• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very deep scratch - What to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very deep scratch - What to do

Hi,

There are 2 deep scratches on my paint. I wonder if something can be done about it, in order to avoid the problem to become bigger.

Its 2 little holes. Wax or clay bar do nothing for it, as its a deep scratch and not dirt.

See pictures:

Anything I could put on it? To avoid getting bigger or even avoid contaminants to get under this hole in the coat?

Re: Very deep scratch - What to do

I can't see scratches in your photos. Are you referring to the chips?
    With chips, you're probably going to have to use touch-up paint. With scratches, use the fingernail test: If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, it's too deep to compound out. If you can't feel it, you can usually get them out with compound.

Comment

Yes chips. You mean touch-up paint, the one that need to be made in the repair shop?

Comment

Drcolorchip.com
        Works great for chips.
        Easy to use and great results

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Don't know how it is in Brazil but here in the US, touch up paints are sold at the car dealers
          2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

Touching up chips is an easy do-it-yourself job.

Here in the US, touch-up paint is available through auto dealers (expensive) or auto stores (Autozone, Advance Auto, etc.). You can also order it online (like Dr Color Chip, above). If there's a auto paint/body shop supply shop near you, they might be able to mix you up a small jar - just give them your paint code.

Once you have the paint, clean the chip area with isopropyl alcohol. Then, using a toothpick, dab a tiny amount of paint in the chip. Let dry several hours. Then dab on a tiny amount more and let dry. Keep repeating the process, building up small layers inside the chip, until it is level with the surrounding paint.

Most people will be satisfied with those results. Perfectionists will want to then wet sand the filled chip down until it is absolutely smooth with the surrounding area. Then compound until it looks "like new."

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');