• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford Explorer Detail Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Explorer Detail Today

Today was a white Ford Explorer. I was surprised by the fact that the Explorer had little to know above surface contaminants. Anyway lets get to the pics.

Hyper-Wash
    Detailing Clay Mild
    Last Touch and water 50/50 clay lube
    #80 Speed Glaze
    #21 Synthetic Sealant

Before

After Speed Glaze (great product)

I did two passes on the hood but didn't take more pics. The marring was mostly removed. The above pic shows some improvement.

After #21

I had some interior pics but didn't load them. Seems like interiors have been popular for me lately.

The #80 and #21 combo seemed to work great. It appeared, at least in person the paint had some depth and wetness from the combo.

All in all it was a good detail as I used this opportunity to try out a new procedure for my detailing. It took a while but the results will be more consistent from car to car with this new system.

Re: Ford Explorer Detail Today

Originally posted by scrub
    Hyper-Wash
    Detailing Clay Mild
    Last Touch and water 50/50 clay lube
    #80 Speed Glaze
    #21 Synthetic Sealant

The #80 and #21 combo seemed to work great. It appeared, at least in person the paint had some depth and wetness from the combo.

All in all it was a good detail as I used this opportunity to try out a new procedure for my detailing. It took a while but the results will be more consistent from car to car with this new system.
    Looks like a great combo. Dialing in a system that works for you and delivers consistent results on a wide range of finishes is half the battle. Once you get this down, your speed and efficiency will increase with time.

Looks great scrub!
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike.

Yep I've been reading The E Myth Revisited By Michael Gerber. Now I'm trying to streamline all my processes for repeatability and predictability.

Comment

The Explorer looks great. what type of buffer did you use, or was all of this completed by hand?
        Great job
        Wash, Polish, Wax...Just Do IT!

Comment

I'm curious how many hours this detail took?

I'm doing a black expedition tomorrow (interior and exterior). I think I have a long day ahead of myself.
          -Bob
          NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Dee

Thank you! I used the G-100 Dual Action Polisher from Meguiar's. The machine's speed was set on 5 for the Speed Glaze and 4.5 for #21.

RDVT4ME

Good question. I lost a little money with this detail because it was a package deal with another vehicle. I started at 9:45 am and finished at 4:00 pm. This includes polishing exterior, full interior, and interior shampoo and extraction (carpet, seats, and cargo area). Plus I started a new system for full details yesterday with some new equipment. There will be a bit of a learning curve with my new system. I have to learn to trust my new method. I want to revert back to my old comfortable system but it's too slow of a system.

Comment

Wow, 6 hours to do all that!

I've got to find a way to speed myself up!!

What's your secret?

I did a Cadilac CTS last week. Body needed lots of work. Interior was not bad....took me 9 hours.
              -Bob

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Don't look too much into my time. I thought I lost some time and money. I was shooting for maybe 4-5 hours. The vehicle was in pretty good shape too. Although I lost time on the carpet and headliner. It appears the folks that cleaned those areas last used tons of soap and no extractor. As soon as water hit those areas suds galore. So that took extra time. I also cheated a bit... I used to own an Explorer so I knew all the little problem/hidden areas of the vehicle. That helps too.

I guess I'm not counting the 25 minute trip both ways, plus getting the supplies together and packing up (not in the 6 hours). I didn't count that in actual work time. It would be nice to get paid for washing towels, packing the truck. My next price increase will include some of those variables too.

Comment

Six hours is impressive. I am with you on the time Rdvt4me. I did my first and last Black bmw 745. Took me about ten hours and change. Paint was bad and the person allowed dog's in the car.

Comment

Well I got my rear end handed to me today. 8 hours for a Dodge Ram Quad Cab. It was the second vehicle of the folks htat own the Explorer. Man that was a big truck.

Regarding the 8 hours I based my price for full size truck at 8 hours plus I added a few bucks for chemicals. Since this was a package deal I cut my price. A little too much.

Comment

Just finished the expedition....11 hours. Wow, I'm beat!

It was black and the paint had serious scratches. It looks good but I could have put another 4-5 hours to get the paint perfect....but it sits outside, goes thru car washes, she has 2 kids and 2 dogs. She mainly wanted the interior to be cleaned up.

Black vehicles are not fun....I definetly agree with you Joe (LT1corvette).
                      -Bob

Comment

My 8 hours on the Dodge had just one polishing step. I told the owner that an extra pass would be $35. The problem was I couldn't see the holograms as the sun was not out or at the right angle that day. I tried halogen lights but no help. I'll see next week at work and followup later.
                        Last edited by scrub; Mar 27, 2005, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');