• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Vehicle

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum and have a question on the first wax of a my new truck. Do I need any preping of the paint before waxing with NXT or can I just use the wax for the first time?
    2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Scab
    Flareside- Silver Met.

First off, Welcome,
    Since this will be the first wax; prep is everything, I would go the whole 9 yds, wash, clay, wash, clean the paint, polish the paint, and wax. There are many different combo's to chose from as you will learn form this board. Alot of good info to make your paint shine the very best it can. I would suggest reading the FAQ's first. (read R.B.'s post down a couple). It kinda lets you in on the basic info that everyone will be talking about. Very informative by itself. Then just READ ON. So much information. Again Welcome.
    Last edited by Mark McGuire; May 15, 2004, 11:50 AM.
    2005 Trailblazer LT Majestic Red Metallic
    AutoGeek's 6th Annual Detail Fest & Car Show
    1st Place-Best Overall Detail
    3rd Place-Best of Show
    March 26th, 2011

Comment

How do I find the RB post your talking about?.

Also are you saying wash, clay,then wash again and use a cleaner,then polish and then wax.

Just curious!

Regards,
      Frankie

Comment

you can indeed just wash and wax......
        to get the maximum shine tho there are other steps you can do.....go to the tutorials on meguiars main site and read...and/or get your free car care RX....

Comment

Re: New Vehicle

Originally posted by BigMikeSTX
          Hi,
          I'm new to this forum and have a question on the first wax of a my new truck. Do I need any preping of the paint before waxing with NXT or can I just use the wax for the first time?
          Hi BigMike...Welcome to MOL!

I would take Mark's advice about doing a full prep on you truck. A lot of new car buyers don't realize it, but a new car's finish can have a lot of contamination on it due to travel by rail & truck on it's way to the dealership....And from what I'm hearing, a lot of dealers just don't have people that are skilled enough to safely remove these contaminates as well.

I recommend that you...
          1) Wash your truck with one of Meguiars shampoos using a fuzzy wash mitt, and use the 2 bucket method as well....Do a final rinse with a gentle stream of water from the top down, as this will result in less standing water to wipe off when drying your truck.
          2) Clay the surface, as this will remove rail dust & such...You can do a second wash after this step if you want to.
          3) Clean the paint with one of Meguiar's cleaners, or you can use one of their cleaner polish products.
          4) Polish....Meguiars make some excellent pure polishes for this step.
          5) Wax.

I hope this helps........Post back if you need more advice.
          Last edited by rusty bumper; May 15, 2004, 09:47 PM.
          r. b.

Comment

Hey Frankie,
            Yes, wash, clay, wash (not necessary, I just like to do it.) clean, polish, wax.

The thread is FAQ's, in the Customer Service Hot Line forum, by Rusty Bumper, he has a link to take you there.
            2005 Trailblazer LT Majestic Red Metallic
            AutoGeek's 6th Annual Detail Fest & Car Show
            1st Place-Best Overall Detail
            3rd Place-Best of Show
            March 26th, 2011

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');