand. If you read the back label it should state how you can apply it and by this you can know if you have the older formula or the newer formula.

I can not get all the wax off and it looks like I can still see marks as to how I applied it.
    Our cleaner/waxes typically wipe off pretty easy unless you apply to thick of a coating.

Have tried rubbing compound and power buffer and still looks like wax is still on Motorhome.
    what specific type of buffer is this? A rotary buffer or a traditional orbital buffer.

Like this, (Rotary Buffer)

Or this, (Traditional Orbital Buffer)

It is not painted but I think it is a gel coat of some kind. maybe fiberglass.
    Kind of the same thing. Gel-coat is typically pigmented polyester resin with some type of fiberglass matte or weave added behind it to give it shape and strength. You're likely working on Gel-coat.

If I use windex after I wax i get a black color on my towel. The Motorhome is a 1987 fleetwood. Thanks Gmann
    What color is the Motorhome?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

the motor home is a light tan in color. I am using a buffer like the 3 guys are. gmann

Comment

Bump!

Still looking for pointers on fiberglass.....
        "Now go home and get your shine box"

Billy Batts in Goodfellas

Comment

Originally posted by Elmer
          Bump!

Still looking for pointers on fiberglass.....
          Hi Elmer,

I modified your signature line, hope you don't mind.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by gmann55
            the motor home is a light tan in color. I am using a buffer like the 3 guys are. gmann
            The tool the three guys are using is a rotary buffer.

The rotary buffer is a powerful tool which will enable you to remove a lot of oxidized gel-coat very quickly, it will also tend to instill swirls unless you follow your aggressive step with a less aggressive step.

If you're seeing 'marks' in the pattern in which you applied it, then it could be that you have not thoroughly and evenly remove all of the oxidation.

Because most Motorhomes are large, at least compared to the average car, removing the oxidation from a Motorhome will require you work section by section and overlap both your passes and your sections.

This will take you some time and is certainly not a procedure you can rush.

We don't know what kind of rubbing compound you're using because you don't state the brand or type, but generally speaking rubbing compounds are horrible products for any process or surface.

Instead, you might want to consider trying one of our aggressive oxidation removes which utilize diminishing abrasives in a rich, lubricating film. From least aggressive to most aggressive,

M44 Color Restorer
            M49 Oxidation Remover
            M67 One-Step Compound

Meguiar's always teaches the philosophy of,

Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

If you're not seeing the results you expect and desire with our one-step cleaner/wax, then we suggest you try one of the above oxidation removers and follow this product with our M45 Boat/RV polish and than after that seal the surface with on of our waxes, you could use the M50 Cleaner/Wax or perhaps try one of our other protection products on this page.

Boat & RV waxes

When it comes to pad choice for this project, you can use wool pads for the cleaning, or oxidation removal step and then use our W-8000 or W-8006 foam polishing pad for applying the M45 Polish.

The wax can be applied by hand or with an orbital or dual action polisher. If you choose you can also apply some waxes with a rotary buffer but it tends to leave swirls in the finish.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
              Hi Elmer,

I modified your signature line, hope you don't mind.

Not at all. I think I like it better now....

Comment

I am a pro detailer and we LOOOOOOOOVE RVs!!

A neglected fiberglass RV will be dull/hazy and you may get a chalky powder on your hand if you rub your hand on the surface.

Weathered fiber glass is very porous. It is extremely difficult to polish out evenly.

If not done properly in will look discolored. I bet you’re getting a surface that isn’t consistent or even looking.

I wouldn’t use a rotary buffer on it. I would use a dual action polisher. It will be easier to remove the “dead” fiberglass and to lay down an even coat of wax on the freshly polished fiberglass. Even when it is all done correctly you still may see the unevenness in the color.

The trick is to get everything as even as possible. This means making multiple passes with the polisher making sure to change up the direction every couple of passes.
                Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine

If not done properly in will look discolored. I bet you’re getting a surface that isn’t consistent or even looking.

This is what we we're try to explain with this sentence,
                  Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                  If you're seeing 'marks' in the pattern in which you applied it, then it could be that you have not thoroughly and evenly remove all of the oxidation.
                  Joe's very good, and has a lot of experience working on RVs, his advice is usually worth its weight in gold.

If you don't already own a G100 dual action polisher, for the amount of work involved and to avoid instilling swirls with a rotary buffer, do consider investing in a dual action polisher.

Rotary buffers offer speed but at a cost.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Update.....

Now that I've done some polishing on my RV.... I've taken off quite a bit of oxidation... (sore arms)....... and the UOISAS (Uneducated Owner Induced Scratches And Swirls.....), really show up.

Hmmmm... maybe the oxidation wasn't that bad......

I've got a LOT of work to do.........

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');