• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

meguiars quik detailer.. used on dirty car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meguiars quik detailer.. used on dirty car?

when I say dirty, I mean 2 or 3 days after washing the car.... some dust and small dirt particles starts building up on the paint, nothing like mud or large dirt. something you can see when you run your fingers through the paint.

would it be safe to use a quik detailer on this to clean the paint off without inducing swirls or small scratches??

Re: meguiars quik detailer.. used on dirty car?

It's impossible to give a blanket statement answer because A.) 2-3 days in one region can create a whole different situation in 2-3 days in another, and B.) Some paints are more susceptible to scratching or marring than others.

Now, that said, generally speaking light dust and MINOR/MILD contamination (pollen for example) can be safely removed with a nice, soft towel like a Supreme Shine microfiber. The key is to use your best judgment for one, and two to be very, very gentle. Do not apply pressure, or scrub. Mist the product on with an ample amount, and then as gently as possible wipe away.

You may want to try a test spot and check your results in proper lighting before doing the entire car.

Now, that all said, I myself use Last Touch at full strength to remove 2-3 days worth of dust from time to time. If it gets beyond 3 days, I just play it safe and do a wash.

Comment

If it's very light dust, dust it off with a California Car Duster before you take a quick detailer to it, that way you'll reduce the risk of grinding that dust into your paint.
      Shane
      1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
        It's impossible to give a blanket statement answer because A.) 2-3 days in one region can create a whole different situation in 2-3 days in another, and B.) Some paints are more susceptible to scratching or marring than others.

Now, that said, generally speaking light dust and MINOR/MILD contamination (pollen for example) can be safely removed with a nice, soft towel like a Supreme Shine microfiber. The key is to use your best judgment for one, and two to be very, very gentle. Do not apply pressure, or scrub. Mist the product on with an ample amount, and then as gently as possible wipe away.

You may want to try a test spot and check your results in proper lighting before doing the entire car.

Now, that all said, I myself use Last Touch at full strength to remove 2-3 days worth of dust from time to time. If it gets beyond 3 days, I just play it safe and do a wash.
        Mark, how many 2-3 day LTD touch ups would you do in a row before a full wash becomes necessary? If someone was diligent and applied Last Touch every 3 days, the car would look clean and and feel smooth, but at what point do you have diminishing returns (swirls) if you keep cleaning the car with LTD?

Comment

when in doubt just wash, i would rather have a dirty car than a swirled up car. I like to play it safe and will only quick detail 2 days after washing or a couple of drives. In the end you just have to make the best decision possible.
          Nick
          Tucker's Detailing Services
          815-954-0773
          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Joel
            Firefighter/EMT-B
            Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
            "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
            '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
              Mark, how many 2-3 day LTD touch ups would you do in a row before a full wash becomes necessary? If someone was diligent and applied Last Touch every 3 days, the car would look clean and and feel smooth, but at what point do you have diminishing returns (swirls) if you keep cleaning the car with LTD?
              I tend to push off actually washing the vehicle anywhere from 1.5 to 2 weeks. I am very strict about the fact that if I miss getting to the Last Touch wipedown before it gets too dirty, I will not try and do it anyway. I just wait for the time to do a full wash.

I personally have not noticed ANY swirls at all on my car...literally zero, since I detailed my car with a 1 step of M205 about 2 months ago. I have washed it conventionally I think 4/5 times, and also done countless wipe downs. I think it goes to show that proper technique and a little common sense will let you keep your finish looking fantastic for quite some time between polishing sessions.

On a side note, I filmed some videos of my wash tonight, but I need to edit them and get them uploaded. I will post an update to my existing UQW thread with those in a day or two.

Comment

Sweet!!
                I Can't Wait!!
                Joel
                Firefighter/EMT-B
                Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                '99 F-150

Comment

In the Florida dry season. (the winter months) I can use Last touch, or #135 and generally speaking can go a month between washing the vehicles. Sometimes even longer. Like Mark stated it all depends on your environment.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

My one car hasn't been washed in 1 year. My new car has never been washed after day I bought it. I only get mainly dust, so I just use quick detailers.

Comment

When I have a questionable layer of dust and I don't want to get out the bucket, hoses etc. I use QEW (Quick and Easy Wash). Not a Meguiar's product, but a darn good one if you are careful (and most of us on this forum are very careful). It's a heck of a lot quicker than a complete wash and actually leaves a small bit of wax on the surface of the paint.

I'm a bit fearful of using a QD for dust. I have to drive four miles on a gravel road to get to the highway. I "know" dust.

Tom

Comment

Mist and wipe products, (Quik Detailer is a mist and wipe product), are for removing,

Light dust
                        Fingerprints
                        Smudges

If your car is parked outside, often times overnight moister in the way of dew forms on the surface and turns light dust into a film.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I just tried cleaning a section of my car with quick detailer, and it worked. I did go over my car with a california duster before I wiped it down with quick detailer, but I got good results. I think as long as you use a nice micro fiber towel you won't get scratches. the small section I cleaned was nice and shiny, the rest of the car is very coarse to the touch. Of course don't do this when there is mud on your car. My vehicle has never been washed conventionally, i have only done "spray on car wash" type detailing and it's worked great as long as the paint has been properly waxed and wiped down with duster.

Comment

Im wondering in regards to the duster or the california duster you are mentioning....wont using that on the car introduce scratches in the first place?
                            Like swiping the duster over your car seems to move the dust along the paint..would that not create some sort of micro scratches? hrm...
                            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by GenTarkin View Post
                              Im wondering in regards to the duster or the california duster you are mentioning....wont using that on the car introduce scratches in the first place?
                              Like swiping the duster over your car seems to move the dust along the paint..would that not create some sort of micro scratches? hrm...
                              Thanks
                              No.
                              You don't rub the duster into your paint like a rag
                              It glides over you paint
                              Wax is between your paint and the duster, no scratches are created
                              Here's my post on the duster:
                              California Duster-works in other states too...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');