• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spark Plug brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plug brand

Hi please let me know the spark plug that you use? Has anyone tried iridium?

Re: Spark Plug brand

Motorcraft and Autolite do the trick for me. If you are looking for a recommendation, best bet is to put up some information like year, make, model, engine, and modifications...

Comment

I'm a big Honda/Acura guy, so NGK and Nippendenso do it for me.
      -Freeman

Comment

AC Delco or Autolite in my Camaro, and Bosch or NGK for the Honda and Toyota. I haven't heard of Iridium.
        Rick McDonough
        Customer Engagement - Digital Content Editor
        Meguiar's Inc.
        1.800.854.8073 * 3853
        rmcdonough@meguiars.com

Comment

Ngk
          If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Iridium isn't a brand but a metal. It's in the platinum family. It's the most corrosion resistant metal known. NGK makes an iridium plug, as I am sure others do.

Edit: Some interesting info I found on the subject...

"Iridium is a precious metal that is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum, it has a 1,200=F higher melting point than platinum and conducts electricity better. This makes it possible to create the finest wire center electrode ever. Prior till now, spark plug manufacturers have favored platinum for their long life or performance spark plugs due to its high melting point, also the technology did not exist to machine and bond iridium on a spark plug electrode(at least in a cost effective manner). Champion spark plugs had already made an iridium industrial application spark plug, but it still sells for over a hundred dollars per plug. Just now is the technology available to effectively use iridium in a spark plug for automotive applications. The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium make it very well suited for a fine wire plug. The primary iridium plug manufacturers at this time are Denso with a 0.4mm center electrode and NGK with a 0.7mm center electrode. Both are the best performance plugs on the market for traditional automotive use and many racing applications."
            Scott

Comment

Mt truck has Bosch Platinums, but I'd use NGK Iridiums now.
              AeroCleanse, LLC
              Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
              www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Autolite double Platinums for me.
                Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

My Mitsubishi uses NKG Iridium plugs. I stick with Autolights for Fords. Iridium and Platinum help to avoid fouling and prolong the useful lifecycle of the plugs. However, several engine builder friends of mine stick to basic Champion/Autolight plugs for High HP applications. (Not sure of the logic, but they seem to know more than me about this). Just make sure that the plugs are gapped correctly and know that they will need to be changed more often if your vehicle does alot of stop/go driving.

Comment

NGK or Autolite, depends on which car I am installing plugs into. I use copper plugs and replace at 20k.

Comment

Since I have 2 Fords, I use Motorcraft only. I put in Bosch and had issues.
                      I prefer keep a car OEM no matter the make.

Kelly
                      MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

I run autolite in both my Fords. All plugs now a days are great.
                        Alex
                        1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
                        1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
                        1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Originally posted by stang97 View Post
                          I run autolite in both my Fords. All plugs now a days are great.

They maybe, but putting Bosch double plats in a Vulcan V-6 is not good. I kept cracking the insulators until I went to the Taurus forums and found out that engine prefers Ford or Autolites. Just my experience.

Kelly
                          MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

I've heard some funny things about the more exotic spark plugs. Apparently, they cause problems in turbocharged cars.

For the Porsche, we used NGK and switched to Bosch. And then switched back to NGK. The engine seemed to run better with the NGK plugs.
                            Chris
                            Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Newer Fords really only like the Motorcraft plugs. Certain plugs cause issues with certain engines and modifications...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');