• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercedes 500 Complete wetsand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercedes 500 Complete wetsand

My dad just picked up a 2003 E500 Mercedes Benz. I asked why he would just buy one out of the blue and he said "One time in a mans life, he is allowed to have a brain fart and just buys something hes always wanted"

Its not exactly my first choice of color, I would have opted for a black or maybe a silver, just not this "midnight blue". Anyways Back on topic

He complained alot about the unevenness of the paint so I told him I could fix that. And here is my first panel. I didn't really measure the paint even though I should have but in the end the results were good and this car will only need it once since its going to be his pride and joy and not a DD.

I basically did the one panel with 2000 grit sand paper and polished with my Flex DA with M105 and then with some m205

Before

( different panel but same issue)

and Final

After

Before

Pretty good results in my opinion without going to extreme on the sanding. I plan on doing 2 panels a day til I get it finished so I do not get so worn out and start slacking or cutting corners.

Re: Mercedes 500 Complete wetsand

Shaved paint makes me smile.

Nice work.

Did you Gage it b4 you started ?

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post
      Shaved paint makes me smile.

Nice work.

Did you Gage it b4 you started ?
      I know im going to be bashed for saying this but no, I didnt guage. Ive been practicing on a older panel for a while now and it took me a while to completely wet sand through the clear coat and what I did to the benz was just a light sanding since there was a bit of orange peel left over.

Ill try to get my hands on a paint guage and compare the left panel and the right one.

Comment

Good results! And you are a brave man (or not too afraid of your dad's wrath)

BTW, what sanding block did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by jlb85 View Post
          Good results! And you are a brave man (or not too afraid of your dad's wrath)

BTW, what sanding block did you use?
          I ended up using the uniblock or whatever its called by Meguiars and then some 3m sand paper.

Comment

Great results. Like a mirror.

Comment

Very impressive work. Good job.
              James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
              Calais Auto Detailing
              CalaisDetails@aim.com
              www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Very brave indeed.

I wish I had the balls to do that to my new Fusion, the paint looks like poo with the amount of orange peel it has..
                Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Great results. It's great to take care of you dad's new toy for him.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

very couragous work .... especially without the paint gauge, and using a DA...
                    I really wanna practice this one day...

btw, your dad must have been happy having a son as a detailer... hehehe
                    Ganesa,
                    Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

You only get to live once, so why not do it right?

Besides, wetsanding is completely safe. Compared to skydiving or textmessaging while operating a vehicle. .

Comment

Exactly

Ganesa, I guess its just payment to live under his roof til I find my own place and good paying job, :P

Comment

Nice job Max. Looks like you used some of what we learned at the Midwest get together.

Dave
                          You repair things with tools. You fix things with a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fischer View Post
                            I ended up using the uniblock or whatever its called by Meguiars and then some 3m sand paper.
                            Are you using the 3M Imperial Wetordry sandpaper?

If so, are you seeing any tracers marks that are particularly difficult to detect or remove after you have removed the hazes?

How long have your sandpaper been soaked in water?

The reason I am asking these questions is that I soaked my 3M Imperial wetordry sandpaper in soapy water for only 30min, and then used it immediately. I got some sanding tracer marks.

I used the same piece of sandpaper, soaked it overnight, and the amount of tracers was reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
                              Are you using the 3M Imperial Wetordry sandpaper?

If so, are you seeing any tracers marks that are particularly difficult to detect or remove after you have removed the hazes?

How long have your sandpaper been soaked in water?

The reason I am asking these questions is that I soaked my 3M Imperial wetordry sandpaper in soapy water for only 30min, and then used it immediately. I got some sanding tracer marks.

I used the same piece of sandpaper, soaked it overnight, and the amount of tracers was reduced.
                              Yes I ended up using the imperial wet or dry sand paper, I first let them soak in some water or about 15 mins but took a break once and a while. I am actually still working on the car over the week so overall the sand paper is sitting in the water for couple days.
                              (89 with a 45% humidity kills me ) I did notice some tracer marks but nothing to noticeable even under the sun.

The only time when I get tracer marks is when I just stopped in the middle of the panel and lifted the block.

And yeah Dave, I learned some interesting stuff at the meeting.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');