• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

    Mine arrived today, plan on trying it out as soon as the weather allows. Clean vehicles in the garage and I dont want it to rain/snow on them while the other is in there. Stuff says it needs to be 60F to use.
    Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

    Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

      Originally posted by Jeepster04 View Post
      Mine arrived today, plan on trying it out as soon as the weather allows. Clean vehicles in the garage and I dont want it to rain/snow on them while the other is in there. Stuff says it needs to be 60F to use.
      You also ideally want it to cure for at least 12 - 24 hours after the two coats are applied prior to any water exposure. Ideally 7 days.
      Nick Winn
      Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
      Meguiar's Inc.
      Irvine, CA
      nawinn@meguiars.com
      800-854-8073 ext 3845

      CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

        Originally posted by Nick Winn View Post
        You also ideally want it to cure for at least 12 - 24 hours after the two coats are applied prior to any water exposure. Ideally 7 days.
        Hi Nick, do you know what's the risk if it's used under 60F temperatures? It's been hovering around 50-60 here in my area, so I'm wondering if I should just wait until spring. Thanks

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

          Originally posted by symmetrical View Post
          Hi Nick, do you know what's the risk if it's used under 60F temperatures? It's been hovering around 50-60 here in my area, so I'm wondering if I should just wait until spring. Thanks
          I am glad you brought this up because I want to make a big point about this, it is very important to apply Hybrid Paint Coating at or above 60F. It can potentially not set up properly & potentially significantly impact performance if applied below 60F. It is OK if during the subsequent 24 hours & beyond into the full 7 day curing if it gets cold & below 60F, but again for application, above 60F.

          Another point which should be mentioned is that if you apply Hybrid Paint Coating & then in the next week are going to wash the vehicle, salt roads, or rain, this can potentially significantly affect the performance as well, this really goes for any coating. You really want to apply at a time when you are going to have decent weather.
          Nick Winn
          Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
          Meguiar's Inc.
          Irvine, CA
          nawinn@meguiars.com
          800-854-8073 ext 3845

          CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

            Hello, I have several questions about the Hybrid Paint Coating as somebody new to coatings and ceramic products

            1. After 1 year or the product wears out, what do you need to do? Can you simply reapply again after a wash and prep (compound/polish), or do you need to do something to remove what remains of the old coat first? What if I want to switch back to traditional waxes?

            2. After applying this coating, do you recommend following up with any of your ceramic wax or detailer products? Would the bead booster be more appropriate, and if so, what is the difference between the bead booster and the ceramic wax/ detailer?

            3. You mentioned temperature of application being at least 60 degrees. I live in Northern California and the highs have been around 58, is that close enough? What if I heated the garage during application, would it need to stay heated for 24 hours or just a couple hours while spraying and wiping?

            4. As somebody new to applying a coating, can I screw this up in a way where the car is going to look bad and my wife kills me? I understand poor form may impact performance of the product, but is there a chance at ruining my new car? I am comfortable with all the prep work and getting that done well, and I understand the coating is going to lock in the "current state", my question is more about risks when applying the coating.

            Thanks for your time! Excited to try this stuff out!

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

              Originally posted by jas84 View Post
              Hello, I have several questions about the Hybrid Paint Coating as somebody new to coatings and ceramic products

              1. After 1 year or the product wears out, what do you need to do? Can you simply reapply again after a wash and prep (compound/polish), or do you need to do something to remove what remains of the old coat first? What if I want to switch back to traditional waxes?

              2. After applying this coating, do you recommend following up with any of your ceramic wax or detailer products? Would the bead booster be more appropriate, and if so, what is the difference between the bead booster and the ceramic wax/ detailer?

              3. You mentioned temperature of application being at least 60 degrees. I live in Northern California and the highs have been around 58, is that close enough? What if I heated the garage during application, would it need to stay heated for 24 hours or just a couple hours while spraying and wiping?

              4. As somebody new to applying a coating, can I screw this up in a way where the car is going to look bad and my wife kills me? I understand poor form may impact performance of the product, but is there a chance at ruining my new car? I am comfortable with all the prep work and getting that done well, and I understand the coating is going to lock in the "current state", my question is more about risks when applying the coating.

              Thanks for your time! Excited to try this stuff out!
              Check the video here and see if it answers your questions. It is a little long

              https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...t=markus+kleis
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

                Originally posted by jas84 View Post
                Hello, I have several questions about the Hybrid Paint Coating as somebody new to coatings and ceramic products

                1. After 1 year or the product wears out, what do you need to do? Can you simply reapply again after a wash and prep (compound/polish), or do you need to do something to remove what remains of the old coat first? What if I want to switch back to traditional waxes?

                2. After applying this coating, do you recommend following up with any of your ceramic wax or detailer products? Would the bead booster be more appropriate, and if so, what is the difference between the bead booster and the ceramic wax/ detailer?

                3. You mentioned temperature of application being at least 60 degrees. I live in Northern California and the highs have been around 58, is that close enough? What if I heated the garage during application, would it need to stay heated for 24 hours or just a couple hours while spraying and wiping?

                4. As somebody new to applying a coating, can I screw this up in a way where the car is going to look bad and my wife kills me? I understand poor form may impact performance of the product, but is there a chance at ruining my new car? I am comfortable with all the prep work and getting that done well, and I understand the coating is going to lock in the "current state", my question is more about risks when applying the coating.

                Thanks for your time! Excited to try this stuff out!
                I literally just finished applying this to my wife's MDX. I can safely say for 4., this is really hard to screw up in terms of high spots or anything like that.

                I mostly have experience applying CQuartz UK, while easy I still had issues time to time with high spots, not removing soon enough or removing too soon etc.

                Without a doubt, this Meguiars coating was extremely forgiving and easy to apply. In fact I was able to do 3 panels at a time, came back and it wipes off super clean. The most amazing part compared to something like CQuartz, it's super slick as you wipe, vs CQuartz which feels grabby.

                For your question #2, I believe they did mention you can maintain with Bead Booster or HCDetailer, which is probably what I'll do every couple months or so.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

                  Now I have my own question for Nick again, it's said 2 coats is recommended for best performance. I just finished doing one coat but don't have enough time to do another one yet. Is it safe to apply a second coat, say 12 hours later? 24? 7 days?

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

                    Originally posted by symmetrical View Post
                    Now I have my own question for Nick again, it's said 2 coats is recommended for best performance. I just finished doing one coat but don't have enough time to do another one yet. Is it safe to apply a second coat, say 12 hours later? 24? 7 days?
                    Hi symmetrical,

                    Great question. We actually do not recommend applying the second coat any later than 1 hour due to the fact that the coating will start setting up and be very hydrophobic. The second coat would likely not do anything because it will not stick on top of a freshly applied, beginning to cure coating.

                    What you can do is for the vehicle's first wash in a week or so, is to check for any spots with flat water behavior. If there was a missed spot, re-apply in that area.
                    Nick Winn
                    Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
                    Meguiar's Inc.
                    Irvine, CA
                    nawinn@meguiars.com
                    800-854-8073 ext 3845

                    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

                      Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                      Check the video here and see if it answers your questions. It is a little long

                      https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...t=markus+kleis
                      Thanks, I'll check it out. The "shop talk" video was pretty good too (the second video on the OP).

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

                        Thanks for the info on the MDX, that is reassuring!

                        I see you're in Santa Clara, I'm up in Marin -- what would you say the temperature was when you applied it? Was it humid (with all the rain)? Did you think the weather mattered?

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

                          Originally posted by symmetrical View Post
                          I literally just finished applying this to my wife's MDX. I can safely say for 4., this is really hard to screw up in terms of high spots or anything like that.

                          I mostly have experience applying CQuartz UK, while easy I still had issues time to time with high spots, not removing soon enough or removing too soon etc.

                          Without a doubt, this Meguiars coating was extremely forgiving and easy to apply. In fact I was able to do 3 panels at a time, came back and it wipes off super clean. The most amazing part compared to something like CQuartz, it's super slick as you wipe, vs CQuartz which feels grabby.

                          For your question #2, I believe they did mention you can maintain with Bead Booster or HCDetailer, which is probably what I'll do every couple months or so.

                          Thanks for the info on the MDX, that is reassuring!

                          I see you're in Santa Clara, I'm up in Marin -- what would you say the temperature was when you applied it? Was it humid (with all the rain)? Did you think the weather mattered?

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

                            Originally posted by jas84 View Post
                            Thanks for the info on the MDX, that is reassuring!

                            I see you're in Santa Clara, I'm up in Marin -- what would you say the temperature was when you applied it? Was it humid (with all the rain)? Did you think the weather mattered?
                            Oh yeah, I moved from Santa Clara up to Tracy. But yeah I was in the same boat as you, nervous about the temperatures being below 60F.
                            I rolled the dice on Saturday and fortunately my garage went above 60F so I decided to do the coating.

                            And yes I think there is a reason why for the application, Nick and Meguiars say to not let it go below 60F as I think it affects the flashing time.
                            I noticed as I put on the first coat it was 61F, it took just a while longer to flash compared to when it got slightly warmer at 65F. I bet the super ideal temperature is going to be around 70.

                            With that said, I still had zero issues with applying it. Just make sure to let it sit on the paint for at least 1 minute before wiping. It's so nice to not worry about high spots.
                            I recently ceramic coated a BMW M2 with CQuartz UK and screwed up on the hood and roof because I didn't anticipate the flash times properly. I had to re-polish and re-do it, which was nerve-racking.

                            With this Meguiars coating, I literally ended up doing about 2-3 panels at a time. And during the wipe off process, it came off super easy. Of course following the tip by doing a first pass with one side, and following up with a "dry" side for the second wipe.

                            So yeah, you'll probably be fine. Just take your time and be thorough, it's worth the effort.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

                              Originally posted by symmetrical View Post
                              Oh yeah, I moved from Santa Clara up to Tracy. But yeah I was in the same boat as you, nervous about the temperatures being below 60F.
                              I rolled the dice on Saturday and fortunately my garage went above 60F so I decided to do the coating.

                              And yes I think there is a reason why for the application, Nick and Meguiars say to not let it go below 60F as I think it affects the flashing time.
                              I noticed as I put on the first coat it was 61F, it took just a while longer to flash compared to when it got slightly warmer at 65F. I bet the super ideal temperature is going to be around 70.

                              With that said, I still had zero issues with applying it. Just make sure to let it sit on the paint for at least 1 minute before wiping. It's so nice to not worry about high spots.
                              I recently ceramic coated a BMW M2 with CQuartz UK and screwed up on the hood and roof because I didn't anticipate the flash times properly. I had to re-polish and re-do it, which was nerve-racking.

                              With this Meguiars coating, I literally ended up doing about 2-3 panels at a time. And during the wipe off process, it came off super easy. Of course following the tip by doing a first pass with one side, and following up with a "dry" side for the second wipe.

                              So yeah, you'll probably be fine. Just take your time and be thorough, it's worth the effort.
                              Really helpful feedback- thanks! I think I'll run a couple space heaters and bust out the laser temperature gun!

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

                                Originally posted by jas84 View Post
                                Hello, I have several questions about the Hybrid Paint Coating as somebody new to coatings and ceramic products

                                1. After 1 year or the product wears out, what do you need to do? Can you simply reapply again after a wash and prep (compound/polish), or do you need to do something to remove what remains of the old coat first? What if I want to switch back to traditional waxes?

                                2. After applying this coating, do you recommend following up with any of your ceramic wax or detailer products? Would the bead booster be more appropriate, and if so, what is the difference between the bead booster and the ceramic wax/ detailer?

                                3. You mentioned temperature of application being at least 60 degrees. I live in Northern California and the highs have been around 58, is that close enough? What if I heated the garage during application, would it need to stay heated for 24 hours or just a couple hours while spraying and wiping?

                                4. As somebody new to applying a coating, can I screw this up in a way where the car is going to look bad and my wife kills me? I understand poor form may impact performance of the product, but is there a chance at ruining my new car? I am comfortable with all the prep work and getting that done well, and I understand the coating is going to lock in the "current state", my question is more about risks when applying the coating.

                                Thanks for your time! Excited to try this stuff out!
                                Hi jas84,

                                Yes, after 1 year or so, and you want to re-apply, you can do as you mentioned, reapply after washing & prep (compound/polish). If you would like to switch back to traditional waxes & it is has only been 3 - 6 months etc. with hybrid paint coating on, you may need to use a something stronger like a compound to remove the coating.

                                Yes, our Hybrid Ceramic Product Line is great for maintenance & recommended

                                The temperature should be the minimum recommended for application (60F) for a couple of hours while spraying & wiping as you mentioned. Also, be careful with space heaters. Make sure to read the all labeling including the product precautions on Hybrid Paint Coating's packaging. Also, this product should only be used with adequate ventilation.

                                As far as messing up, not much you can do to mess up appearance.
                                Nick Winn
                                Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
                                Meguiar's Inc.
                                Irvine, CA
                                nawinn@meguiars.com
                                800-854-8073 ext 3845

                                CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X