• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black BMW 530i monster project M105 to M21 version 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black BMW 530i monster project M105 to M21 version 2.0

One question. Did you think wetsanding the finish was necessary or could the paint have been just compounded/polished/lsp without the wetsandind part? The reason why I ask, is I am unsure when wetsanding is necessary. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by new2detailing; Jul 29, 2008, 07:50 PM. Reason: duplicate sentences

Comment

Originally posted by new2detailing View Post
      One question. Did you think wetsanding the finish was necessary or could the paint have been just compounded/polished/lsp without the wetsandind part? The reason why I ask, is I am unsure when wetsanding is necessary. Thank you in advance.
      Wetsanding for the most part is a safer method for scratch removal than multiple passes with compound. I do check my work with a pro-paint gauge however so the clear coat is not compromised. With wetsanding, there is no heat applied to the clear coat and you can quickly remove scratches that are not "fingernail deep"...if you can feel the depth of the scratch with your nail, it's probably too deep for wetsanding repair.

Keep in mind, that I primarily wetsand OEM paint with 2500 grit and 3000 grit papers. I've used 2000 grit on some situations, but that's as far down the abrasive ladder as I want to go.

So, to answer your question: yes, I could have corrected the paint by just compounding with the rotary. But it would have taken multiple passes with more than moderate pressure on the machine to accomplish the job..thereby increasing the chance of burning the finish.

Toto
      Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Awesome work. I always enjoy your posts.

Comment

Great job. The Bemmer is so shiny that it looks like a mirror in some of your pictures.
          Joel
          Firefighter/EMT-B
          Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
          "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
          '99 F-150

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');