• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riding on a jet Plane...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding on a jet Plane...

Hey guys tomorrow I head down to New Orleans. Me and my youth group are gonna rebuild houses adn what not for an entire week adn tomorrow I have to wake up at 6 adn catch my flight. It has been forever since I last woke up at 6. SO far the "group" we work through is planning on builidng 10 houses a week adn my group is week one. They told us that they would send us photos of the finished house adn its new occupants. I cant wait to do this. I just hope nothing bad happens aka plane, I flown before but you never know.

My son and I take a week out of summer vacation every year now for the last 4 years and build houses for Habitat for Humanity, what a great feeling!

Comment

Last time I flew ( last Oct ) - It was the first time I had flown in over 6 years. I was a little nervous just because it had been so long. Then I got on the plane with the President of Worldwide Operations - Walt Disney Resorts and Parks , and ended up sitting next to him.

Definately made for a cool flight.

Thats awesome that you guys are helping out in NOLA. I have a friend who lives there. It's just humbling all the stuff that they are going through there, and yet amazing for all the help they are still receiving to this day.
      Troy - TSR6

Comment

I am an air traffic controller at the Chicago Air Route Traffic Control Center.

Air travel is still the safest form of transportation. Your literally more likely to be struck by lightning than ot be involved in an aircraft incident. Notice I said, "incident" and not "accident". Incident, meaning where the plane lands at an unscheduled airport or has an out of the ordinary occurence that must be tended to before an emergency occurs.

Lightning strike, 1 in 6 million.

Aircraft incident, 1 in 7 million.
        Lew

"...will separate aircraft for food"

My Mercedes Benz S600

Comment

atclew isnt this really....really stressfull job?
          i would probably loose all my hair and get heart attack if i got many people life on my hands
          2003 Mercedes-Benz E500 Elegance

Comment

Originally posted by atclew
            I am an air traffic controller at the Chicago Air Route Traffic Control Center.

Air travel is still the safest form of transportation. Your literally more likely to be struck by lightning than ot be involved in an aircraft incident. Notice I said, "incident" and not "accident". Incident, meaning where the plane lands at an unscheduled airport or has an out of the ordinary occurence that must be tended to before an emergency occurs.

Lightning strike, 1 in 6 million.

planes are ultra safe! I fly about twice a year.
            Patrick Yu
            2003 Honda Accord
            2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

We go through ALOT of training, both initially and reoccuring. The job definitely has it's moments where it feels like all Hades is about to break loose, but we always manage just fine in the end. I still have a full head of hair, and no cardiac problem to mention! Although, the full head of hair won't last, I know that
              Lew

My Mercedes Benz S600

Comment

Your literally more likely to be struck by lightning than ot be involved in an aircraft incident. Notice I said, "incident" and not "accident".
                Really...what about an accident haha?

Comment

Originally posted by SL1CK
                  Really...what about an accident haha?
                  Always has to be one in the group!!!
                  Lew

My Mercedes Benz S600

Comment

There is one dangerous aspect to air travel, driving to the airport.

There must be some rule saying everybody must start jabbering on the cell phone coming or going from the airport.

PC.

Comment

We go through ALOT of training, both initially and reoccuring. The job definitely has it's moments where it feels like all Hades is about to break loose, but we always manage just fine in the end. I still have a full head of hair, and no cardiac problem to mention! Although, the full head of hair won't last, I know that
                      i too deal with airplanes. more specifically the design process.

that is extremely stressful. someone probably would guess that our two stress levels would be reversed though.

i mean whats so hard about sitting in a cubical doing calculations and working on a computer. beats me, but it is
                      Lancer Evolution VIII
                      I4T

Comment

I guess I am pretty unique!! I was flying a few years ago and I looked out my window after takeoff to see the right engine in flames! Luckily, we were able to turn around, and do a landing in Austin with one engine...hehehe, that was quite an adventure.

Comment

well guys Im finally back, I had a fun trip, we built/finished 8 houses in one week, they were only expecting 3 or so. Everyone had did there part adn the only thing I have to say is whoa, NO is in really bad shape more worse than I thought. We went to go see the lower 9th ward and OMG, that was a site there, I wasnt able to take any pics cause I forgot my camera, but my youth minister took some and we almost lost our lives because of that. A homeowner came out with a shotgun and shoved it in his face (all while we were in a van) I guess once the neighbors saw this they came out too with weapons, we left with our lives. One day at 9 at night wer were heading back to our hotel we almost died again, a mad man in a Mazada MPV van was doing 80 in a 55 zone adn blew a tire adn missed us by inches he hit the wall so hard he shattered it. People down there didnt seem to like us being down there, and they are crazy when it comes to driving, guys and girls would be passing us doing 70 or so in rural areas. Im just glad we made it back safe and secure, and the plane ride was awesome we had no turbulance. We left Raliegh Durham Airport, then to Atlanta adn then finally to NO. I had a really great time got to meet some of the homeowners that would be living in our houses that we built and those of other churches it was a great experience but I wouldnt dare go back just for a vacation....

Comment

Glad to hear that you are safe considering you almost died 2 times!
                            YAY im leaving to SoCal on Sunday!
                            Patrick Yu
                            2003 Honda Accord
                            2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');