• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working on My 1992 Buick Roadmaster With Nice Original Paint!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on My 1992 Buick Roadmaster With Nice Original Paint!

Hello Everyone,

I am not only new to Meguiar's, but I'm generally a novice at body work. I have done a little in the past, but I have a new experience. I have pretty thoroughly gone over this website, but don't have an exact answer to my question.

I purchased a 1992 Buick Roadmaster in Michigan, which means it was exposed to all of those Michigan elements for at least 15 years. I recently moved to North Carolina, and now I want to really spruce it up. It has original paint and is in very good condition for 19 years old.

I am using Ultimate Compound with mixed results. I am fairly happy with most of the areas, except those areas that take the most abuse: hood, front of hood, and trunk. I am using UC by hand and am fairly strong, so I don't think a buffer will solve this problem. That problem is water marks and slight swirl scratches being left in the clear coat. I have rubbed 4 pass overs in spots of one square foot for about one minute for each pass over. A lot of marks are removed but many remain. The clear coat is now smooth to the touch.

Does a car this old require special consideration? Can these water marks and contaminants actually work their way down over the years or is this chemically impossible? Is wet sanding the next step to go down a few more micrometers?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Working on My 1992 Buick Roadmaster With Nice Original Paint!

Some pictures of your areas of concern would be very helpful. Recommendations could be made from observing what the pictures tell us.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');