• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sea of Black - An Each One Teach One PC Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea of Black - An Each One Teach One PC Day

Another Each One Teach One PC session today!

Took a trip up to Montrose to visit Malcom44 from the forum and Tommy (Bainie from DW) popped down from Aberdeen for the day too... Not intending to do a full detail here, the point of the day being to show various products on the PC, application techniques to get the best from the products and the tool. Both cars - an Audi A4 and a Vauxhall Astra VXR both in black - were demonstrated on.

Audi A4
    This car was a little over a year old and in very good condition with only light swilrs visible in the paint:

As the swilrs were just light, I decided to first demonstrate good old Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze, using a Sonus SFX-2 enhance pad. Now Audi paint is very hard, but as always with a detail, you should always trial a light abbrassive product first of all to see if it will generate the results. Also, I have personally found #80 to have much more defect removal power than most people give it credit for!

So, spread on speed 3 and then several passes on speed 5 with medium pressure to fully break down the product. They key of the demo here was to show Malcom and Tommy when the product had truly broken down, taking many more passes than you would first expect... Once fully broken down (residue gone clear), it was wiped off very quickly and easily with a Costco microfibre - the result:

The light swilrs removed, no need for heavy abbrassives - just techniqe and thoroughly breaking down the product.

There were however areas of deeper scrathces on the car so for these, I demonstrated Intensive Polish which Malcom had pruchased a bottle of - spread on speed 3, then two or three passes on speed 5 with no pressure, then a few more passes on speed 6 to fully break down the product with light to medium pressure for the final passes. A fast cut method, but it proved effective on the light swirls and the deeper ones. Malcom then finished the bonnet and the two front wings using the Intensive Polish:

I also demonstrated Power Gloss slow cut method, following with IP to remove micromarring.

Following defect removal on the bonnet and wings, I demonstrated one of my favourite products, especially for black cars: Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze. First of all applied by hand to half the bonnet, Meguiars foam applicator and gently worked into the finish and removed with a Costco microfibre, several passes. Many issues with #7 residue with difficult removal, the trick is not to remove it all in one go but make two or three passes with the microfibre towel: in the first pass, aim to remove some of the oils residue, then more in the next and if necessary make a third. #7 skins, so you have to break up the skin to remove. Change wipe direction with each pass. Then finish with a clean side of the microfibre (use two mfs if doing a whole car) by gently buffing to a high shine. Both Tommy and Malcome noticed the difference in the finish between the #7'd section of the bonnet and the non-#7'd bit - the colour was deeper and the reflection glossier on the #7 side. On the other half I shows PC application - spread at speed 3, then three passes at speed 5 with only light pressure. Residue removed as above. Malsome then completed the wings, the results of this process:

Astra VXR
    Tommy's Astra was nearly new, and so was only showing the traditional dealer swirls, which were no bad but still not a shining example of how a new car should be prepared...

I demonstrated the #80 on one half of the door, applied as above to the A4: the key being, making sure its thoroughly worked, and not stopping too soon. I also highlighted the imprtance of keeping the PC level, as tilting stopped the pad spinning, and the problems of too much pressure being applied... After one set of passes with #80, the results:

Swirls removed. As Tommy got Sonus SFX-2 Enhance polish with his PC, I showed Tommy this product as well, using a Sonus SFX-2 pad. Spread at speed 3, two passes at speed 5 and then three or four at speed 6 to break down the polish. Tommy then did the second half of the door, the results:

Swirls removed and a great finish. :thumb:

I then demonstrated Meguiars #80, 6" Meguiars W8006 polishing pad on the VXR's front wing which was quite complex in the terms of the curves on to show the PC positioning and flow with the panel shape... The wing before:

Light swirling which #80 would easily remove, espeically given #80s performance on the solid Audi paint! Spread at speed 3, then worked thoroughly on speed 5, highlighint how to keep the pad spinning over the curves by moving the PC and adjusting the pressure to suit. Once worked, the residue removed easily with a microfibre, and the result:

Swilrs successfully removed.

I then showed Tommy how to apply #7 to the car, and he then applied #7 by hand to the wing and the door. This deepened the colour nicely, the results:

Delighted with the finish on bothtest areas, it was time to seal in - Menzerna FMJ applied by PC (spread on speed 3, LakeCountry Red Finsihing pad), left a couple of minutes and buffed off with ease.

An excellent day, and I really enjoyed showing Tommy and Malcom the ropes with the PC on two cracking cars. They both picked the PC up really quickly and were happily achieving great finishes on their cars, showing the power of the PC. Great stuff, and a great day! Look forward to seeing the completed cars now guys! :thumb:

Finally, a couple of shots of the pair of cars being detailed:

"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

BEAUTIFUL!!

Alex
    Mandarina Racing

Comment

Re: Sea of Black - An Each One Teach One PC Day

What a great job!!! The Astra is so beatiful .

Black paint looks great but it can be a nightmare too.

Comment

An excellent write-up and a demonstration

Comment

Did I see a watch and ring while working on the car? You still a great write up. Excellent work on the cars.
          2016 Focus ST

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');