• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

orbital polisher ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• orbital polisher ?

I just purchased a 6 inch orbital polisher from Sears,would loved to buy a porter cable but this was the best I could do.I have never used one before,any advice.What is difference between an orbital and a pc?I plan to use dcpc and dcp followed by 2 coats of nxt.I tried the dcpc by hand on a small area,still had faint water marks left on my truck.How do I get rid of them?Sure am glad your back on line.

Welcome!!

I think one difference would be the PC has variable speeds. I for one would be interested to hear of your results using the sears machine. I think you'll see better results than by hand.

Apply to DACP to bonnet. Then spread product on surface. Work in until the finish has a polished shine to it (might be about 1 minute). Use a terry or MF to remove the remaining.

As for the water spots the machine might remove. If the marks have etched too deep there might not be any hope.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
    Last edited by scrub; Jun 7, 2004, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Thanks Scrub

I just finished the front 1/4 of my truck and 1 coat of nxt,looks awesome. As for the polisher,it is the first 1 I have used.For $20.00 it's a steal,would be nice to have a varible speed like the PC.but I found 3800 opm to be fine.The only thing I didn't like was the cord was to short.

Comment

Hi bchivers,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Good to here your getting good results with your orbital polisher. To be truthful, I have never used the larger ones, so it's hard to give good advice for them. Since 1988 I have relied on rotary's for most of my detailing work.

I have a large, 11" and can get one of the ones that Sears sells. In the interest of better serving the online community, it looks like it's time to do some hands-on homework.

Keep up posted with your results, I'm sure there are many others with this type of polisher that can learn from your experience.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

aboard bchivers - I have the Craftsman Polisher like yours from Sears. As stated by someone earlier, it does a better job than by hand. I haven't used mine at all this year because I am now using the Cyclo Polisher and the Makita 9227 Rotary. It sounds like you vehicle is in good shape - you should get pretty good service from your polisher. Keep us posted.

Foris
          "NOW IS THE TIME"

Comment

foris2

You really stepped up from the craftsman to some pro machines. I'm wanting to step up too. Just not yet.

Comment

scrub

I didn't have a choice really - I'm mobile detailing full time now since I was layed off from my job. However, I'm not complaining - my being layed off was a blessing. Now I enjoy what I'm doing and I have learned so much from these forums.
              "NOW IS THE TIME"

Comment

I'm down. I have some in laws that live in acworth and work at lockheed. Its a small south! Congrats on the mobile biness. Next time we're out your way we'll look you up!

Comment

Originally posted by scrub
                  I'm down. I have some in laws that live in acworth and work at lockheed. Its a small south! Congrats on the mobile biness. Next time we're out your way we'll look you up!
                  Indeed it is a small south. I have a brother that is retiring from Lockheed on the 30th of this month. I retired from the Navy in 1983 - wow 21 years ago. I've done some detailing in Acworth which is just up I75. When you're in this area give me a shout.
                  "NOW IS THE TIME"

Comment

will do what's the business name and number

Comment

Originally posted by scrub
                      will do what's the business name and number
                      V.I.P. Mobile Auto Detailing 770-652-6870
                      "NOW IS THE TIME"

Comment

Originally posted by foris2
                        scrub

I didn't have a choice really - I'm mobile detailing full time now since I was layed off from my job. However, I'm not complaining - my being layed off was a blessing. Now I enjoy what I'm doing and I have learned so much from these forums.
                        Congratulations!

When one door closes... another one opens...

Mike
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by foris2
                          V.I.P. Mobile Auto Detailing 770-652-6870
                          We'll hook up next time we're out your way!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');