• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else have dogs that bark all night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else have dogs that bark all night?

The last few nights we have had a dog that barks non stop for hours. They are new neighbors. The dogs are in a cage in a fenced yard. They look like pit bulls. This morning at 0300 I walked by the house to confirm that it was the right one. Dog was barking long before I turned the corner, got worse when I shined the Maglite at him. Owner never came out. How they could ignore the barking is beyond me. Got address and called animal control later that morning. Did I do the correct thing?
    MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Can your animal control actually do anything for you? I hope yours can because ours can't or will not. Our control says it is private property and they cannot go onto private property unless there has been a crime committed and they do not consider barking a crime. I welcomed them to stay overnight in my guest room and tell me if the barking they, along with my family, endured all night long constituted a crime or not. They declined. I've had the barking issue from a neighbor's dog so i feel your pain. I wish you the best of luck. The dog I've had to deal with for the last year was finally given away 2 weeks ago because it got out and attacked another dog in our neighborhood.

Comment

When I called they said they would put a sticker on the door that a complaint was called in. In 10 days if dog continues I have to fill out a form and go to court. Now I do have these Tylenol 3 (codeine) that I could put in a hot dog and feed him
      A little barking is OK but for hours on end is crazy

Comment

Pardon me while I rant.

On my street, there is a dog with the most annoying loud bark. Every so often, when the weather is nice, I will take a walk down my street at night (it's usually too hot during the day). This dog will bark it's fool head off. Then, to make it worse, the owner will come out there. BUT they aren't coming out there to shut the dog out, they are letting ANOTHER dog OUT and then they stand there on their porch until I am out of site. The first few times I waved, being polite, to show them I'm not doing anything, just walking down the road. One time I shone a light I was carrying at the dog and the guy yelled at me "don't shine your light at my dog!". Of course, me being my normal polite self, I said "get your stupid dog to shut up and I won't shine a light at it!". Of course this conversation was shouting over the dog's nonstop barking. The guy threatened to call the police on me. I can't say that threat scared me, because I wasn't doing anything illegal, but it sure made me angry lol. Plus the stupid dog barks at night too and I'm close enough I can hear it.

Ok, I guess I'm finished ranting. All that to say, I know what you mean, Kellyinkc. Your aproach is probably a whole lot better than mine though. I might have to try that, although I kind of doubt our animal control will do anything about it. I guess it's not so bad for me as for you though, because the dog doesn't keep me awake.
        Lydia's Mobile Detailing
        Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
        2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Re: Anybody else have dogs that bark all night?

Originally posted by kellyinkc
          The last few nights we have had a dog that barks non stop for hours. They are new neighbors. The dogs are in a cage in a fenced yard. They look like pit bulls. This morning at 0300 I walked by the house to confirm that it was the right one. Dog was barking long before I turned the corner, got worse when I shined the Maglite at him. Owner never came out. How they could ignore the barking is beyond me. Got address and called animal control later that morning. Did I do the correct thing?
          Hey Kelly: I've got folks up the street that have 3 fenced dogs which will bark like crazy every time I walk my 2 mutts. I took a tip from the dog whisperer and got my dogs next to the fence until his dogs quit barking....did that for 3 days. Now they don't bark at mine (but still at other people walking). You probably did the right thing. You might consider talking directly to the neighbors and ask them what could be done.

Totoland Mach (right near ya)
          Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

i agree u did the right thing..ppl have to sleep and little things like degrade the quality of life for everyone....if their is a noise ordinance or something like that they can actually get fined for noise pollution..in my old community we werent allowed to mow lawns or use heavy equipment prior to 8am on weekends

Comment

Another thing to do it check with your township or city and see if they have a noise ordinance. You may beable to pull if off as a noise ordinance. Check with the and if that is the case, call the police when they bark. They police will pay them a visit. Animal controll does not usually do anything. Must be a nice job to have!

Comment

I have a dog that barks during the day. He doesn't bark constantly but for a reason. Like another dog getting close to the fence. It's a territory thing. It's dogs being dogs.

That said...the dog comes in at night so he doesn't wake the neighbors. Do I feel guilty? No. Not when I have to listen to their ranchero music for hours and hours of the day and night.

In my city Animal control will not do anything about barking dogs because they know dog behavior.

However, you can file a complaint with Noise Abatement. I have when the ranchero music has gone beyond 10 pm at night or earlier than 8 am in the morning or I can hear it farther away than 500 feet. Those are the limits of the law and when they are broken and I am sleep deprived....I write them up.

I've always asked my neighbors about my dogs, past and present. They've all said they don't mind. One loved dogs and couldn't have one so he enjoyed my dogs barking or silent. Another said the barking made her feel safe because she knew when someone was walking around the apartment building at night. (I have an apartment building next door to me.) Another has a dog and knows dog behavior.

I have issues with superfluous dog barking. Because there isn't any. If they're barking for the wrong reason, or because of issues that are not being resolved by the owner then there is a problem.

I can't stop my dog from barking when the opposum is sitting on the fence. It's what dogs do.
                It's not just chocolate, it's a lifestyle.

Comment

Re: Anybody else have dogs that bark all night?

Originally posted by kellyinkc
                  I heard surefire flashlights can blind sight a dog at night and cause it to settle down , due to the fact it's confused and can't see and was blinded by a light. Look into them they're really nice flashlights and way better than maglights but are also pricy. But anyway, I have a little cavalier king charles spaniel and she's a little barker at night, but it's not constant, maybe twice a night she'll go outside to do her buisness, and bark for 2 minutes. She listens very well though, except when you tell her to be quiet and she won't cuz she sees a pack of coyotes starring at her and you have to chase them off. Recently a lot of coyotes have been killing dogs in my neighborhood. So we have to watch her sometimes at night. But our dog isn't obnoxious or annoying. If I were you I would've sincerely asked the owners to control their dog's barking at night.

Comment

Noise ordinance? have not thought of that! Need to check into it. It was very quiet last night.
                    thanks for the tip

Comment

I feel your pain. I live in a 18 unit townhouse community and everyone has s dog, or two. lol The unit next to mine has a dog that constantly barks for no reason what so ever and barks for hours continously. Thank god its only during the day.

I have spoken with the owners and they dont seem to be able to do anything about it. And no laws here in my country goberning such a problem. Its has become such a nuisance that its making my family irratable and jumpy. I am actually considering selling our home of less then a year or killing the dog. And we have 2 dogs, a rottweiler and cocker wich we love, and also keep controlled. But its to that point. Its unfortunate that because of others one cant enjoy their home.

Comment

apply a thin coat of nxt wax to the dogs with your DAPC.

Comment

Shotgun. Problem over.

Comment

Originally posted by JulesE34
                            Shotgun. Problem over.
                            LOL. The thought has crossed my mind. But I have to shoot through trees and a shed to get him....

Comment

just means you would need three shots instead of one...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');