• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hit and Run repair....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit and Run repair....

Was getting a hair cut, come out and see the following......

So I got an estimate from Armen's Auto Body and he told me it will be around $500. For the time being I made a decision to do what ever I could to make the damage less visible. Results were sealed in with Megs Carnuba & then NXT Sealant 2.0 over it.

Step1: First step was to take a better look at the original damage, there was surface scratches which was hard to see in the photo above the deep 1/4 scratch. Burgandy paint left on the right side of the bumper needed to be buffed as well. Person when hit my car pretty much damaged the whole face of the bumper but scratches came out fairly easy because as we all Know Honda has soft clear coat compare to other cars such as BMW and etc...

Step2: Here you can see everything is looking just fine after 2 applications of TW Polishing Compound for surface scratches.

Step3: Time to start working on the scratch which I had a feeling is not going to get much better but we will see...

Step4: Scratch has 5 layers of paint and ready to be left to dry overnight

Step5:12 Hours later using 2000 grit I sand everything down so the 5 layers of touch up paint is flush with the clear.

Step6: Same is done on touch ups I made where missing paint next to plate was from people hitting my bumper when parallel parking in Boston. Peoples plate screws always tear right thru Honda's soft paint

And the Final Results...

Up Close: Scroll up and take a look at Step4, as you can see sanding made the touch up less noticeable. But the damage was WAY too deep to make it look unnoticeable
    - Dmitriy
    K&N Filter, Berk TP, HKS Exhaust, CR Knob. HKS & Test Pipe (Video)
    http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8...merday2la9.jpg

Re: Hit and Run repair....

A lot better though! Good job!

Comment

Much better Dmitriy15.
      Can you explain how to you did the touch up? using brush or cotton bud or toothpick? Thanks before.

Comment

Great improvement. It looks a lot better.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

It looks much better.
          Hate to see this happen

Comment

Originally posted by gioprivatemove View Post
            Much better Dmitriy15.
            Can you explain how to you did the touch up? using brush or cotton bud or toothpick? Thanks before.
            Not sure how Dmitriy did it but I tend to use a cardboard matchstick cut at a 45 degree angle.

Nice job on the touch up Dmiitriy! It looks a lot better than it did!

Andy
            101impala
            Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
            Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Ahh......a victim of the Beacon Hill Bump?
              If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Just to chime in...

It's good Netiquette to keep you photos at a maximum of 700 to 800 pixels wide so that people don't have to horizontal scroll to see the entire pictures.

How to resize your photos before uploading

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks guys! Trying to keep it as clean as possible. I am really bummed and wish found out who did it. But hey what can yah do right?
                  - Dmitriy

Comment

Oh and mike, will do.

- Dmitriy

Comment

Why didn't you sand down the scratch, fill with plastic bumper repair, prime and touch up?

Comment

Originally posted by Alfaromeodriver View Post
                        Why didn't you sand down the scratch, fill with plastic bumper repair, prime and touch up?
                        You can make touch-up work as complicated as you want or you can keep it simple and basic, usually the more complicated you want to make it assuming you know what you're doing you can get better results. At the same time keeping it simple is better than doing nothing. (In some cases, some people can actually make things worse)

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Alfaromeodriver View Post
                          Because the repair was temporary and I didn't want to put in any more time in to it then I already have.
                          - Dmitriy

Comment

Good point....!

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');