• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing + NXT Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing + NXT Question

I was told over the phone by a Meguiars rep. that I should use ScratchX as a cleaner and polish on my entire car before applying NXT, he said that in the new generation of things, ScratchX replaces Step 1 and Step 2 from the Deep Crystal system.

My question is, can ScratchX (or any polish, for that matter)penetrate through existing wax? Or do I need to wash the car down with Dawn to strip everything off, and start from scratch with a polish, then apply new wax?

Oh, and it's good to be a member here. My garage shelf looks like an auto parts store chemical wall, with a lot of Meguiars present.

Thanks
    Jeff

Hi Nebor

Welcome to Meguiar's online

i also use scratchx on several spots where i waxed it before... so your question i hope will be answered...although i suggest you should re apply a coat of wax on that just treated spot.

but washing the car is always good to make a fresh start... i have done my whole car in the beginning with scratchx.. then applied a cleaner wax #6..after that i condtioned my paint with #7.. and at the finish at least i used the gold class wax..(and now NXT) for protection... or the #26 would be a good combo.

Comment

Take a look at this link. ScratchX how to

The link says scratchx is a cleaner. I would tend to think the sratchx would remove the wax layer for the spot it was applied since it is a cleaner.

Hope this is helpful.

Comment

Hey Jeff,

Meguiar's ScratchX will remove any wax or sealant that is present on the paint. I personally am not a believer in the whole Dawn wash, especially since any product that has a cleaner in it, should remove the wax anyway.

After the ScratchX, you may need to do an intermediate step, like using ColorX, then seal/wax.

Cheers!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I use scratch x, paint cleaner to ensure a good surface then i use #7 polish and top that with NXT. I have a black car and it comes out looking great. Well worth the work.

Comment

Hello... please dont use Dawn on your car... i really dont know what problem you have but i will only use Scratch X if i have a minimal scratch or some hard to remove contaminant...

instead of Dawn or some other not recomended product why dont you try a Meguiar's clay bar on your car?
            it will make a big difference when you polish and wax your paint
            Zitosonic Detailing Spot

Comment

Hi

I agree......Don't use Dawn. Use a clay bar, like megs quick clay. You will be amazed at the difference it make to the finish of your car. It will also make it easier to polish and wax.

101impala
              Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
              Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Re: Polishing + NXT Question

Originally posted by Nebor
                I was told over the phone by a Meguiar's rep. that I should use ScratchX as a cleaner and polish on my entire car before applying NXT, he said that in the new generation of things, ScratchX replaces Step 1 and Step 2 from the Deep Crystal system.
                I would say ScratchX could be used in place of the Deep Crystal Step-1 Cleaner and Step-2 Polish, but I don't know that it replaces it. ScratchX contains a chemical cleaner and a microscopic diminishing abrasive, it is a very unique paint cleaner in the Meguiar's automotive division of products. The DC Step-1 Paint Cleaner is a chemical cleaner only. The DC Step-2 Polish is rich in Meguiar's trade secret polishing oils and is nothing like ScratchX.

ScratchX can be used in place of doing a two step cleaning and polishing process, but you almost always achieve maximum results when you break the polishing process down and use dedicated products for dedicated procedures, i.e. paint cleaner for the cleaning process, a pure polish for the polishing process and a wax for the protection process.

My question is, can ScratchX (or any polish, for that matter)penetrate through existing wax? Or do I need to wash the car down with Dawn to strip everything off, and start from scratch with a polish, then apply new wax?
                Paint cleaners like ScratchX will easily penetrate and remove any wax on the surface. Using a paint cleaner like ScratchX, or Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is the intelligent way to remove an existing layer of wax and will result in a clean base to which to polish and wax. Save the Dawn for washing dishes.

Oh, and it's good to be a member here. My garage shelf looks like an auto parts store chemical wall, with a lot of Meguiar's present.
                It is good to be a member here, Meguiar's manufactures great products the perform well and are fun and easy to use. The Meguiar's family has and continues to support the car hobby in many ways including sponsoring thousands of car shows every year.

Thanks
                Jeff
                Thank you Jeff for giving us an opportunity to help!

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');