• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NXT wax users, do you prep everytime you wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, claying is never 'needed', the way a cleaner is needed before waxing. What is going to determine if you should/want to clay is the feel of the paint. And for the most part, your horizontal surfaces will feel rough and need clayed before the sides, since pollutants tend to fall down, not sideways.

If you have already clayed the car, then that is a good start. There is no need to clay every wash, or every small detail, if your paint feels fine, or darn close to it. Mine feels a bit rough after a couple months from where I have to park at work, (trees, exhaust stacks, etc), so I may need to clay more than you. Some people just clay the roof, hood, and trunk reguarly, then do the whole car once or twice a year. Some others just clay everything twice a year. I just do the whole thing when it needs it.

As far as not claying being detrimental, not really. Unless you are really parking right beside train tracks, you arent going to get large amounts of anything too bad on the paint. Cleaning out the pores and nourishing the paint (cleaning and polishing steps, or cleaner/wax) is really more important for the health of the paint than removing something just sitting on it(claying). Claying just helps remove the chance of stuff sitting on the paint causing swirls as you work in the cleaners, etc and gives a better shine.

You'll notice that guys like 2hotford, and Joe from superior shine never saved a paint job with clay alone. So it isnt the most important product in the aresenal. And a lot of the professional guys dont clay in a detailing service, and the results they get are incredible, so it isnt totaly essential.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');