• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ColorX on '89 Buick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ColorX on '89 Buick

This car is in really bad shape. My mom bought the car new back in '89 and She MIGHT have it waxed one time per year since she bought it.
    First I washed the filthy thing with car wash soap.
    Then I went over the whole car with clay and QD. This made a big difference since the car was rough to the touch.
    Next I put on a coat of ColorX.

Let me say that this car is in real trouble as far as the paint goes. I didn't have anything to work on the MAJOR scratches and swirl marks...still waiting on that PC deal. Anyway my stuff was in Vegas and I just flew to Texas for the holiday weekend. I did the best I can...but it did make a big difference. At least the car is smooth to the touch. It rained on us the next day and the water beaded for the first time in YEARS. The car really needs to be repainted, it has orange peel also. My mom doesn't want to spend the money for a good paint job...besides she was tickled pink and amazed that the car looked that good. Here are the pictures...

As you can see...BAD shape! This problem is really all over the car.

This is the hood before wax...after claying

This is after waxing...a pretty good difference considering I just used colorx on the surface. I would love to try some NXT and some more aggresive scratch remover.

This is the door before wax...not as sharp reflections

Better reflections after waxing

Scratches on door before wax

sorry...for the difference is lighting...but I think you can see that the colorx actually helped remove or fill in most of the scratches that were light.

HA HA she forgot that the car was matallic...the colorx really brought out the true finish.

Last shot...not a bad reflection

The colorx was real easy to use...you can actually feel the cleaner working on the finish. It lightly scrubs the surface of the paint. The wax is real "wet" like it is putting moisture into the finish. You can work it in for a while before it dries. I scrubbed pretty hard on the car. My arms and shoulders let me know how hard the next morning. I hope this helps the people that are wanting to see if colorx can actually help the paint on a old car. I am amazed with this product. I found it at Target. They also had NXT (all products). I also found a big selection of products at O'Rileys.

Great writeup rdarwa ...I thought you did a good job with what you had.

I enjoy restoring older paint jobs...The customers face really lights up after I'm finished with their cars.
    r. b.

Comment

Thanks RB,

I probably will tackle the job again when I get a PC. What is the most aggresive scratch remover I can use? I know NOTHING will get these scratches out...but even if I make them less noticeable it would be worth the work.

Ronnette

Comment

I'm very impressed for what you had to work with!
        please take pics when you use the pc. it will be great to look at them compared to these.

p.s. don't tell my mom you did your moms car.
        2019 GMC Sierra
        1500 AT4

Comment

I have three cars and she has been suggesting that I do hers for a long time. I thought I might as well tackle it. I will take pics when I go over it with the PC. I am sure it will look better than it does now. My dad wants me to do his truck... This thing is REALLY bad!!!!! They only drive it about every two weeks to the feed store about 4 miles away. This thing looks real bad. It hasn't shined since about 1990...he he it is a 1984 Chevy 1/2 ton. I told him the only thing that could make his truck shine is buying a new one.

Thanks for the comments 2000. The car does look better than it did. Hey...any improvement is a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by rdarwa

Thanks for the comments 2000. The car does look better than it did. Hey...any improvement is a plus.
            don't sell yourself short, I think it was better than just a improvement. also tell your dad chevy trucks look cool even if they don't shine.
            2019 GMC Sierra
            1500 AT4

Comment

His truck is a farm truck...trust me nothing cool about it. Ok...the cool thing about it is it has 62,000 orginal miles on an '84. The tires dry rot before they have a chance to put some miles on them.

The Buick has 112,000 for an '89.

As you can see...they don't drive them very much.

Comment

Thanks RB,

I probably will tackle the job again when I get a PC. What is the most aggresive scratch remover I can use? I know NOTHING will get these scratches out...but even if I make them less noticeable it would be worth the work.

Ronnette
                Hi Ronnette,

I far as I know of, the most aggressive products you could use by hand are:

1) #83 DACP
                2) MPPC

#83 is fast becoming my cleaner of choice...If you decide to order some, be sure to order the ketchup bottles M-9912...DACP is a little thick, and you can trim the top of the ketchup bottle to suit you needs.

MPPC (Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner) is no slouch either.

The great thing about these products is that they work even better with a PC.
                r. b.

Comment

RB,

Is #83 the most aggressive even if you are using a PC?

Comment

I'll guess rb would say its the most aggressive to try with a pc andanything more aggressive would probably require a rotery, but thats really just my opion so I should let rb speak for himself.
                    2019 GMC Sierra
                    1500 AT4

Comment

I don't want to get into that. This is a real old car...the best thing for it would be repainting. I just want to use the most aggressive with the PC. After all my mom doesn't want to spend any $ on it. I am just trying my skills with Meg's products to see what they can do to a car that doesn't look that great. It shines...It beads when it rains. It makes my mom feel a little better about her car.

Comment

RB,

Is #83 the most aggressive even if you are using a PC?
                        As far as I know of, #83 is the most aggressive cleaner that is recommended for use with a PC, and Medallion PP Cleaner is not too far behind it.
                        r. b.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');