• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Detail on New Car Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Detail on New Car Tomorrow

Hi there,

Set to do my first detail on a new to me Pontiac Solstice tomorrow, the car has minor swirl mark issues and Meguiars was backordered on their dual action so I bought a Porter Cable 7424XP kit from tools plus.

I ordered scratch X based on several forum postings that seemed to describe my situation, and #21 synthetic sealant along with a clay kit. I was hoping someone could give me some settings adivce. After I wash and clay, I have an orange, white, black, and blue ccs pad at my disposal. Should I use the white pad with the scratch X? and at what speed setting on the 7424xp? I'm assuming I should follow up by applying the #21 sealant with the black pad, but at what speed setting?

Thanks in advance!!!

Re: First Detail on New Car Tomorrow

Also switched the counter balance on the polisher to the one included with 7424xp for use with "6 inch pads" is this correct? Using the astro backing plate with lake 6" pad but not sure what the exact weight of that combo is?

Thanks!

Comment

Re: First Detail on New Car Tomorrow

I'm not too familiar with LC pads, but I would go ahead and use speed 5 for defect removal. I believe the order of aggressiveness from most to least aggressive is: orange white black blue.

You can start off using the white pad with Scratch X doing a test spot. See if it takes care of the swirls. If it doesn't then step up to the orange pad and do a test spot. If that still doesn't take care of the swirls, you might have you run out to Walmart or an auto part store and pick up some Ultimate Compound, which is a more aggressive product than scratch x. You really won't know what pad or product you will need (basically how aggressive you will need to get) until you do a test spot and see how it turns out. You might do a test spot, and it takes some swirls out, and not all of them, so go ahead and give it another go at that same spot. If it looks good after that second pass, then go ahead and do 2 passes per section for the whole car.

The point of the test spot is to figure out what your process for the rest of the car is going to be.

I believe you can use either the black or blue pads for the wax step with M21

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
      Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');