• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

old single stage black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old single stage black

This is one of my test hoods that I try different things with every once in a while, also told kevin brown (sorry kevin)that I was going to post this awhile ago and forget all about it plus just fiqured out how to post up on this web-site

This next picture is already taped off and started wet sanding with 600 grit ( I know what your thinking. LOL!!) I ran out of my 1500 grit so I just used some of my metal polishing sand paper, and this is a repaint so there's enough paint on it besides that I'm not going to take alot off because there are some pretty deep blemishes in it from being left out side for about 10 or 11 years and again it's just a test hood to play around with. But after the 600 I then went over it with 1200 grit.

This next picture is what I'm working with.

Here's after two passes if memory serves me right.

Here's what I used after the 105 to clear things up alittle and try to give it that liquid look!

And then here's after two slow passes at 600 rpm.

And the last picture with the tape removed to show the difference.

Hope you like this test as much as I did playing around with it, and all I have to say about M105 is one fantastic compound!
    Just to clarify this section of the hood looks fantastic but up close you can see alot of the blemishes from setting out under trees and by a river bank all these years but all in all it looks pretty good.
    ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
    You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
    Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Re: old single stage black

its looking good, im yet to even hold a rotary yet

Comment

Looks great. Thanks for taking the time to do the test for us. Way to go, Daniel.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Looks good!! Thanks for sharing

Tim
        Learning new things everyday

Comment

Oh yes! Improvement indeed!

Nice job

Comment

Just a note, generally speaking the softest paint there is to work on is single stage black paint, it has to do with the pigment type, (Carbon Black), adulterating the resin to bring it's hardness down, not increase it.

So if you're reading this thread please don't think that it's just as easy to sand and buff the clear coat finish on your new car.

Nice demo... don't you love working on single stage paints?
            (Except for the mess caused by the pigments)

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Looking good! Was it difficult to remove the 600-grit scratches with 1200 grit?

Comment

Nice job Dan! Thanks for sharing! That old hood looks pretty darn good.

Andy
                Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Great results! Gotta love M105!

Scott

Comment

Man I can not wait to practice with a rotarty and wool

Comment

I think I know what I am doing with the old hood off of my XR4Ti. It is single stage black as well. I need to learn how to use my rotary and that hood won't ever be used on my car again.
                      1992 Mustang 5.0L turbo notchback
                      1986 Merkur XR4Ti 2.3L turbo
                      1998 Explorer 5.0L

Comment

/M105testwithaoldblacksinglestage-1.jpg[/IMG]

Just to clarify this section of the hood looks fantastic but up close you can see alot of the blemishes from setting out under trees and by a river bank all these years but all in all it looks pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Great work! I know what you mean by the blemishes that remain...
                        Why not have another go at it to see how much more improvement you can achieve? Do you have a paint thickness guage?
                        If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Originally posted by kerrinjeff View Post
                          Looking good! Was it difficult to remove the 600-grit scratches with 1200 grit?
                          Not really I sanded alittle more then you would normally and took my time, but one thing I like to do to help so as not to sand to much paint off is to start with whatever grit and sand horizontal and then the next grit sand vertical and so on, it's what works for me and have had pretty good luck with this procedure, started out doing metal this way because when polishing metal you have to have every last sanding mark out or it shows up in the next to last step in polishing out of 4 to 5 steps.

Also like everyone already knows I have different test hoods that I try different things to and different technique's on so I wasn't to worried about going through because it was a repaint and I didn't sand to much in any spot and again took my time.

Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit View Post
                          /M105testwithaoldblacksinglestage-1.jpg[/IMG]

Just to clarify this section of the hood looks fantastic but up close you can see alot of the blemishes from setting out under trees and by a river bank all these years but all in all it looks pretty good.
                          Great work! I know what you mean by the blemishes that remain...

Why not have another go at it to see how much more improvement you can achieve? Do you have a paint thickness guage?[/quote] I have redid the left side edge and it looks pretty impressive better then this section because I got more of the blemishes out and had more time. No, went to harber frieght one saturday to pick one up when the gentlemen started a thread about it on here and wouldn't you know it, they had none in stock. So went back about a month later to pick up something else and my wife just had to bring it to my attention when I didn't have the extra money. LOL!!

Thanks everyone for the kind words, will be posting up some more details and a couple aluminum polishing jobs I did later this weekend.
                          ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                          You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                          Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Looks great!

It seems like M105 can remove every type of sanding marks.
                            Chris
                            Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');