• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought new computer, What else do I need for DSL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought new computer, What else do I need for DSL?

Went and bought the Compaq. Pretty good deal through my employer. Will be here the 21st. Just in time for the snowstorm coming in. Decided on DSL, ATT Yahoo has a promo going. What equipment ,if any, do I need. Have dial up now, they offer high speed dial up but no DSL. Thanks.

Kelly
    MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Find a good Internet Service Provider (ISP) and decide on a speed. I would go into Cable vs DSL vs Fiber, but DSL is a good starting point. After you choose a speed, then you'll pay a one time activation/ setup fee. Then your monthly subscription. They should send you step-by step instructions and a DSL box if they dont come out and set it up.

Make sure you computer has an Ethernet connection, its larger than a phone jack, and can process more data.

(PS, Fiber Optic Internet RULES!)

Comment

You don't really need anything on your end to get started with DSL other than a phone jack in the room with your computer - preferrably close to the computer so you don't have a long run of wire across your room.

Your service provider should provide the modem, which should have both Ethernet and USB connections. Ethernet is faster so if your computer doesn't have an ethernet connection, just hook it up using USB until you buy an ethernet card.

WOOT on the new comp!
      Black 2004 Ford F150 FX4

Comment

Thanks. researching ISP now. Guess I do not have to decide until after new computer is here.

Kelly

Comment

There are some good bundled packages out there now, locally here, there is Qwest. Your local company might do something like DSL + Local Phone + Long Distance = better price since its "bundled". You can usually customize what you want TV, long distance, local phone, cell phone, Internet and so on. Might check around you can usually find some good packages and save you a little $$$.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Pardon my highjack, but if you hook up via the Ethernet connection, will you have to install special software from your ISP before it will work? My friend & I assembled my custom built pc back in '04, and then went online with his cable broadband connection via the Ethernet port......But I don't remember him installing any special software from his ISP to do it.

I'm still using dialup at myself, but I can't go online without installing my ISP's software first.

Anyway, congratulations on your new pc Kelly! Can you post all of the specs for it?
            r. b.

Comment

All you need is an Ethernet card (you could use USB in a pinch - but I'd prefer ethernet over USB).

You do not need special software, if you have a modern operating system (preferably Windows 2000 or newer) everything you need to hook up is built in.

After connecting for the very first time, some very important software you should have are, all the latest operating system patches, virus software, firewall, and spyware removal.

For most people out there, once their systems start working, they they don't worry about anything else. But little do they realize the dangers of the internet, and what an exposed system is risking both them and the rest of the Internet.

The OP mentioned the Compaq, so I will assume it's going to be Window. Everything I'm suggesting is free. I don't work for any of them, but that's the first place I go to after setting up a new system. They're free, reliable, and have good reputations:

Look at these sites:

For patches:

For virus:
              Download free antivirus and malware protection. Tune up your PC, Mac, & Android. Encrypt your connection and browse anonymously with a VPN.

(search for their free software)

For firewall:
              Find cutting-edge security solutions for your devices, including next-gen antivirus, firewall, anti-ransomware, anti-phishing, safe browsing, & more.

For antispyware:
              Spybot offers a unique technology for your security. Far beyond antivirus Spybot searches and destroys unwanted software and protects your privacy.

Comment

Most of the DSL providers give you an install disk and tell you that you must use it. I know SBC's offering can be installed without running their CD. You just need to call their tech support line. One thing though, DSL is not available everywhere. Check with your ISP to see if you live in an area where it is available. There is a distance limitation to the central office and you can't be on pair-gain devices, etc. The local telco will be able to tell you. DSL is very stable but not as fast as cable modems. They are very attractively priced these days starting in the $12-15/mo. range.
                Jim
                My Gallery

Comment

Have not decided which way yet on ISP.Have dial up now. Here are the specs:
                  AMD 3400 Sempron
                  512 DDRAM-expandable
                  160 MB hard drive
                  Double layer Light scribe
                  17" CDT monitor
                  Media reader
                  Windows XP
                  No printer. probably will get a cheap one.
                  Seems cheaper to print photos at a Walmart or similar place.
                  Nothing fancy but will get the job done.

Kelly

Comment

Yeah cable or dsl will be fine with you.
                    I had been using DSL for 7 years already and I wont turn back to sort called 56k dial up.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid123
                      After connecting for the very first time, some very important software you should have are, all the latest operating system patches, virus software, firewall, and spyware removal.

For most people out there, once their systems start working, they they don't worry about anything else. But little do they realize the dangers of the internet, and what an exposed system is risking both them and the rest of the Internet.
                      Sound advice.

I like the AVG software too....It's fast and you can get updates daily.

Thanks for the Ethernet info.
                      r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by kellyinkc
                        No printer. probably will get a cheap one.
                        A word of advice about printers. They all do a good job for the most part, but the biggest difference/expense comes from buying replacement ink cartridges.

This is strictly my opinion, but I would buy a printer that accepts individual ink tanks instead of the type that holds all three colors in the same cartridge. Ink colors don't all run out at the same time, and if the blue (for example) runs out first then you have to replace the cartridge, even though the other 2 colors may have plenty of ink left (Black always has it's own tank regardless of brand).

I'm not sure about HP or Lexmark printers, but I know that Canon and Epsom have printers that come with seperate ink tanks. I have a Canon i560 printer that allows me to change all 4 colors separately and this is a big money saver in the long run.

The warehouse stores usually carry ink cartridges in bulk for added savings too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nice specs on your computer Kelly. I know that you will enjoy it very much.
                        r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                          A word of advice about printers. They all do a good job for the most part, but the biggest difference/expense comes from buying replacement ink cartridges.

This is strictly my opinion, but I would buy a printer that accepts individual ink tanks instead of the type that holds all three colors in the same cartridge. Ink colors don't all run out at the same time, and if the blue (for example) runs out first then you have to replace the cartridge, even though the other 2 colors may have plenty of ink left (Black always has it's own tank regardless of brand).

I'm not sure about HP or Lexmark printers, but I know that Canon and Epsom have printers that come with seperate ink tanks. I have a Canon i560 printer that allows me to change all 4 colors separately and this is a big money saver in the long run.

The warehouse stores usually carry ink cartridges in bulk for added savings too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nice specs on your computer Kelly. I know that you will enjoy it very much.
                          I might also add this about printers.

Price out the replacement ink cartridges before you buy the printer. Some manufacturers charge an arm and a leg for replacements. Be aware that unlike Epson and Canon, HP gives you a new print head every time you replace the ink cartridge. This means much less clogging and costly head replacement down the road.

If you like to use image editing tools like Photoshop, you will probably like printing your own photo prints. If color correction, editing and cropping are not important then there are a lot of commercial places to have prints made.
                          Jim
                          My Gallery

Comment

The USB ports on routers are just there to config the equipment and aren't used for actually connecting your computer to the Internet through the router. (However, they do make wired and wireless NICs that plug into USB ports, which allows you to connect to the router/modem, but you can't connect directly from the USB port to the modem.) If you are purchasing the computer new, then it will most likely come with a NIC which is what you will plug the 10BaseT Cat5 cable into and the other end of the Cat5 into the modem provided by your ISP. Then your modem will be plugged in via the provided cable into either a phone jack or cable jack depending on if you subscribed to cable or DSL. One thing people don't understand about cable is it is the same as being on a huge LAN. So even though the speeds advertised are higher typically that DSL, at 5pm when your neighbors are also online with their cable modems, you all share the speed, which drops the speed each individual is able to utilize. With DSL, the speeds are fairly consistent, because you aren't essentially sharing the line.

To sum it up for you, as long as you have a NIC (Network Interface Card) installed in the computer, the ISP will provide the rest of what is required, including easy self-install directions.
                            ----------------
                            My ride: 1971 Chevelle Malibu
                            Wife's ride: 2001 Buick Century

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab
                              I might also add this about printers.

Some manufacturers charge an arm and a leg for replacements. Be aware that unlike Epson and Canon, HP gives you a new print head every time you replace the ink cartridge. This means much less clogging and costly head replacement down the road.
                              Yes, that's something to consider. A freecycler gave me an HP 3 in one printer/scanner/copier combo. The ink cartridges are very expensive due to the print head attachment, but I hope to find to find some used ones and refill them myself.

My Canon printer head has worked well for 2 years now, but I give it a cleaning every few months. Not sure what a replacement head costs though.

If you're not one to print much then an 3 color print cartridge might be the way to go. Course you could go the home refill route and save money that way too.

I wouldn't recommend refilling separate individual color tanks though. A clogged print head wouldn't make it worth it.
                              r. b.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');