• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detail: Volvo XC90...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detail: Volvo XC90...

So when I drove the Mustang back to my neighbors house his wife came out and and liked what I did to the car. She asked me to do her Volvo XC90. I said sure, bring it by at 8 in the morning and I will see what I can do. The V8 AWD XC90 had some power. I was surprised.

Refer to this thread on the Mustang detail:

We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

Car was dropped off at 8:15 am. I drove the husband back home. I then looked the car over.

Overall the paint was in great condition. Just light swirl marks from improper drying. It was cloudy in the morning, so the paint looks in great condition. It was not up to my standards.

Oh, what is that I see? Looks like someone got bombed.

Found a little mark. This was later removed.

Washed the car with Gold Class. Cleaned the rims with Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner. Applied Hot Wheels Tire Shine to the tires.

I did a few test spots with clay and found the paint did not need to be clayed. I pulled out the DA and used #80 with a 8006 pad. I found the paint to be on the soft side so I was able to move quickly on each panel. The swirls were removed.

I applied NXT 2.0 by hand.

Applied Natural Shine to the side mirrors and plastic trim.

Stoner's Invisible Glass on the windows.

Look boys and girls, no swirls!

I'm upset I didn't get any before shots of the engine bay. It was dirty. I did a quick wipe down and applied Natural Shine to the plastic pieces.

Kman seal of approval.

And we are done.

Comments? Questions?

Black is a detailer's final test."

[Edited for non-family friendly language. Please refer to the Forum Rules; thanks, Tim]
    /Keith
    2001 LT Tahoe | Hybrid Wheels - Depo Headlights with DDM HID's (55w @ 4.5k) - Clear Corners - Sonar LED Tail Lights (Red Smoked)

www.LakeMeadOnline.com

Re: Detail: Volvo XC90...

Looks Great! Nice Job!
    SYDSTER

Comment

Nice shine to that car!! How does it drive?

Ryan
      Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Nice work. The car looks great. Nice reflections.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks guys. The car drives really nice. I didn't go over 20 mph when I drove it back to their house.
          /Keith
          2001 LT Tahoe | Hybrid Wheels - Depo Headlights with DDM HID's (55w @ 4.5k) - Clear Corners - Sonar LED Tail Lights (Red Smoked)

www.LakeMeadOnline.com

Comment

Very nice, very wet look. Keep up the good work bro

Comment

Hey,

Very nice work! The car looks great!!

I am surprised however that you found the paint to be "soft" and easy to work with. The last Volvo I did ( a brand new XC-70), the paint was as hard as glass! I spent hours using the rotary and heavy duty compounds to remove the swirls. The G-100 would not even make a dent into the swirls! I have worked on a LOT of vehicles over the years, using a rotary for around 19-20 years, and I have never come across a paint that drove me so nuts!

By chance was this a repaint? Do you have after sunshots of the hood etc?

By the way...I also edited a word in your post and changed it to "upset" to meet our family friendly language rules.

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
                Hey,

Very nice work! The car looks great!!

I am surprised however that you found the paint to be "soft" and easy to work with. The last Volvo I did ( a brand new XC-70), the paint was as hard as glass! I spent hours using the rotary and heavy duty compounds to remove the swirls. The G-100 would not even make a dent into the swirls! I have worked on a LOT of vehicles over the years, using a rotary for around 19-20 years, and I have never come across a paint that drove me so nuts!

By chance was this a repaint? Do you have after sunshots of the hood etc?

By the way...I also edited a word in your post and changed it to "upset" to meet our family friendly language rules.

Tim

Tim,

I can swing by tomorrow and try and get a hood shot if you want. The paint was very easy to work with.

The wife got the car from her boss since he was going back to Europe. The car is not repainted. The boss orders his cars directly from the factory in Sweden and then has them shipped over. Maybe they used a different paint?

The one shot I took in the direct sun was the most swirled area and you can see their was no swirls once I was done.
                /Keith

www.LakeMeadOnline.com

Comment

And thanks for all the nice replies.
                  /Keith

www.LakeMeadOnline.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kman View Post
                    Tim,

I can swing by tomorrow and try and get a hood shot if you want. The paint was very easy to work with.

The wife got the car from her boss since he was going back to Europe. The car is not repainted. The boss orders his cars directly from the factory in Sweden and then has them shipped over. Maybe they used a different paint?

The one shot I took in the direct sun was the most swirled area and you can see their was no swirls once I was done.
                    No no do not go out of your way...I am just curious as that paint must have been extremely opposite to the one I did. Perhaps because it is direct the paint is different...I do not know.

Again, great work!

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

The Volvo came out looking great. Nice job.
                      The Volvo V40 I worked on had hard paint and took some time to get the paint defects removed.
                      Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                      www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                      Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

That's very interesting about the paint. Makes me wonder.

It's supposed to rain on Wed. through Friday. I told them the NXT 2.0 sheets the water nicely.
                        /Keith

www.LakeMeadOnline.com

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');