• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back to school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to school

Where would the best place be to look for some automotive classes or just a place to learn about cars in general?
    '00 Audi A4 1.8 T
    '09 Audi A4 2.0 T Quattro
    Attention to detail is the key to success
    Steve

Depends on what you want to learn about.

Cars are a huge subject. When you have millions of people actively involved with using, building or maintaining something as fundamentally life changing as personal transportation for more than a century there’s bound to be a lot to it.

For a hands-on, dirty fingernails education many (most?) community colleges and adult education vocational schools have automotive technology classes aimed at preparing people for employment in the service sector. They sometimes have “intro” or “overview” classes aimed at the general consumer as well.

For the more academically ambitious there are universities with special programs in automotive design (from the styling/artistic/human interface perspective) and others with automotive engineering classes. Any mechanical engineering program would be considered a good foundation for pursuing advanced automotive technology.

For an enthusiast just wanting to absorb anything car related a series of trips to the local library is a great start. They’ll have plenty of books on the subject along with popular periodicals for the hobbyist.

PC.

Comment

The internet!

I've learned more about my jeep browing Jeep forums and write-ups than I could ever ask for in a text book.

Comment

I had the same interest.

Libraries and the internet were the most help, for the most part.

Comment

Any suggested book titles?
          '00 Audi A4 1.8 T
          '09 Audi A4 2.0 T Quattro
          Attention to detail is the key to success
          Steve

Comment

pick the kind of car you would like to work on (within reason of course) and see if there is an online forum of enthusiasts. go to their meets, especislly ones at shops. make friends. hang around the guys alot. ask questions, you'll learn a ton.

thats how i leanred all about my evo, was making friends with evos through an online message board and going to their meets. I made friends with a shop owner, and evo owners that were mechanics for their day job. i learned a ton.
            Lancer Evolution VIII
            I4T

Comment

Originally posted by onnfire
              Any suggested book titles?
              What areas interest you? Service and maintenance? Restoration? Painting? History? Technology? Racing? Exotics? Classics? Customs? Muscle cars? Everything? There's a whole lot out there.

If you're not sure where to dive in head to the library. You can thumb through a bunch of books until you find what subjects interest you. They'll also have current magazines for up to date reading.

Bring a notepad to write down key names, topics and events so you can Google them online too.

PC.

Comment

Start with the basics...

The Internal Combustion engine, from there, just start moving your way around the engine and you'll see how everything works.

Comment

You can even browse howstuffworks.com for a real basic overiew of different things. Then get a book/manual of what catches your eye.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');