• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotary debut - 1994 Toyota Camry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary debut - 1994 Toyota Camry

So I decided to take the plunge and get myself a rotary (Makita 9227). The motivation for ths was a friend of my wife's who wanted me to detail her car. Unfortunately she had washed her car and tried to remove some stubborn marks using a kitchen scourer . A couple of weeks ago I tried a couple of test spots using a DA + M83 + W8006 with no joy so I knew I needed something more powerful.

To complement my new toy I got M85 (Diamond Cut) plus some more pads (W8006 + W7006). I tried some test spots with various pad and product combos - M83 + W8006, M85 + W8006, M83 + W7006, but I eventually settled on the M85 + W7006 combination as it produced the desired results.

The car is a 1994 Toyota Camry with almost 300000km on the clock (299108 to be exact). It is used as a daily driver and has not had a proper detail in years/

The full process was as follows:

Washed with GC Shampoo

Clayed using Mild Clay (Blue) with Last Touch diluted 1:1 as lubricant

Washed with GC Shampoo again

M85 + W7006 with rotary

M83 + W8006 with DA

Washed again to get rid of all compound dust

NXT applied by hand

I was generally happy with the outcome, but probably could have done a bit more if I had the time. Got the car on Friday night and had to deliver it by Sunday at lunchtime. Some photos:

Before

Scourer inflicted scratches

Another random scratch

After wash and clay

Swirl City

After

Scouring and random scratch gone

Swirls history (well mostly)

Overall comments
    The rotary is an energy sapper for a newby trying to tackle a complete car. It was however fun to experiment and learn. I am definitely looking forward to some proper training and technique refinement from Mike and the guys at Meguiars. (The technical guru at Meguiars SA is also a Mike - there is obviously some truth to the rumour that having the name Mike gives you an advantage when applying for a job at Meguiars)

Re: Rotary debut - 1994 Toyota Camry

Great work it looks much better.

Comment

That is a huge improvement. The car looks 1000 times better. Great job. Way to go.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

A great improvement great job
        Pug 106 GTI Owner

MSN - bant15y@hotmail.com (Feel Free To Add)

Comment

Well done-and an inspiration to this weekend warrior in tackling some older vehicles. Nice pics too. I'm bookmarking your post to come back too!
          Michael
          Thanks for all the help!

Comment

That's a huge improvement!
            Great job on the car

Comment

SYDSTER

Comment

Working...
              X