• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Gold Class Liquid wax have cleaning agents in it?***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Gold Class Liquid wax have cleaning agents in it?***

just wondering because i was planning to put another "layer" on my car.....thanks guys/girls....

Re: Is the Gold Class Liquid wax have cleaning agents in it?***

Sorry for the title....DOES the gold class liquid wax have any cleaning agents in it?....

Comment

I don't know if it has a little detergent in.I apply the second coat about 12 hours after the first one it works great. As my car has dark paint (dark blue) i apply DC2 before the first coat of GC liquid wax.It's my favorite combination.

Comment

Gold Class is not a cleaner/wax.

Meguiar's teaches that waxes don't really layer, you can create a uniform coating or layer but adding more and more coats won't create a thicker and thicker layer.

In fact, we've never seen any proof that any wax will layer.

What have you been using for a wax or paint sealant before Gold Class?
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

What's the deal with "Layering?"

Quote:
          Originally posted by DevilDog
          I have been using NXT on and off all summer long. But the only thing that really scares me about it is its lack of being truly layerable do to its cleaning properties.

Right before the winter months I like to pile on many layers of a product because I cant usually detail from dec to the beginning of march. My vehicle sits outside and is a daily driver and is hardly ever even washed during these times. Maybe a spray off at the local car wash when weather permits but thats about it. I usually go with something from Zaino or KSG for this time of year because of its supposed layering ability.

Now what I have been wandering for sometime is this stuff truly laterable or is it really just hype?

Is 2 layers just as durable as 20?

Is the first 2 thin layers where the durability comes from and the others just sacraficial?

Hi Devildog,

This is usually never a fun discussion and often times will evolve into a flame war. That said, to start with, here is some information from Meguiar's new FAQ

12. Are multiple coats of wax beneficial? (Layering)

That depends on what effect you are looking for: protection or beauty.

Protection

If your looking for the maximum protection possible, then one or two thin coats of wax, maybe even up to three thin coats of wax, has the potential to create the most surface protection depending on the wax, the surface itself and whether or not sufficient time has passed in-between each application. Of course the law of diminishing returns states that you will not create exponentially greater layers of protection with each application, but Meguiar's knows that a second, and sometimes third application will insure uniform, thorough coverage over the majority of the surface, thus maximizing the protection.

Environmental conditions today demand more frequent washing and waxing in order to prevent costly damage to the outer layers of paint. Just as important as a second, and possibly a third coating of wax is to provide the maximum amount of protection in any one detailing session, (especially on the horizontal surfaces), it is also vitally important that you wax more often to maintain your finish. This is especially true if your car is a daily driver exposed to the elements and parked outdoors most of the time.

Beauty

Will more coats of a product make a finish deeper, darker, and wetter looking with each additional application?

In a word: Possibly

Generally speaking, when trying to take your car's finish to its maximum potential for clarity, gloss, shine and depth of color, there comes a point, or a plateau, that you will reach whereupon additional applications of either polish or wax will not increase the results of any of those categories. Of course, you are more apt to reach this plateau if your skill level is high and if the quality of your products is also very high.

These assumptions also assume that the surface in question is on
          • * A brand new car
            * A car with a brand new paint job
            * An older car whose finish has been well maintained and is in excellent condition
            * An older car whose finish has been professional restored to excellent condition
          If any of the above holds true, then you will most certainly hit the wall, so to speak, reaching that plateau of perfection whereby further applications will not improve the results of the previously applied coating. Your finish will have reached its maximum potential in appearance value.

After time goes by and this plateau you have previously reached begins to diminish, you can restore the paint to it's maximum potential again, quickly and easily by simply applying a new coat of the right wax or polish. This maintenance procedure will only act to restore the finish back to it's maximum potential and shouldn't be positioned, or confused with making your surface deeper, darker, shinier, etc. than it's maximum potential.

Once you hit 100% max potential, (or that plateau), it's time to stand back and admire the results, not continue to apply more and more coats.

Special Note: Ideas suggesting that repeated applications of a product will continue to increase optic clarity and gloss and protection are misleading you and your own common sense should enable you to understand that a finish, whether black, red, single-stage, clear coat, etc. has a limit to how perfect it can become. 100% of 100 is 100

Copied and pasted from Meguiar's FAQ

13. Can Meguiar's waxes be "Layered"?

Meguiar's waxes can be layered, but two things must be tended to when layering waxes. 1) You must use the right waxes ("Layerable" waxes), and 2) You must recognize that at some point, "The Law of Diminishing Returns" takes effect.

Layerable waxes

A Layerable wax, is a wax that the protective ingredients used in the formula (natural and synthetic), are such that the protective layer left behind will not only adhere to the paint, but in subsequent applications, will adhere to itself. It also means that the carrying agents, be they solvent, water or something else, cannot be strong enough or in high enough concentrations to re-liquefy the previously applied layer, thus removing it during your attempt to add another layer.

Layerable waxes are primarily pure waxes, or protectants (as synthetic formulas are referred to) that do not contain chemical cleaners, or solvents that will remove the previous layer.

There is an exception to this rule and that is that it is possible to first apply a cleaner wax, and then apply a pure wax or pure synthetic over it.

The Law of Diminishing Returns
          (Thomas Malthus "Essay on the Principle of Population" published in 1798.)

While this theory is generally used to discuss topics as they relate to the areas of economics and politics, it is a model that can also be used to explain in this case, the complex action occurring at the microscopic level on the surface of your car's finish.

The law of diminishing returns as it relates to layering,

A surface, such as an automotive paint, can only hold so much product before all you're doing is removing all subsequent coatings applied to the surface.

That is to say, after the first, second and in some cases a third application/coating, any more product applied to the surface is merely removed when you wipe the excess off after waiting for the product to cure.

At this point you've reached a plateau (or limit), as to how much wax (natural or synthetic) a surface can hold. Once you reach this plateau, all further applications of wax simply become excess that will be removed (and thus wasted), during wipe-off because it has nowhere to attach and layer.

Of course, this all depends upon your definition of the word "Layer". If your definition of the word layer follows that of Webster's Dictionary:

2 a: One thickness, course, or fold, laid or lying over or under another.

Then yes, you can layer to a certain point. For example, you can add multiple layers of layerable waxes until the limit to how much a given surface of an automotive paint can hold before each additional application is simply removed, or replaces a previously applied layer.

You cannot layer to the point of developing a measurable film-build, and this is key; without negatively affecting, or diminishing to some degree, the shine, optical clarity, gloss, reflectivity, depth of color etc. of the finish

This is especially true if the product you're applying is not clear (in and of itself) to start with. If your definition of the word "layer" follows that of definition used by some on the Internet,

Layer 1: To continually build a greater level of protection with each additional application, or layer, of a wax or protectant. (Natural or synthetic)

Layer 2: To continually increase shine, optical clarity, gloss, reflectivity, depth of color without end and/or after a plateau, or point of maximum potential has been achieved.

Then no, you cannot layer a wax, synthetic, natural, or otherwise.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

What are you working on?
            What are you trying to do?
            How are you applying these products? (type of machine?)
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              Gold Class is not a cleaner/wax.

Meguiar's teaches that waxes don't really layer, you can create a uniform coating or layer but adding more and more coats won't create a thicker and thicker layer.

In fact, we've never seen any proof that any wax will layer.

What have you been using for a wax or paint sealant before Gold Class?
              i haven't put on a sealant as of yet....i have a bottle of #20 but haven't used it yet....all i've done before waxing it was clay it down and cleaner waxed it......

Comment

Originally posted by funkdoktor View Post
                i haven't put on a sealant as of yet....i have a bottle of #20 but haven't used it yet....all i've done before waxing it was clay it down and cleaner waxed it......
                M20 is a very good wax, as are all of our waxes.

Gold Class does have some very sleight cleaning ability, kind of like NXT Tech Wax, not enough to tackle any kind of paint problems or deterioration of the surface, so the paint needs to be in excellent condition before you apply this product.

M20 is a light cleaner/wax.

Remember, besides your choice of product, the manner in which you apply it, the method in which you apply it and the material you use to apply it, can and will affect a products cleaning ability.

What are you working on?
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                  What are you working on?
                  What are you trying to do?
                  How are you applying these products? (type of machine?)
                  i have a 03 x-type jaguar....white in color...i'm just trying to take out most of the swirl marks that i have from bad maintanence....i used a pc to apply megs deep crystal cleaner wax and i was amazed it took out some of the swirling....i was only expecting it to clean the paint with no paint correction.......i also ordered a bottle of #83 and #9 (not the 2.0).....will this help me with my swirls and minor scratches?

Comment

Originally posted by funkdoktor View Post
                    i have a 03 x-type jaguar....white in color...i'm just trying to take out most of the swirl marks that i have from bad maintanence....

i also ordered a bottle of #83 and #9 (not the 2.0).....will this help me with my swirls and minor scratches?
                    Sure.

If our A12 Cleaner/Wax removed swirls then M83 for sure will as our A12 is a very, NON-aggressive cleaner/wax. As in it's on the very gentle side of cleaning ability.

If you are using a PC then be sure to read this,

Tips & Techniques for using the G100/PC Dual Action Polisher

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');