• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner from Albany, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner from Albany, NY

Hey everyone

I've been using Meguiar's products for a few months now and I really like them.

My current Meguiar's lineup isn't big but I have the Deep Crystal line, ScratchX and the Cleaner Wax.

I really want to get into a small business doing cars at my house so I'll probably ask a lot about products.

I have an 88 Dodge Shadow that I constantly detail and work on. I used ScratchX with *8* coats today and got the scratch to not show as badly, but still didn't go away. I used the technique of rubbing it in (at least 5 minutes rubbing with pressure) and then re-waxing it. Could just be really hard paint.

Right now these will be my next purchases.

UQD
    Meguiar's Hot Wheels
    Smooth Surface Clay Kit
    Meguiar's Dual Action
    NXT 2.0 Wax

I'm not sure what I need after that?

Anyways, I think I put too much in this post. :P

Regards,
    Ken

Re: Beginner from Albany, NY

5 minutes sounds like working it in too much... one application in a small area shouldnt really last that long. But the paint itself is also a factor.

There is all kinds of stuff to get... here are some good links for the G110/110, and in general. After that, wheel products, glass cleaners, all purpose cleaners, trim detailers, tire shine, interior products, metal polishes... towels, cloths, sponges, Grit Guards, soaps.... there are a lot of things. You'll definately want some #80 though, not sure about #105 with just a PC.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
    Step 1 Wash
    Step 2 Clean
    Step 3 Polish
    Step 4 Protect
    Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover

Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Welcome, Ken!

I was born and raised in Albany, then moved to Syracuse in 1995.
      However, I still get back home as much as I can.

If you wish, I can go over a detail with you next time I am in the area.......(free, of course)

Check your PM for information.

Comment

SYDSTER

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          5 minutes sounds like working it in too much... one application in a small area shouldnt really last that long. But the paint itself is also a factor.

There is all kinds of stuff to get... here are some good links for the G110/110, and in general. After that, wheel products, glass cleaners, all purpose cleaners, trim detailers, tire shine, interior products, metal polishes... towels, cloths, sponges, Grit Guards, soaps.... there are a lot of things. You'll definately want some #80 though, not sure about #105 with just a PC.
          Thanks for the information. I have a lot of the stuff you mentioned including 50 huge microfiber cloths... besides tire shine and interior products

Would I use the #105 on bad scratches and swirls, then the #80? And on cars with not bad swirls could I use just #80?

Comment

Welcome to mol.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Hi and welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Allen View Post
                Thanks for the information. I have a lot of the stuff you mentioned including 50 huge microfiber cloths... besides tire shine and interior products

Would I use the #105 on bad scratches and swirls, then the #80? And on cars with not bad swirls could I use just #80?
                #105 is a rather new product, dont know a whole lot about it, but I have a feeling it is meant for rotray use, not PC.

At the moment, #83 with a PC would be for the worse scratches/swirls, and #80 for the regular swirls, etc. If #83 wont touch them, then it is up to a rotary, assuming they are fixable.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Welcome to MOL!
                  If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Albany NY in the house here as well..

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');