• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waiting for Chicago to warm up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting for Chicago to warm up!

Hi y'all.
    Been lurking here for a while, know very little about paint, detailing. No detailing experience, just a carpenter that likes to learn to do stuff for himself. I stumbled upon Mike Phillips open garage videos Youtube and found my way here.

By dumb luck, I have a bunch of Maguiars products I just picked up at a garage sale a few weeks ago - kid had a detailing business that didn't work and was selling stuff cheap (tools were gone) - but I grabbed:
    82 polish, 83, 85,
    Fine Cut cleaner 2,
    Heavy cut cleaner 4, Deep Crystal Polish and Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner. (and a bunch of other non-Maguiars stuff...)

I'm seeing a pattern of 105 / 205 fans here. I don't know the order of what to use or how, when... so thus me here learning. Trying to figure where the stuff I have fits in.

I have the urge to try some rotary work, I have a Harbor Freight down the road so picked up the $30 variable speed cheapo today. Now just workin on what pads to get. (I read somewhere here to toss the HF pads)

I called my friend Paul that owns an auto body shop, he's bringing home some freebe parts off wrecks tomorrow so I can practice (fender, maybe a trunk.)

If I have any success on the practice panels, I'll try my luck on my beater minivan - '96 Dodge with very neglected paint. No worried about it at all.
    Next car in the lineup is our silver 2002 Honda Odyssey, if I don't butcher the Dodge. I have also have a month old red Venza with barely a 1000 miles, really nervous to touch it with anything yet.

See ya 'round.

Re: Waiting for Chicago to warm up!

Edit: I was talking about Mike Pennington's videos pasted by Mike Phillips

And finally should break out of the 40's/50's and get some warmth this weekend to get some practice in.

1st noob question: I saw the two bucket video on washing with a mit. I've always washed with a soft brush on a handle. Never washed with a mit - is my method considered a no-no in the Maguiars high gloss world?

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');