• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water spots

How do I get rid of water spots? I have a new ML-350 and at the first hand wash I got water spots after drying. UQD did not get rid of them... Neither did ICE wax...

Smooth

Re: Water spots

Something like DC1 paint cleaner should take care of it but inspect the paint to be see if you have to clay it first. If UQD isn't able to remove them that usually means they have been on the car for a little while. Well for me i have not had a problem removing fresh water spots with UQD.

Your system should look something like this
    1. Wash - GC
    2. Clay if necessary - Smooth Surface Clay Kit
    3. Clean - DC1 paint cleaner
    4. Polish - DC2 paint polish
    5. Wax - NXT 2.0
    The products listed were just some recommendations
    ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
    Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
    210-281-8151

Comment

To add, use some ScratchX on the hard to get rid of water spots (those that have etched their way on the paint). I also as above recommend claying the car, you won't believe what can etch themselves in the paint of your car.

Above recommendations are great.

Are you using by hand or do you have a PC7424/G100?
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Neither UQD or ICE wax will remove water spots because non of them are abrasives they only protect finishes so what you are doing is putting a coat of protection on top of the water etching.

Read the following links, this will help you remove completely or make it less noticeable, it all depends on your technique and how bad is the etching.
        How To Remove Water Spots

Good luck

Comment

Read the article that Francis aka yalerd posted and try to determine if you have Type I or Type II water spots.

If you have Type I you're lucky and you can easily remove them, if they are Type II water spots this will require you to remove paint in order to remove them and because clear coat paints tend to be pretty hard, at least harder than the paint that came on a 1965 Mustang, removing them can be difficult and to do it effectively you'll want to learn how to use a DA Polisher.

Clear coat paints last a long time but that doesn't meant they'll look good a long time and if you read this forum or any detailing forum for any length of time at all you'll come to learn that most people struggle with and get frustrated with removing defects out of their car's clear coat finish.

Wrote an article that explains the "Bigger Picture" here,

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');