• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introductory post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introductory post

Hello all, just joined yesterday. Happened to find this while browsing autopia.
    -Have washed and hand waxed using mostly cleaner waxes as I did not know that there was soooo much more than just washing and waxing. The girlfriend got me a PC 7424 and pad kit for xmas. So I am ready to get started learning and hopefully doing some correction work.

-Only Meguires products I have so far is the claying kit, yellow #26 paste and the Ultimate detailer. I have several products from the Pinnacle xmt line (carnuba finishing glaze, 360, intermediate swirl remover, ultra fine swirl remover, pad cleaner and prep spray, 180 wax) but I am looking at the new Ultimate compound. I used the 3M rubbing compound but it did not do squat for me, but I am sure it is from my inexperience with the product and the machine and working times etc...
    -The xmt ultra swirl did a decent job of making the hood on my girlfriends explorer look shinier and glossier, then I just followed that with 2 coats of 180 wax and it was super slick and clear reflections. Just played around with it for a little bit a couple days after xmas and it was too cold to do anymore. My plan is while my g/f is in FL next week to take it to our warehouse at work and do a thorough detail of it before she trades it in on a new tahoe. It has a lot of scratches from her lab jumping up and putting its paws on the side of it and from being 3 years old from normal daily driving and not being washed or waxed in the three years she has had it.
    -I was going to try the M105 but after reading multiple forums it seems like something I want to steer clear of for right now until I get some experience. I will go with the ultimate compound for now.

My goal is not to turn pro or make profit, just to keep my cars and friends and family cars looking pretty good and hopefully make them look much better over time as my learning curve gets better.

A question I do have, I believe I have read several places that I should probably use smaller pads if I want a fighting chance at doing some serious corrections. Should I either see if I can return some of my 6.5" (i think) pads for the smaller 4" ones? I think right now I have 1 big orange pad, 2 slightly smaller orange pads, 3 big white pads, 4 black big pads, and 1 blue big pad. I guess I can just work with what I have for now and just learn and see where I stand. Although like I said what I have and used on her black explorer worked great in my opinion, Im sure a pro would think differently.

My overall aresonal includes:
    Pinnacle XMT:
    finishing glaze
    interm swirl remover
    ultra fine swirl remover
    wolfgang 3.0 sealant
    duragloss pre-cleaner
    duragloss 601 i believe (the polish bonding agent)
    duragloss 105 total perform polish (which i know understand is a sealant rather than a polish. I was told to think about what the product does rather than what the name says)
    3 tins of collinite 476s (got on closeout at harbor freight for $7 a piece (awesome stuff I think)
    megs yellow #26
    poorboys ex-p sealant

probably a couple other things. I was also told to try and not get too many like things. To experiment with different things but ultimately I will always reach for a couple of products I will always use. I now know I have too many like products, but I guess that is how you learn.,

Sorry about the long book for my first post.

Mike
    2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
    2005 Honda CRF250R
    2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Re: Introductory post

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!! Read through the threads below to get you started.

Basic List O' Links
    List O' Links 2.0

Ryan
    Last edited by Ryan L.; Feb 9, 2009, 07:02 PM.
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

to MOL!

The threads Ryan has laid out for you are great.

If you have future questions, ask away in a new thread
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Hello and welcome to mol.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thank you all. I will read the threads he posted. Have already read through a lot of the how to's and a lot of the other ones. Seems to me this one is put together a little better than autopia to help people learn, but then again I am new to this so I am sure it is a wonderful site as well.

Thanks again
          2005 Honda CRF250R
          2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Welcome to MOL!
            '05 Arctic Blue Pearl Acura TSX
            '03 Silver Lexus RX 300

Comment

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Here's the link to the Detailing 101 forum which is a great catch-all forum and if you don't know which of other forums to post your questions then Detailing 101 is always perfectly acceptable

Detailing 101

You can simply copy and paste any questions and start a dedicated thread in the Detailing 101 forum.

Thanks!

Originally posted by 02zx9r View Post

A question I do have,
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks. And I appreciate all the time you have taken to create the how to's and ryan ( i believe). very helpful site.

Thanks again

Mike
                2005 Honda CRF250R
                2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Hi Mike. Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Mike
                  Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Thanks to all

I will eventually post the question about the pads. Gonna take a week or so and just read through all the older threads and see if I can find my answer there, and just study up.

Thanks again all
                    2005 Honda CRF250R
                    2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');