• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiars Shop apron...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiars Shop apron...

I'm sure there is a logical explanation to this, but I'm still curious. Looks like the apron is made with polyester or something. Why wasn't the Meguiars shop apron made out of MF or a high quality cotton or Terry? When wearing the apron, you would be leaning over the car quite a bit. Seems like it would inflict damage to the paint if you rubbed the paint with it.

I know I always try and keep my body off the paint, but it always happens.
    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Re: Meguiars Shop apron...

Great question. I was wondering that myself.

Comment

Hey,

Good question. My older Meg's apron is made of a heavier material and I guess there is a possibility of inducing marring if you brushed against the paint. However, I have not had a problem with that happening.

My newer Meg's apron is made of a much softer material which perhaps may lessen any issues.

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I’d be willing to bet it’s purely practical.

Cotton twill aprons are commonly available off the shelf. There are a zillion sources for work garments and they all have cotton. If you go looking for work aprons they’re easy to find in many configurations. No design work or custom fabrication is required besides embroidering the logo.

Cotton twill is inexpensive. The resulting apron is reasonably priced. I think it’s likely that many customers wouldn’t be willing to pay the extra for microfiber or high thread count terry.

Terry cloth and plush weave fabrics used for most microfiber towels would make lousy work garments. They'd snag on everything. You’d be constantly getting caught on things and unraveling. Cotton twill is very rugged. It holds up well in heavy use.

It would be nice if your apron was completely safe to rub on the paint but how much would it actually buy you? You really shouldn’t be leaning on the car as you work to begin with. Sure, there’s always the possibility of some level of incidental contact but does it really cause problems if you don’t put some weight into it?

Anyway, I doubt there’s enough of a market for a big outfit to be selling custom designed aprons. Sounds like a good idea for a small specialty vendor though. I’d buy one.

PC.

Comment

I know it probably wouldn't be too cost effective, but I know I detail my truck and other cars in specific clothes. Nothing too harsh, always soft cotton and nothing with any metal or anything that will hurt the paint in any way. Then I go to throw on my Meguiars apron, and I think to myself, why do I go through all of the trouble to wear specific clothes when I put this on to detail paint?
          I always try to not touch the paint when leaning over the car, but it's going to happen no matter how hard you try not to do it. I'm not saying that the apron will cause any kind of damage to the paint, but it could.....correct?

Comment

Yeah, it might if you lean on it and move around. I just think that Meg’s has too much on their plate to put energy into a product that likely has a very limited market.

PC.

Comment

True. It was just a question though...and I'm full of those

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
                I think it’s likely that many customers wouldn’t be willing to pay the extra for microfiber or high thread count terry.
                Ummm, people that are not willing to spend extra to get better car care are people that wouldn't buy any apron to start with. People that do consider apron are already Car Crazy people and would be heavily tempted by better apron even if it costs extra. Same people that buy wrap for their cord so they can avoid chance of accidental damage.

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
                It would be nice if your apron was completely safe to rub on the paint but how much would it actually buy you? You really shouldn’t be leaning on the car as you work to begin with. Sure, there’s always the possibility of some level of incidental contact but does it really cause problems if you don’t put some weight into it?
                It would buy me a lot if that extra $20 or so would make a difference between spoiled mood due to one little slip at the end of long weekend and perfect result in spite of the slip. That is even more important for people with chronic back pain / injury, like me, that tend to subconsciously come closer to surface they are working on as they are "looking" to reduce physical pain keeping distance is causing. Less back pain means a lot to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
                  Ummm, people that are not willing to spend extra to get better car care are people that wouldn't buy any apron to start with. People that do consider apron are already Car Crazy people and would be heavily tempted by better apron even if it costs extra....
                  Most people buy aprons to protect their clothes, not the car. Anybody is always welcome to wear flannel pajamas while detailing.

…Same people that buy wrap for their cord so they can avoid chance of accidental damage….
                  Another limited market item Meguiar’s doesn’t sell. Some people certainly find them useful. Everybody I know just throws the cord over their shoulders. As I said about the softer apron, it’s a perfectly good idea, it just has a limited market.

…It would buy me a lot ….
                  I totally agree that you, me and a number of others could benefit and would pay for it. I just don’t think the numbers are high enough for an outfit with as much on their plate as Meguiar’s to justify the capital outlay required to pursue it. As I said, it’d be a good idea for a specialty vendor.

PC.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');