• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FlaresideLariat's Sunday Detail! Lots of pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlaresideLariat's Sunday Detail! Lots of pics!

Vehicle: 1993 Buick Regal Limited 3800
    Products Used: Gold Class All Wheel Cleaner, Hot Shine Tire Spray, Gold Class Carwash, All Metal Polish, Dual Action Cleaner Polish #83, NXT Wax, Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner #40, The Absorber, Comet, rubbing alcohol, ScratchX
    Time Elapsed: 5.5 hours
    Weather: 49*, cloudy, yet the sun came around once in a while
    Pad Status: used 3 white CMA polishing pads, all of which accumulated dirt quickly and turned black
    PC Speed: 5 with DACP

Before I started out, my car looked like this:

The water from the hose makes a mark on the windshield like it does after I've had the wipers on (and I did not). Why is this?

I washed it with GC, then cleaned the tires with Comet, and cleaned the wheels with GC AWC.

There was sap drops on the hood from the trees. I grabbed rubbing alcohol and a towel and went to work on the sap. It came out! But it left a mark on the hood. I wiped it with a towel, then I grabbed a polishing pad and my PC along with ScratchX. I thought it would remove the mark the alcohol left. I was going to try it out for the first time on my hood. Well, it didn't turn out so good! The pad had black spots in it, I don't know what, and the hood had paint chips in it. I don't remember them being there prior to using ScratchX but it disappointed me. Here is one chip...:

Anyway, I removed the ScratchX right away and went on to DACP. This is what my polishing pad looked like after doing the hood, all red like the color of my paint. Why was it reddish?

Then I was done with the hood:

I then used DACP on the rear fender. This is a pic:

Compare that to the other rear fender, but unpolished!:

Reflection of my legs in the passenger's side rear door, after DACP:

The trunk turned out lovely! AWESOME reflection!

And the wet look...

Now for the most amazing part. On the metal strip all around the car, right above the rocker panels, there has been this etching, if you will, of I don't know what. Here's a before pic:

And, with speed 5 on the PC with some DACP, !!!!:

I am truly amazed!!

Again, before:

And after:

All done with polishing and waxing:

I can't get enough of the metal... Before:

After:

View of the front, after all done, and I used All Metal Polish on my license plate:

Here's a look at my WHITE polishing pad:

Check out the metallic flakes! I could eat them for breakfast! lol

Reflections:

Backed into the sunlight:

Pretty nice, eh? I believe this is the nicest detail job I've ever done. There are some more pics in my gallery if you wish to view them which I highly recommend.

What do you think?
    Last edited by FlaresideLariat; Jan 30, 2005, 04:50 PM.
    FL

Great job! That's a whole lot of work!
    SRT-10 Silver

Comment

FlaresideLariat.... is this the detail that you need encouragement for?

just looking at the pics should be encouragement enough. the whole detail looks terrific!!!CONGRATULATIONS!!!

not only is the detail look nice i must mention that i think that your photography skills are well above average also.
      Last edited by cwcad; Jan 31, 2005, 08:54 AM.
      cwcad

Say what you do...Do what you say!

Comment

Originally posted by Newport Viper
        Great job! That's a whole lot of work!
        I second that!

Not only did using a multi-step process on your car require a lot of passion and dedication to the craft, but then to stop in the middle of what you were doing and document the process with before and after pictures also takes time. Then, to sit down behind your computer and upload your photos and create a thread like this is yet another step of your detail job.

I like this photo where your capture the the metallic flake in your cars paint, it pops!

Great job!

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Wow

Looking good Flareside. Great Job

Comment

that one with the fern reflection looks really good

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies Your comments make me feel good inside.

cwcad,
              Yes that's the detail I needed encouragement for! And thanks about the photography comment..

Mike Phillips,
              I appreciate the nice words

mustangless,
              I agree with you there! I think I might incorporate that into my avatar somehow.

Again, thanks for the comments. Today I went into work but they didn't need me today so I was happy for that! I immediately thought of things I could do to my car, vacuum maybe or just interior brush-up.

I detailed some of my interior with NXT Tech Protectant. I wiped down the dash, console, steering wheel, buttons, handles, etc. I could only do one door panel though because my dad had to take my car and it was getting cold out,so... I also shook out the driver's side floormat, looks a lot better but not as good as what a vacuum can do. It's all good
              FL

Comment

Update! I wanted to show you all the effect NXT Tech Protectant had on the lock of my glove compartment.

Here the top half of the lock was wiped with NXT TP:

Then I wiped the bottom half with NXT TP:

Looks good!! If you're wondering why the latch is crooked, it's because it's broken, I just stuck it on there for effect... Added some more pics in my gallery from today, of reflections. So check 'em out.
                FL

Comment

Looks nice. Great job of documenting the process. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangless
                    that one with the fern reflection looks really good

I'm with you, the reflection of the fern on the metal trim is truly a work of art!

Thanks for taking the time to upload all these great photos.

Comment

Thank you, it was no problem really. I had a lot of fun doing it. I knew right then and there that I do it because of the results it gives and the great reflections it shows in my own work.
                      FL

Comment

Hey,

Fantastic job and great pics!!! Your photos serve as an incentive for others!!! Well done!!!

Tim
                        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Great job FL! Thanks for contributing such a GREAT post to the boards!

Your work speaks for itself!

RP
                          -The Final Detail-
                          Lagrange, Kentucky
                          thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
                          CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Thanks Tim and RP! Means a lot. I think I will keep up with the polishing every so often, UNDER six months I mean. How often do you polish your cars?
                            FL

Comment

looks great
                              well done

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');