• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Everyone

I bought a 2010 Camaro SS. The only dealership that had the car I wanted only sold them with Quantum paint protection and an interior protection. They wanted 1000.00 for it. I didn't want it so finally got them down to 400.00. I thought it was a rip off. After 18 months and about 80 washes the car still looked like new. I don't hand wash the car. I take it to a local car wash. They do use MF towels to dry the car...but I know because of my wifes 2011 black Acura TL that the wash puts bad swirls in the paint. The company doesn't sell the product to the public. Are you familiar with this product?? Does Meguire's plan on adding anything like this to your professional line??
    When I say the Camaro still looked like new I mean no swirls...there were about 6 real fine light scratches on the whole car.

Re: Hey Everyone

Welcome to MOL!
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Thank you. New to all of this. Bought the Meguires DA and an assortment of product to remove the swirls from the wifes Acura. Then my son bought a 2009 black Lexus IS250 that has pretty neglected paint. Black sure is pretty...but it shows every flaw!! I think the ultimate compound followed by the ultimate polish and ultimate wax should take care of the Lexus. Reading on the ultimate polish it says it takes out swirls...but reading in here it sounds like that might not be the case. Does anyone have any input on that?

Comment

Hi Dave! to MOL!

Ultimate Polish is not a very strong swirl remover. It's milder than Ultimate Compound for example. What that means is that, when everything else is held constant (same arm speeed, same pressure, same tool speed, same foam pad, etc), UP will remove less swirls than UC.

Here's a thread that shows you the aggressiveness order of the different cleaner/polishes: Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products.

How's the swirls on your cars?

Here's basically the steps I will use on your cars:
        1. Wash the car using a good car soap: Ultimate Wash & Wax or Gold Class Shampoo
        2. Clay: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit
        3. Use a cleaner polish to remove severe swirls, scratches and oxidation: Ultimate Compound via W8207 Softbuff 2.0 Polishing Pad with your G110v2
        4. Use finishing polish to amp up the gloss: Ultimate Polish via W9207 Softbuff 2.0 Finishing Pad with your G110v2
        5. Wax: Ultimate Wax or NXT 2.0 via W9207 Softbuff 2.0 Finishing Pad with your G110v2

For more information on how to properly use a dual action polisher, you need to read this article:
        D/A Buffing 101: An Introduction to the G110v2 (and similar)

You also need to read this article to get yourself acquainted with the proper cycle in the detailing process:
        Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Hope this helps!
        2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Welcome to MOL Dave.

UP will take care of minor swirling depending on what pad is used. Using a yellow pad will give more capability while using a black pad will give less capability. So if the car has swirls and you want to take care of them then you would want to use the yellow pad. However if you just have towel marks from doing wipedowns then you could use the black pad to remove the minor swirls and add a bit more of gloss.
          Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
          2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
          2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

Thanks for the info. The Acura has a LOT of very fine scratches or swirls. I'll try the UP on that with the black pad first...then if I don't get the desired results move to the yellow pad...then ultimate compound if need be. The Lexus the paint is pretty well abused. I'm going to have to use some touch up paint in some spots. Maybe some very light wet sanding then I hope the UC with the yellow pad will be aggressive enough to start with and work my way to the desired shine. I'm new to detailing. I do have some auto body training and knowledge of paint so hopefully that will help some.

Comment

Dave, do a test spot side by side on the hood with UP/black pad and UP/yellow pad and compare the results. The UP/black might not be strong enough to take care of the minor swirling. Its better to do the test spots and confirm side by side before you do the whole car and realize that wasnt the results you were looking for.
              Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
              2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
              2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

Thank you...I did see that in one of the many videos I have watched.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');