• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound, Synthetic Sealant 2.0 and Hybrid Ceramic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Compound, Synthetic Sealant 2.0 and Hybrid Ceramic

My car is a 1992 Dodge Stealth which has single stage paint, no clear coat. Color is Emerald Green Pearl. This is sort of a review, sort of a detailing method I accidentally came up with.

I had the misfortune to be driving on I-75 while bridges were being primed which led to thousands of tiny pink dots on the paint. Normally, I use Meguiar's M0216 M2 but that didn't have any effect. Neither did washing, using tar remover, gasoline or anything else I tried. These things don't dissolve.

After a few hours of trying to get this stuff unattached from the paint, I tried a spot with Krud Kutter which lifted the spots, however as soon as it dried, the spots re-stuck to the paint. I tried the Krud Kutter with an immediate spray of reverse osmosis water which didn't work either.

Ordered a bottle of Meguiar's G17220 Ultimate Compound, which in combination with the Krud Kutter did the trick, no more spots. Then I did another sweep with the Ultimate Compound to correct some swirls. I'll state that I keep the paint on this car as perfect as I can. The Ultimate Compound didn't make the paint look any better but did a great job of swirl removal.

What I noticed is that this combo removed a lot of surface and deep dirt, judging by how black the micro fiber towels were when done and the smoothness of the paint. I grabbed a clay bar and tried a few spots and the bar picked up pretty much nothing so confidence was high at this point. Plus it corrected a lot of the pesky swirls that the M0216 never was able to remove.

9 hours of scrubbing and polishing later, the entire car was stripped and clean.

Then I came up with the idea to combine two Meguiar's products, Meguiar's Synthetic Sealant 2.0 and Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax which I usually use right after one another with the synthetic sealant being applied first. I did this simply because I was tired and worn out from the entire dot removal process and was not looking forward to several more passes over a complicated auto body.

What I noticed is threefold.

First putting both on a new foam pad created an interesting odor.

Second, this combo visibly was absorbed by the paint. After removing the residue, the depth of the shine was astounding - better than I've ever had using the synthetic 2.0 and the ceramic wax separately.

And third, Two coats were needed to make the coverage consistent. I just kept applying the combo until it stopped absorbing.

I'm still applying the second coat and will upload some pics when done.

Re: Ultimate Compound, Synthetic Sealant 2.0 and Hybrid Ceramic

Hats off to the hard work! And to keeping such an awsome car in great shape and showing so much respect to it!
    Post pics when your done.

Comment

Re: Ultimate Compound, Synthetic Sealant 2.0 and Hybrid Ceramic

Originally posted by Buddy View Post
      Hats off to the hard work! And to keeping such an awsome car in great shape and showing so much respect to it!
      Post pics when your done.
      Thanks Buddy. Even after I was done, I found another bunch of spots on the air dam this morning. They're easier to pick off now.

Here's the link to the album with today's images. https://photos.app.goo.gl/cLr8RLQZXuH6g6o99

One thing that always strikes me is because of the pearl metallic, it's hard to capture the actual vehicle correctly unless I stand some distance away, so all of the photos are reflections in the paint. The image with the ceramic wax bottle by itself is the deck lid in the sun so the flakes are pretty apparent. Plus this color changes to different shades of green depending on where you stand.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');