• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting certified??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting certified??

ok so i have been detailing on and off since i was like 14 and now run my own detailing business. the other day i went down to a local wash tub place to look at a part time job there on like the weekends or whenever work is slow ( let me remind you this is not a real detailing place, its more of a 15 dollar hand wash company. When i menchoned i was a professional detailer and owned my own business he asked me if i was certified. i said what?? with a stupid look on my face woundering what he was talking about. i have not heard of any classes to take around here to get certified and be a professional detailer. so he said that they would have to start me off as a vacum guy and slowly move me through the ranks until i take there detailing class and become a certified professional detailer. well does anyone know about these classes and where i can take one? i know how to do just about everything but i figured i could take it just to get a certificate and see what else i can learn because im always up for learning new things. i would rather just go to the meguiars classes but i live in san antonio texas and thats a little bit of a drive.
    ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
    Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
    210-281-8151

Re: Getting certified??

Probably a company thing?

Comment

There’s no such thing as a professional certification for detailers in the same sense that doctors, airline pilots, architects or even auto mechanics are certified. Those professions are controlled by government agencies to protect the safety and well being of the public.

Detailing certifications are handed out by various organizations (most of them commercial, for profit). Their certifications carry no particular legal significance but demonstrate that the individuals meet whatever criteria the particular outfits feels are appropriate.

It’s more of a business thing, possibly giving an employer or customer some point of reference. Every outfit has different criteria. Some have truly minimal requirements (like hand them cash and ta-da, you’re certified!). Others have rather extensive programs. There’s no commonality or consistency.

Here’s one thread about the topic: Bub Abraham's Certification Article. There have been others as well. Search around.

I’m sure your employer has a very high turnover of people, many of whom probably claim they know what they’re doing. Connecting themselves with some form of certification program is one way to get something that vaguely approaches consistency.

Even if the program is trivial it’s their business and their call. They’re handing out the paycheck so what they say goes. Who knows, there might be something useful in the program and you may learn something new.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
        Probably a company thing?
        yea thats what i thought to but he said they get an outside company to come in and give the classes and the certificates.
        ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
        210-281-8151

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
          There’s no such thing as a professional certification for detailers in the same sense that doctors, airline pilots, architects or even auto mechanics are certified. Those professions are controlled by government agencies to protect the safety and well being of the public.

Detailing certifications are handed out by various organizations (most of them commercial, for profit). Their certifications carry no particular legal significance but demonstrate that the individuals meet whatever criteria the particular outfits feels are appropriate.

It’s more of a business thing, possibly giving an employer or customer some point of reference. Every outfit has different criteria. Some have truly minimal requirements (like hand them cash and ta-da, you’re certified!). Others have rather extensive programs. There’s no commonality or consistency.

Here’s one thread about the topic: Bub Abraham's Certification Article. There have been others as well. Search around.

I’m sure your employer has a very high turnover of people, many of whom probably claim they know what they’re doing. Connecting themselves with some form of certification program is one way to get something that vaguely approaches consistency.

Even if the program is trivial it’s their business and their call. They’re handing out the paycheck so what they say goes. Who knows, there might be something useful in the program and you may learn something new.

PC.
          that makes since i just wanted to be sure and thank you for the info. im not going to work for them. it was just out of curiousity i guess to see what they would pay me for part time and to have a real detailer out there helping them but im not going to work for a company that will stick me as a vacum guy for months and listen to an 18 year old kid tell me how to detail because thats not what i was looking for.
          210-281-8151

Comment

PC has a point but I think a company/organization can give some kind of "certification" to put everyone to the same pace or knowledge. Skills and passion are a key thing and this is going to divide groups of people that do a very good job, other poor but with this way the company can try to "control" the quality they are looking for.

I see it this way, it's like exams, it will depend on if you like or you don't like the subject but you have standards that you have to prove and this is the only way that the institution assures itself that the students are getting the concepts.

If you work alone, or you have an independents mobile (or not mobile) company but it's a small one in personal then I guess you have more control because you have more contact with your employees but if it's something big, where the owner is always on the office and they have "supervisors" then I guess the only way to put everyone in a same level is this.

Comment

I looked allover internet and there isnt a detail specific classes....closest is the nice certificate you get for attending a Sat Class at Meguiars
              WrightDetail
              The Wright Way
              2007 Chevy HHR
              2008 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 1500

Comment

There is one company in PA....DK are initials, but they want $ 300 for their 2 day class.....a bit steep IMHO
                WrightDetail
                The Wright Way
                2007 Chevy HHR

Comment

If you are talking about the wash tub I wouldn't be too worried about them sending you to their class. Having seen quite a bit of their "detail" work over here on the NW side, their "class" may do your reputation more harm than good.
                  Michael

Talent hits a target no-one else can hit; genius hits targets no-one else can see. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Take a look at:

Michael

Talent hits a target no-one else can hit; genius hits targets no-one else can see. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by mcox View Post
                      Looked all over that site and do not see that they offer any classes or ways to get certified...also their chat forum is not as up to date as MOL's
                      WrightDetail
                      The Wright Way
                      2007 Chevy HHR

Comment

Certifications in the detailing world are similar to the IT realm. There are many certifications that only apply to a certain manufacturer or product. You could have every Microsoft certification in the world, but it would not help you in a Linux shop.

It would be nice to collectively have a method of certification, or at least standards of education that would apply to the practice and methods of detailing in general. What I would like to see, is the manufacturers at least put out recommended methods of using their products. Something for the more involved detailer, rather than the usual, apply product, let haze, wipe off with a clean rag.
                        It would be nice to have a formalized collective body of detailers, independent and free to members, that can work with the manufacturers to best use their products. I thought I heard someone was working on this already.

Comment

I agree with Boogie Joe.
                          I have worked for dealerships for 15 years now, and have been certified as a Master Detailer for Toyota Certified Used Vehicles, and as a Master Detailer for Volkswagen.

Now that I do not work for either company, those certificates are just good for bragging rights, or will look good on the wall of the customer lounge of the shop.

I work for Mercedes Benz, and have taught some of the old-timers (20 years+) some tricks of the trade.

But strangely enough, there is no factory training available to us for M/B. Or our dealership is too cheap to send us. (They hire kids and tell them to detail a $150,000 Benz on day one-with no expierance- I end up stopping the kids, and show them the right way.)

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');