• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-painting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-painting question

Hi, I'm Wayne and I have a quick question....

I have just had my 1988 Camaro re-painted. I washed it for the 1st time and then noticed that the solution had zip wax in it, did I do any damage to the paint? If so what do I do now?

Thanks,
    Wayne

Re: Re-painting question

How long did you wait after the re-paint to wash it and how long did the painter recommend you wait?

Ryan
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Originally posted by waynej1929 View Post
      Hi, I'm Wayne and I have a quick question....

I have just had my 1988 Camaro re-painted. I washed it for the 1st time and then noticed that the solution had zip wax in it, did I do any damage to the paint? If so what do I do now?

Thanks,
      Wayne
      Nothing to worry about... there's probably some kind of wax or silicone or polymer in the product but a simple wash isn't going to seal your paint and that's why it's not recommended to apply a wax or paint sealant to fresh paint.

If you want you can polish the paint with any of our pure polishes and just the simple act of rubbing one of our non-abrasive pure polishes over the paint will not only make the paint look great but will remove any residue left by the car wash.

And if you love your car it's kind of fun too!

Just to note, most body shops will "glaze" a car after it's painted before the customer picks it up to make it look its best and thats the exact same thing as applying a Meguiar's pure polish, for example,

M07 Show Car Glaze
      M05 New Car Glaze
      M03 Machine Glaze
      M81 Hand Polish

The above are all non-abrasive pure polishes and used in body shops to polish or glaze fresh paint.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike for your help.

Wayne

Comment

Ryan,

To answer your questions, the body shop said to wait 6 months before I apply any kind of wax. It has been a week and a half since it was painted.

What product would you recommend I use to keep the finish looking great?

Thanks,
          Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by waynej1929 View Post
            Ryan,

To answer your questions, the body shop said to wait 6 months before I apply any kind of wax. It has been a week and a half since it was painted.

What product would you recommend I use to keep the finish looking great?

Thanks,
            Wayne
            Most paint manufactures recommend between 30 to 90 days before applying any kind of product that will seal the surface as this can prevent outgassing. We always recommend following your painter's recommendations.

Here's an article that explains in detail what's taking place and why you were told to wait.

Paint Needs to Breathe

In this thread it brings up a cleaner/polish we offer that actually contains a protective, but paintable polymer so you get a little protection but you won't seal the surface, the product is M80 Speed Glaze and it's very popular for removing swirls with a DA Polisher but you can also use it by hand on any kind of paint including paint as fresh as a day or two old.

You can also use ANY of our automotive pure polishes.

M07 Show Car Glaze
            M05 New Car Glaze
            M03 Machine Glaze
            M81 Hand Polish
            Deep Crystal Polish

Just work clean, that means make sure the paint is free of any dirt or dust, wash or wipe clean before applying any kind of product and then use clean, soft applicator pads to apply any paint care products.

Use high quality microfiber polishing cloths to wipe off the polish and remember polishes don't need to dry and should not be allowed to dry, simply wipe on, work in gently like applying lotion to your face skin and then wipe off gently and move on until you go all the way around the car.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Shows how different painters ask different things. We had a portion of our Liberty repainted and I was told not to even wash it or touch it for 30 days and not to wax it or use any abrasives on it for 60 days.

Ryan
              Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Which car wash should I use to get the best results from my new paint?

Wayne

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');