• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canopy's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canopy's

Ok, I have looked everywhere for a dang canopy I think will be big enough to fit at least a small SUV under and that I can set-up myself. I bought one from Dick's Sporting Goods. It was a quest 10x10 and it was a cheap nightmare. Any suggestions anyone as to a good canopy that will fit at least like a Ford Escape... preferably something that will fit like a Ford explorer or GMC Envoy or something of that nature. It has to be portable, and I have to be able to set it up myself.

Re: Canopy's

I have an EZUP 10x20 aluminum canopy. They are pricey, but you will not get a full size SUV under one of those small ones. Expect to pay around a grand to get something decent. This 10x20 has fit everything I need so far. Even my 1 ton full size Chevy van. And I can set this thing up all by myself in about 3 minutes, and tear it down in about 2 minutes

Oh, and get aluminum! The steel framed canopies are HEAVY!!!!

Nick
    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

I actually just got one for Father's Day. It is also 10' x 20'. I haven't had a chance to set it up yet because I was on vaca last week. But I will let you know. I will be testing it out this weekend. The one I have has a wheeled case for storage and is easy to move around.

Andy
      Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
      Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Thanks guys. I bought a 10x10 Quest from Dick's Sporting Goods.... that was a total mistake. I figure being mobile, my canopy is going to be one of my biggest assets and I already have this much time invested, I need something good.

Comment

Here's a tip...

To anchor your canopy down if it's windy, carry some 5 gallon buckets with you and if needed fill them with water and station one at each leg of the canopy.

Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon so a 5 gallon bucket gives you 40 pounds of weight to hold your canopy down. Then when you tear down you can just pour the water out and store the light weight buckets.

I used quality bungee cords to attach the bucket handles to the frame of the canopy, a little stretch in the tie down seem to work real well.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Great tip Mike!
            Dans Tech Reviews | Wii Shopper

Comment

Found a 12X14 EZ-Up (yes an actual EZ-Up), steel frame though, at K-Mart on sale for $90.

This one here.

Comment

Steel frame on thos smaller ones aren't really an issue. I was mainly speaking of the larger 10x20 canopies. Even with aluminum, it's a pain to carry.
                2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                  Here's a tip...

To anchor your canopy down if it's windy, carry some 5 gallon buckets with you and if needed fill them with water and station one at each leg of the canopy.

Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon so a 5 gallon bucket gives you 40 pounds of weight to hold your canopy down. Then when you tear down you can just pour the water out and store the light weight buckets.

I used quality bungee cords to attach the bucket handles to the frame of the canopy, a little stretch in the tie down seem to work real well.

Yup, I used to do the same thing at the race track except I used buckets full of rocks.
                  If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Yes...make sure it is anchored on all four corners very well. I had two corners anchored down and a nice wind came through and flew it into my neighbors yard and basically fell apart. Luckily I was there and I didn't hit any cars or anything.

If you can wait, look at Home Depot, last year around 4th of July they had 2 different ones on sale for $50. They were E-Z Up 10x10's and I bought one and now I'm thinking I should have gotten 2.

Ryan
                    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Well, I tried mine over the weekend....
                      It worked well for the 7 hours that I used it. It was a little windy but I did use the buckets at 2 of the corners and spikes at the others since 2 corners were on grass. However.........When it came time to take it down it turned into disaster. Bolts were loosened, nuts were falling out of the frame, actually pulling out of the frame. Needless to say it went back to the store yesterday. I will be looking into getting another one soon. Preferrably one that won't fall apart after one use. Sorry no pictures but it wouldn't have been worth it. This one was called the Weekender and was purchased at K-Mart. On the other hand the better halfs Honda turned out looking great!

Andy
                      101impala
                      Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                      Andy M. Moderator

Comment

That's the one I bought is the 12x12 Weekender at K-Mart. I set it up and tore it down once for good measure... so far so good. I like 7'1" eve clearance on it. Imma give it a shot on a couple details, and if i dont like it, it'll go back to the store.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');