• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955 Ford Thunderbird - Infinite Detailed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Ford Thunderbird - Infinite Detailed

Mike and I were contacted by the owner of this 1955 Ford Thunderbird to see if we could improve a touch up on the passenger fender where a ladder had scraped it. The repair had a "frankensteinish" look to it.

The owner had purchased the T-bird from an auction a few months before and was still discovering some issues - one of which was that it was 2 different shades of black - you will see in the pictures.

It needed a deep paint correction with lots of damp sanding. Some defects were just too deep to remove completely.

All taped up and ready to go:

Mike and I spent a few hours testing machines, pads, and products until we finally decided on the following combinations:

Deep Defects
    • Damp sand with G110 and Meg's 3000 grit foam backed sanding disc
    • M105 via rotary on a Solo Maroon pad, 2000 RPM / 1200 RPM
    Lighter Defects
    • M95 via Flex on purple foamed wool pad
    Tight areas
    • M105 via PC on LC 4" yellow pad @ speed 6/5
    Final polishing
    • M205 via G110 on LC 5.5" green pad @ Speed 5/4
    The first order of business was to smooth out the paint chip repair in the fender:

For the first round of sanding with 1500 unigrit, we taped all around the repair so we could bring the level down to the surrounding paint without unnecessarily thinning the surrounding paint:

After taping, we wetsanded with 1500 unigrt, followed by 2500 by hand:

We finish sanding with a 3" 3000 grit meg's foam backed pad on the PC @ speed 1:

Then polished it out with M105 via PC on a LC 4" yellow pad @ speed 6:

If the touch up paint were a close match to the fender paint, you probably wouldn't be able to see it unless you knew it was there.

Notice the different shade of black on the headlight bucket?

We then proceeded to damp sand many areas with the G110 and Meg's 3000 grit foam backed sanding disc. We used speed 2:

Notice the 2 different shades of black? That's the driver's side front fender on the left and the door on the right.

After damp sanding, we followed with alot of rotary work:

Inspection in the sun showed were were on the right track. Right side has been sanded and compounded with the rotary and 105:

Now that's what we're talking about:

And the afters:

We topped this beauty with M20 then followed a few hours later with M26.

We are happy to report that this T-Bird won a 3rd place in it's class in the prestigious "Run To The Pines" car show a few weeks after this paint correction

Thanks for looking!

Re: 1955 Ford Thunderbird - Infinite Detailed

That is simply beautiful work. I can't believe they resprayed the wrong shade of black.
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Man...what a great job on the Bird! Absolutley beautiful. And don't think for a minute I didn't notice the reflection of the pine tree in the hood when you did the sun shot.

You guys do incredible work. Nice job!
      Don
      "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

Awesome job guys as always. I wonder how many times you were cursing out the guys who sprayed the pannels a different shade of black than the rest of the car
        Wills Amstutz
        Windows And Wheels Auto Detailing LLC
        www.WindowsAndWheels.com

'Like' Us On Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn T. View Post
          That is simply beautiful work. I can't believe they resprayed the wrong shade of black.
          Thanks We think the car had certain panels repainted in order to sell it - it's a weird hodge podge with no clear pattern at all.

Originally posted by gto_don View Post
          Man...what a great job on the Bird! Absolutley beautiful. And don't think for a minute I didn't notice the reflection of the pine tree in the hood when you did the sun shot.

You guys do incredible work. Nice job!
          Thanks Don It was a little warm even up here today while we were working on a F-550 - Not 105 warm, but 85 warm

We will be working on a black '66 GTO show car this weekend, I thought you'd appreciate that

Originally posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
          Awesome job guys as always. I wonder how many times you were cursing out the guys who sprayed the pannels a different shade of black than the rest of the car
          LOL, we were scratching our heads that's for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by InfiniteDetail View Post

We will be working on a black '66 GTO show car this weekend, I thought you'd appreciate that
            Can't wait to see the pictures of that. For years I always said that if I couldn't afford a '66 GTO, get me a pair of the tail lights from one and I'd be a happy camper. There's just somethig unique about those.
            Don
            "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

Great work on the T-bird. Fantastic job as always guys.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');