• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 Door Down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Door Down...

Alright so I finally found some time to get rid of the dealer swirls in my car. I guess my first note should be: If Subaru paint is supposed to be soft then I either need to start exercising more or get a machine.

Before:

"But how do you know they were dealer swirls and not something you put in?"
    Well, I thought it could be something I did at first, but the pattern near the bottom of the door and on the skirt follows a very large orbit, where marks I made would have been horizontal due to the shape.

2.5 hours later, with DC2 already applied. There are still some isolated scratches, which are probably ones I've put in, but the camer couldn't pick any up.

2 coats of Meg's Cleaner Wax:

The isolated scratches have all but disappeared. I know they'll probably come back as the wax and polish wears off, but it doesn't really bother me.

So now I have one door that, in direct sunlight, looks like something you'd get in a car show, and the rest of the panels are 6ft illusions. Good thing my holidays start in July - More to come
    Gil A. Castillo

Not bad, hopefully they are gone..

What cleaner did you use?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Sorry, I thought I mentioned it - Scratch X, Terry Towel. Foam pads worked, but it would've taken twice as long and my arm would have hurt five times as much. I seem to have problems getting a lot of pressure under the foam pad, which I figure is probably a good thing as far as causing more damage goes.

Also found that you can put more pressure on the lower parts of the panel by bending over instead of squatting down on it. The ergonomic way would probably be to get the wheelie bed out, but I don't think I'll need to press that hard on the panel now the swirls are gone.
      Gil A. Castillo

Comment

NO MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!! Allot of nice work! Looks sweet!
        Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Thanks Joe. Means a lot coming from you

A little Off-topic, a little on:
          Rewaxed the bonnet today to go on a cruise:

The car, even in swirled form definitely pops a bit more from its more modified colleagues (These were all N/A Imprezas).

I came home to find this stuff on my desk:

so I'll be comparing it against the Cleaner Wax sometime next week when I'm on holiday. Once I get my machine, I'll begin offering details to the guys in the club. I can just envision a dozen Subies driving through the edges of the city, all giving perfect mirror reflections
          Gil A. Castillo

Comment

What machine are planning to buy? Could you also post where and how much it will cost? Thanks!

Comment

2 Doors Down!

Originally posted by aldon
              What machine are planning to buy? Could you also post where and how much it will cost? Thanks!
              I've found a couple of choices from Bunnings (its a special order, make sure they know you want a dual-action, not a 2-in-one/3-in-one.

Narrowed to: (AU prices)
              Hitachi SAY-150A at $327
              Makita BO6040 at $584

For the Makita though I may as well import a G100 and get a transformer.

Update on the car:

Did the near-side front door and waxed with Gold Class. Cleaned and Waxed the near-side rear with another coat of Cleaner Wax. No visible diffirence yet, but we'll see how both compare.

Being completely car crazy, I went to a skidpan the next day for some defensive driving, and came home looking like this

Nothing a rinse and wash won't fix though!
              Gil A. Castillo

Comment

Dood.. your steering wheel is on the wrong side!

J/K

Car looks great man.. good work!
                ----------02' 35th Anv. Limited Edition SS----------
                561rwhp/541rwtq, M6, T-Tops, SLP option car, 1 of 1,037.
                --| TUNED BY FORCEFED PERFORMANCE | Mods: Boost.
                --

Comment

Originally posted by 35th Anniversary SS
                  Dood.. your steering wheel is on the wrong side!

I fixed it!!

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Note to self: Mirror all images before posting on MOL :P
                    Gil A. Castillo

Comment

^
                      ----------02' 35th Anv. Limited Edition SS----------
                      561rwhp/541rwtq, M6, T-Tops, SLP option car, 1 of 1,037.
                      --| TUNED BY FORCEFED PERFORMANCE | Mods: Boost.
                      --

Comment

Work continues. I wanted to make a 3 Doors Down band joke, but I'm getting more efficient, so I did two doors, the front quarter panels and the bumper this time...

Swirly swirly:

What was still on my car after washing post-skidpan day:

When I washed it, the dirt was probably made clear by the water, so as you can see its reappearing in low spots (the wheel wells have been watered and wiped down twice now, and there's still **** in them. Time for the steam cleaner).

It was a dry day. You can just see the miromarring in the light from trying to get rid of Scratch X that had caked on.

Marring fixed, panels polished but not yet waxed:

I mirrored the second shot to please left-hand drivers

Once again I waxed the front door with GC, and the back door with Cleaner. You can tell its Winter down here because I can do this:

No problems with the wax though, it still cleans and its durable enough for my waxing frequency. And if I ever have a power failure while I'm detailing, I can put a wick in it and use it as a substitute for my halogen!

Only bonnet, rear quarters, hatch and roof to go!
                        Gil A. Castillo

Comment

If Subaru paint is supposed to be soft then I either need to start exercising more or get a machine.
                          I don't think Subaru paint is soft at all; I think it's hard and a bit brittle. It's hard to polish, but it chips easily.

Nice work!

Tom
                          As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Yes, and the white chips really really stand out on bright red paint

Makes me wanna cry, but I'll have an excuse for a respray (in the same colour, but gold candy underlayer, of course ) if I ever get on the show car circuit.

Oh, just thought I should mention, my wheel is on the correct side. The world's most powerful WRX just recently made its runs. 500kw+ at4w, bright red bug-eye. And its registered in the world's biggest roundabout a.k.a. Canberra, Australia. So there
                            Gil A. Castillo

Comment

Re: 2 Doors Down!

Originally posted by WaspHunter
                              I've found a couple of choices from Bunnings (its a special order, make sure they know you want a dual-action, not a 2-in-one/3-in-one.

Narrowed to: (AU prices)
                              Hitachi SAY-150A at $327
                              Makita BO6040 at $584

For the Makita though I may as well import a G100 and get a transformer.
                              if you want a rotary i recommend the Metabo PE12-175

ive started out the rotary using this, and its awesome.. also the lightest rotary at 2.2kg

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');