• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel Brightener???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey,

Frozen.... I still stop by DC once in a while but generally, MOL is my home! Give the Wheel Brightener a try. I know you will like it!!!

As for wheels to avoid, I would suggest avoiding uncoated polished aluminum as well as anodized wheels. The best way to know for sure is to contact the manufacturer of the wheels. Otherwise, for uncoated aluminum, it will give off a black residue when you use a metal polish on them.

****If you are unsure what the wheel is, do not use any wheel cleaners them. Just wash and polish/seal with a good polymer like Meguiar's #20 Polymer Sealant.

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

very helpful. Thanks Tim!!!
      Jason

Comment

Meguair's #36 Wheel Cleaner is very good. I believe it is safe to use on all wheels. Being in the professional line it is probably available in bulk volumes.

IMHO, if you have clear coated wheels, you should treat them just like paint. Like Tim says, use #20 on them and the brake dust will clean off very easily with car wash soap and water. Any wheel cleaner that I know of will remove wax and polymers. And I have yet to see a wheel cleaner that will remove heavy brake dust without brush agitation. You're just as well off using car wash.

Most factory wheels, if they are painted or polished aluminum, are clearcoated.

RamAirV1
        2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
        2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Well....it's been 7 months since I first started this post and I can now comment on the Meg's Detailer Line Wheel Brightener. I've been using it on every detail at full strength and here are my findings...

1) DO NOT use it on anodized or un-coated aluminum wheels. It will flash oxidize the un-coated aluminum. It can easily be fixed with some metal polish but is time consuming...ask me how I know.

2) Make sure the rim is cool when you apply it. If it isn't...remove immediately. Same rule of thumb if you are applying the product in strong direct sunlight...remove immediately.

3) I use a pressure washer for my detailing and it seems to be the only way to completely remove all the product residue. I tried it once with a garden hose and it did not work nearly half as well. Of course....your mileage will vary.

4) My normal routine for using this product is to spray all four wheels with the Wheel Brightener at full strength then blast them with my pressure washer. I use NO agitation and the product will remove even the toughest brake dust. When I wash the car I will go back over the rim with a soapy wash mitt to make sure all the product residue is gone. Rinse again with the pressure washer and BAM...the rim looks new (inside and out).

Wheel Brightener has become an integral part of my detail routine and a product I would not be able to live without. It saves me TONS of time on each detail and produces awesome results.

Mike
          2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
          Bright Silver Metallic / Ebony Interior
          ASC# 1,575
          406 rwhp 392 rwtrq

Comment

Hmmmmmm. I never thought about using a pressure washer to clean wheels. I could see where that would be a huge time saver. I only detail my own car and I don't own a pressure washer. Cleaning with a brush is definitely time consuming. At least the TA and GTO 5- spoke wheels are easy to clean compared to other types.

I almost bought a set of TT II (Torque Thruster II wheels by American Racing) until I found out the were not clear coated. I didn't want to be polishing my wheels every other weekend!

RamAirV1
            2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

While working for a detail shop I used a pressure washer to clean rimmmms. Works great. Now a days i just wash car then wheels with different brushes then rinse dry last after detailing interior and pait or whatever I use tire shine to clean wheels and have had no problems at all. just use tire applicator to dress tires then spray dressing on rim (!!! without getting on paint !!!) then wipe off. what do you guys think about this it works for me and cleans brake dust tar everything and gives ultimate shine.
              Jason

Comment

Ive been useing wheel brightner for awhile also I agree with everything 1cleanws6 said.It will save you a ton of time.Im getting ready to order more.It is a great value being consentrate.
                2001 ws6 Trans am
                (Blackbird edition #19)
                433rwhp
                409rwt

Comment

What dilution ratio do you use for it? Also do you wear eye protection and everything, or?

Comment

Originally posted by Fr0zen
                    What dilution ratio do you use for it? Also do you wear eye protection and everything, or?
                    You can delute it 4:1 . I use it 1:1 and have no problems , it cuts right through brake dust. My only problem is with sprayer heads , even the chem heads don't last . I just tried using an old A2Z bottle to see how that holds up .
                    Success is based on the quality of the job done !

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');