• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you!

Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you!

Since we introduced these 3 new swirl and scratch removers in our Consumer Line and our new M205 Ultra Finishing Polish in our Professional line, many people have asked how aggressive these new products are as compared to some of our existing products that our forum members are already familiar with to help them understand the cleaning and/or abrading ability of these new products I've listed them in order of most aggressive to least aggressive reading from left to right.

(Apologies ahead of time if you have to horizontal scroll)

Most aggressive to least aggressive -->

That would be from most to least aggressive,
    • M105 Ultra Cut Compound
    • Ultimate Compound
    • ScratchX 2.0
    • SwirlX
    • M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish
    • M205 Ultra Finishing Polish - M80 Speed Glaze (Different types of abrasives but close in cut ability)
    • ScratchX (Current Version being discontinued)

NOTE: M205 is specifically formulated and intended to be used with a rotary buffer on fresh paint after the initial cut is made using M105 Ultra Cut Compound. When M105 is used correctly, they may only be some fine swirls left in the paint and this is what M205 is designed to remove. This is our new M105/M205 Tag Team primarily targeted at body shops where technicians are sanding and buffing fresh paint. Of course we know the detailing industry as well as the enthusiast segment of the car hobby will also use these products so we just want to set the record straight as to what these two products are intended to do and who they are primarily target towards.

After seeing these products in this order some of you will want to know how some of these products can be more aggressive than our M83 DACP and yet still finish out like a fine finishing polish and the answer lies with our new super micro abrasive technology.

Please remember that this is a relative comparison assuming all other factors are the same, for example if all products were applied with the same machine, same speed setting, same downward pressure, same buffing cycle, (length of time product is buffed), same paint panel, same temperature, etc.

Product aggressiveness is just one factor that will affect how aggressive your defect removal process will be as all the above listed factors can and will change the aggressiveness of any product and thus your results.

The next question someone is going to ask is where our other Pro products like M95, M86, M85, M84, M01, M02, M04, M80, M82, M09, M66, D151 will fit into the order of aggressiveness and we're not going post a scale like that because it's just too much like comparing apples to oranges.

While some of you reading this understand Meguiar's has been primarily a supplier to the body shop industry since 1901 and we didn't start making car wax and car wash type product for "enthusiasts/car owners" until starting in 1973, many people that discover our forum don't know this and have know knowledge of the different needs a body shop will have for a product to work on paint sprayed within a day or two versus what Joe Consumer wants and needs to work on his factory baked-on paint in his garage.

The above scale should be more than enough to help you understand the abilities of these products but at the end of the day the best thing to do is to wait till these products become available and then start using them yourself and dial in your own product recipe for the car's you're working on and maintaining.

Thanks for understanding...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you!

But... How... Oh boy!

Thanks Mike!

Edit: I think it was reading it wrong. There are two separate rows? Or are you saying the three new consumer products are more aggressive than #83?

Sorry but I've been reading the building code for the last few hours straight and am just confused in general today. lol
    Last edited by BlueZero; Nov 5, 2008, 02:36 PM.
    Scott

Comment

Hang on... let me post smaller pictures....

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I am surprised that SwirlX is more agressive the #83.... wouldnt have guessed that.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          I am surprised that SwirlX is more aggressive the #83.... wouldn't have guessed that.
          Thus the reason the word surprised was chosen for the title

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            Thus the reason the word surprised was chosen for the title

That's what I was thinking. If it was the other way I wouldn't have been surprised. So I figured it must be the way that surprises me. Thanks for the clarification Mike!
            Scott

Comment

This is a surprise - I would have never guess either. Very interesting! I had to read the post a couple times to make sure I was reading it properly.
              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Hi:

Thanks for the information Mike, a big help as usual.

Going to be a lot of work teaching us old dogs new tricks.

Regards,

KTruck
                Make it Shine

Comment

Thanks for the informational post Mike. I really like it when Meguiars products show a before and after on the label.
                  Joel
                  Firefighter/EMT-B
                  Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                  "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                  '99 F-150

Comment

Wow! Very surprised and most appreciative for the information, Mike.
                    The Consumer Line looks like it getting some real correcting power with the Ultimate Compound. This may turn out to be a real go to on my shelf...er, bucket.
                    Thanks to Megs for moving your super micro abrasive technology upstream as soon as feasible.
                    Rob A.
                    '09 Kia Optima (Bronze Metallic)
                    '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

WHAT! That is a surprise indeed.
                      Mike nice point when you say that this is a relative comparison assuming that we test all these products under the same condition

Man Meguiar's has made history once again introducing GREAT products, can't wait to get my hand on them.

Comment

That would be from most to least aggressive,
                        • Ultimate Compound
                        • ScratchX
                        • SwirlX
                        • M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish
                        • M205 Ultra Finishing Polish

Now that is an interesting lineup — time to reevaluate the process

Comment

Suprising indeed. Thanks for the explaination Mike.

The next question someone is going to ask is where our other Pro products like M95, M86, M85, M84, M01, M02, M04, M80, M82, M09, M66, D151 will fit into the order of aggressiveness and we're not going post a scale like that because it's just too much like comparing apples to oranges.
                          Think you meant M85 and M84, right?

Mark Kleis was here....
                          Last edited by Markus Kleis; Nov 5, 2008, 09:08 PM. Reason: Typo police!
                          Learning new things everyday

Comment

Originally posted by TimG View Post
                            Suprising indeed. Thanks for the explaination Mike.

Think you meant M85 and M84, right?

Mark Kleis was here....
                            Looks like he got it right to me! (Just messin' with ya Tim, I fixed the typo for him)

Comment

Wow, I am more than surprised. This means that the SwirlX-UC combo is more powerful than the M80-M83 combo. This would suggest that if one adopts the super-micro abrasive technology, then SwirlX will become the go-to product, just as M80 as been everyone's go-to product over the past several years. Very interesting indeed.

And here I have a new bottles of M80 and M83 sitting in my cupboard, waiting until spring. If I adopt the new consumer line, will I ever use them?

This doesn't really effect all you guys who are already proficient at using the MG products and really do not need SX or UC, but for us newbs, this is significant. We have to rethink everything!

Cheers,
                              Al

Last edited by akimel; Nov 6, 2008, 06:25 AM.
                              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                              --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');