• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the ladies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the ladies

Wife just bought a Dooney and Bourke hand bag at an estate sale.
    It's in good shape, just needs some cleaning. Of course I (we?) want to use Meguiars leather cleaner , G-10508. However their website says no oils, just saddlesoap. Suggestions.
    Thank you!
    MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Well, not a lady, and not a purse expert. But saddlesoap is not the mildest soap, there are much milder soaps for leather. Odd that they would not want something milder.

I mean, saddlesoap is obvioulsy for saddles, as well as baseball gloves, etc. Hard used leather.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thats what I thought too. Been doing some looking online. QVC on the Donney bags they sell,they recommend warm water and Ivory.
      Been reading the back of the bottle and it says hand bags.
      Might just do a small test area and see what happens.

Comment

A what? Uh....yeah....I have one purse-it's green Anyway-ivory? Huh. Saddlesoap was a surprise, but it is made for leather ....

Comment

Many people don't know how to care for leather, so they rely on the one thing they may have heard in the past. This is often saddle soap.

Chances are, many parents had a bottle of it in the cabinet when we grew up. For many generations, this was about all that was known for leather care if wiping with a damp towel didn't do the trick.

Old habits die hard.

While I'm not familiar with those particular bags, anything antique requires special care.

Literally, I'd start with warm water on a clean towel just to see what happens.

Purses and gloves are often "glove soft" leather; that is, they're not treated and coated in the same manner as the standard issue automobile seat leather is coated. Even mild dilutions of something like APC can often bleed color out of such leathers.

Extreme caution is the name of this game.
          See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Caution is right. Do not want to screw it up. Gonna try warm water first in small area.

Comment

Welllll what I would probably use is Meg's leather care (consumer line). It's pretty gentle; I've used it on a very soft leather....ergg I can't think what it's called, but it goes in a briefcase...anyways I used it on very soft leather and it worked great. Probably Pete's idea is the best though.
              Lydia's Mobile Detailing
              Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
              2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Warm water has worked for cleaning my moms coach purses, no need to use saddle soap.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');