• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratch X by PC? Check out this Audi A4 (56K don't)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch X by PC? Check out this Audi A4 (56K don't)

Yesterday I went over to a friend’s house to help him detail his Black Audi A4. It was about a year ago since we last detailed his car. Because he is very careful with his car it was still in pretty good shape.

As the professional product are not available in the Netherlands is tried Scratch X with my Makita BO6040 in D/A mode a few weeks ago. The results were pretty good. As the Audi only had some very minor swirls and just a tiny bit of oxidation I decided to use the Scratch X again.

We started out with a full application of Scratch X, which gave the car a great swirl free finish. After that we had a lot of products to choose from. We decided to try the Color X that I recently bought. It’s a great product. After removing the Color X you could see that the Audi’s paint was a little darker and more reflective.

We finished with an application of NXT Tech Wax. Here are some pictures of the results…

Richard
    Last edited by Dutch; Jul 11, 2005, 08:14 AM.

Looks great... You have some awesome photos!

Never heard of anyone using ScratchX with a PC... Did you have any trouble with it?

Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Thank you for the compliments.

I always assumed that Scratch X applied by PC would gum up because of the heat generation. That was atleast until I tried it last week. It worked like a charm, not gumming up at all.

A I said the professional products like #83 and #80 are not easily available here so scratch X is a good alternative for us.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch
        I always assumed that Scratch X applied by PC would gum up because of the heat generation. That was at least until I tried it last week. It worked like a charm, not gumming up at all.

Richard
        Hi Richard,

Great photos and great work!

Just to make note here on the ScratchX by machine topic, ScratchX is not recommended for use by machine application be it can become gummy and difficult to remove, that doesn't mean it will become gummy and difficult to remove.

As a general guideline, because we don't want people to run into difficulty when working with ScratchX we don't recommend it. People can choose to apply it this way if they like, but thats a personal choice, not our recommendation. We're glad it worked for you especially since products from our Professional Line are not available. I'm sure if I were in you're shoes I would have tired the same thing. For anyone that reads this and decides to apply ScratchX by machine, if it does become difficult to remove, spray on a little Quik Detailer and this should help you to remove it.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Great looking job!!

It is a little tough getting product in Europe, so I had a go with Scratch X with a PC also. I thought it looked great. A spray of Quick Detail on the PC pad every minute or so seemed to keep the Scratch X from gumming up. It gave a really nice good deep shine and cleaned up same fairly bad scrathcing very well.

I hope it is not too rude to suggest Alex at:

for all sorts of products. Good guy, very helpful and great service.

the Prof

Comment

Not only does the car look great, you're an awesome photographer!

Comment

I walked away from the PC while the photos downloaded.........They were that good!
              r. b.

Comment

Amazing photos! And great work as well!

I may now have to try this myself. Have you ever used #83 or #80 so you could give some comparison?
                Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

BE-A-UTI-FUL!!! That is a slick detail and great pics. They look like they are from an Audi catalog (except the last one there with the Honda Euro-Accord) [Acura TSX here in the States].
                  2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L (RES/NAVI)
                  1998 BMW 318ti

Comment

Q about your buffer

Hi,

What size pads are you using on your makita BO6040? Are they the standard meguiars pads? e.g w7006etc

What size is the backing plate and does it come with velcro?

Thanks

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Just to make note here on the ScratchX by machine topic, ScratchX is not recommended for use by machine application be it can become gummy and difficult to remove, that doesn't mean it will become gummy and difficult to remove.

I have done a few small areas with the pc and Scratch-X and didn't run into any problems. I haven't yet had the opportunity to try it large scale though. From what I experienced, it seems like as long as (un)common sense was used during the proceedure, it should turn out pretty well....as demonstrated by Dutch's results
                      Don
                      12/27/2015
                      "Darth Camaro"
                      2013 Camaro ... triple black
                      323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

it defenitely looks great

Comment

Originally posted by Don
                          I have done a few small areas with the pc and Scratch-X and didn't run into any problems. I haven't yet had the opportunity to try it large scale though. From what I experienced, it seems like as long as (un)common sense was used during the proceedure, it should turn out pretty well....as demonstrated by Dutch's results
                          I just did my 1997 Chevy Pickup with #83 then #80. I had some areas that were worse than other and tried Scratch X by PC on them. In small areas is was no problem. In larger areas it became very difficult to remove. I ended up using #80 on the PC to get rid of the toughest areas. What I was left with was nothing short of amazing.

No the best light, but here it goes:

Comment

Hi Dutch

Amazing results

What pad and backing plate are you using on your Makita BO6040?

Keep up the good work....

Comment

Wow the paint looks amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');