• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hologram Removal Detail via Flex...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hologram Removal Detail via Flex...

Originally posted by PAUL BAZ View Post
    That is the quality of work that you get when you go to a body shop that the insurance co. steers you to. They are not doing it for your benifit .
    They get these shops to do it for cheap and that is the quality you get. Remember it's you're choice where you get you're car repaired .
    Yup....never ceases to amze me what the "professionals" get away with. I'd never accept that car in that condition. At least they keep the rest of us in business...

Comment

Originally posted by fzr confused View Post
      awesome work as always man ...i see LSP on here a lot, what does it stand for? sorry, but im a newb! i know its the final step/top coat of wax (right?), but wasnt sure what it meant.
      LSP = Last Step Product and can mean anything that is used as the final coating over the paint whether it be an AIO (All In One product), cleaner wax, synthetic sealant, or carnauba.

Comment

Thanks man

Comment

Bounty,

Excellent work, I hope to achieve results like these in the future. What size pads did you use. I also noticed you used ADS spec green pad, what does this mean exactly. Sorry for the silly question. Great job!

Comment

The afters really looked great. Thanks for the writeup and good pictures.
            Learning new things everyday

Comment

Originally posted by JSIN151 View Post
              Bounty,

Excellent work, I hope to achieve results like these in the future. What size pads did you use. I also noticed you used ADS spec green pad, what does this mean exactly. Sorry for the silly question. Great job!
              All Lake Country CCS pads are not created equal...different distributors request certain features during the build from Lake Country and they tailor the pads to order. They can even change colors. Autogeek for example uses the cheapest pads LC makes with no added features. Retailers like ADS and PAC incorporate design features into their pads that, while slightly increasing the price, also increase safety, performance, etc.

The ADS-spec pads utilize a beveled edge for increased smoothness over body creases, sloped panels, etc while allowing you to get effective correction on an angle with a Flex or rotary. They have a raised and back-cut mounting area for easy centering and added safety because you don't have to worry about the stiff velcro backing rubbing up against the paint. Remember the ADS-spec CCS Green pad is equivalent to the standard CCS White and is their "heavy polishing" pad. I've used them with success and won't use another AG pad...

Comment

Thanks for the info, that clears up ALOT of confusion

Comment

Bounty, when you said you were going to tell the shop to not finish with a rotary, what does the paint look like?

I'm curious as to why body shops use a rotary on the paint when they're done. Is it all lumpy or something? Is it something a DA can fix? My body shop did the same, and while they did a better job I of course can see lots of swirls, if I knew I'd have asked them to not use a rotary but I'm not sure on how the painting process works

Comment

Originally posted by xantonin View Post
                    I'm curious as to why body shops use a rotary on the paint when they're done. Is it all lumpy or something? Is it something a DA can fix? My body shop did the same, and while they did a better job I of course can see lots of swirls, if I knew I'd have asked them to not use a rotary but I'm not sure on how the painting process works
                    Rotaries are used on fresh paint for a variety of reasons including removing wetsanding/finishing marks, smoothing paint surface, producing a high gloss, or in the blending process when spot-painting is used.

The finishing work can be done via ROB but I'd use a Flex or rotary for the job...I'd just do it right or make sure I go back and removed any induced hologramming left behind by the rotary. The swirling was more than likely a byproduct of the wash at the body shop and again at Progessive prior to pickup. Using the same sponges, drying towels, no 2-bucket method, etc tends to leave lots of marks...especially on fresh or softer paints.

Comment

wow, great write up. I've not been on this site for a while and I just stumbled on this post and I am amazed at the detail that went into this job!! Can I ask what something like that might cost to have done?? I am in South Florida and I ned to learn this, but am scared to death to try these things on a 2 year old car!!

Comment

Fantastic!

In my books, that car looks better than new!

Comment

i know they didn't do a great job at all, but shouldn't they have been the ones to fix their mistake? i think its BS that they can return such sub-par work and not be held accountable. If anything, have them billed for the cost of the detail because of the poor quality. If they didn't do it right the first time, why would they the second?

Very good work!
                          Hitachi SP 18VA & PCXP
                          Rides: 94 XJ & 04 Explorer XLT

Comment

Originally posted by xterranole View Post
                            wow, great write up. I've not been on this site for a while and I just stumbled on this post and I am amazed at the detail that went into this job!!
                            Thank you but this job is really what I would consider to be fairly easy...some of the Lease Return Package details I have posted have gotten really intricate with engine details, heavy interior cleansing, two-step paint corrections, etc.

Can I ask what something like that might cost to have done?? I am in South Florida and I ned to learn this, but am scared to death to try these things on a 2 year old car!!
                            Well, since this was a referral from the same household as a previous big money lease return job I did a few weeks back and a coworker I cut her a break. For a regular customer a one-step correction like this would run in the $350 to $400 range....but you're more than welcome to come on over and try some stuff out and maybe get bitten by the detailing bug. Worked for my boy Danny:

Comment

thanks bounty. I'll be around on this board more when I get some time to learn more detailing skills.

Comment

Bounhty,

Great work as usual. Excellent write up also. The car looks factory fresh. Great work.
                                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');