• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing with the new camera....I have a LOT to learn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Playing with the new camera....I have a LOT to learn!

Hey Nick, found this on other forum and remembered you:

"Just got the XSi today and shot over 200 pics. Wow, I've been missing out, that's for sure. First I popped on the 50mm 1.8 lens and got some very sharp pics. I'm not sure what to think about the kit lens right now. I wasn't getting all that sharp of shots, many seemed out of focus."

Comment

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
      Hey Nick, found this on other forum and remembered you:

"Just got the XSi today and shot over 200 pics. Wow, I've been missing out, that's for sure. First I popped on the 50mm 1.8 lens and got some very sharp pics. I'm not sure what to think about the kit lens right now. I wasn't getting all that sharp of shots, many seemed out of focus."
      Hmmmm, thank you sir. I bought the 55-250 lens the other day, maybe I should shoot more with the other lens and see how they turn out.
      2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
      2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

With the 18-55 kit lens, it seems to work much better with a tripod. Here is a car I just finished up today.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
          Hmmmm, thank you sir.
          Any time

Comment

With the 18-55 kit lens, it seems to work much better with a tripod. Here is a car I just finished up today.
            That looks great Nick!
            Scott

Comment

Comparison.... Really hard for me to tell since the lighting is so different

1st image
              Looks to me like your white balance has changed in the two pictures.

The best $100 I ever spent after getting my DSLR 2 months ago was the $100 I spent for an on-line photography course. Not because I couldn't learn all the stuff myself, but because it put all the stuff in a linear, organized fashion and kept me from making the same mistakes over and over again. I spent my $$ at Proud Photography; if you decide to do likewise, I would appreciate you entering "Mosca" in the referral line of the registration.
              As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
                Mt wife's Canon G9 takes awesome photos than can be captured in both Raw and Raw + Large Jpeg. The picture quality is excellent but where the biggest difference I can see between Advanced PnS and the DSLR is both in noise levels as well as in a photo that looks more 3D. It is hard to explain but the DSLR with good glass just provides a better picture. I am not sure what the lines of resolution is on your Sony, but I know that for most Advanced PnS cameras that this is where they get hammered most by the DSLR.
                Tim

Tim, I have both the 40D and the G9. The difference is the depth of field, and that is directly related to the larger sensor size in the 40D.

I spent as much money being frustrated by PnS cameras as I did on the 40D; if I'd have just bought the good camera first I'd be way ahead of the game. OTOH, I do like having the PnS for the food posts I do at the Roadfood forum; it's not really polite to lug a 40D with macro lens into the restaurant!
                As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Do a google search for "Rebel XSi" and "front focusing".

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
                    Tim, I have both the 40D and the G9. The difference is the depth of field, and that is directly related to the larger sensor size in the 40D.

I spent as much money being frustrated by PnS cameras as I did on the 40D; if I'd have just bought the good camera first I'd be way ahead of the game. OTOH, I do like having the PnS for the food posts I do at the Roadfood forum; it's not really polite to lug a 40D with macro lens into the restaurant!
                    Hey Tom,

Yeah...that is why I said somewhere in this thread () that the smaller sensor on a PnS creates a different aperture compared to the DSLR. The smaller sensor on the G9 and other PnS make a picture at f4 really like f16 on a DSLR.

And oh I know about the cost of getting this stuff figured out. I think about that every time I look at my 100-400L! UGH!

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
                      Hey Tom,

Yeah...that is why I said somewhere in this thread () that the smaller sensor on a PnS creates a different aperture compared to the DSLR. The smaller sensor on the G9 and other PnS make a picture at f4 really like f16 on a DSLR.

And oh I know about the cost of getting this stuff figured out. I think about that every time I look at my 100-400L! UGH!

Tim
                      I read the physics of it all somewhere... all you really need to know is, $$. I'm saving for the 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

There is so much to know. One of the problems (and joys) for a beginning photographer with a nice DSLR is that there are TWO learning curves... not only do you need to learn how to use all the flexibility offered to you by having an exquisite, elaborate, high quality tool... but you also need to learn photography, which is both understanding the physics of light and the nature of art. So in the first sense, you need to know why a picture looks the way it does (the operation of the camera)... and in the second, you need to know, how do you want it to look? That is how it is different from audio, or detailing, to me anyhow.

What I am troubled by is that no matter how nice a picture I take, the image is transient. I can choose to represent reality, or I can use photography to create a new reality, but nevertheless the images are transient. I strive to give them value, but they still have none, and that troubles me somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
                        I read the physics of it all somewhere... all you really need to know is, $$. I'm saving for the 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

There is so much to know. One of the problems (and joys) for a beginning photographer with a nice DSLR is that there are TWO learning curves... not only do you need to learn how to use all the flexibility offered to you by having an exquisite, elaborate, high quality tool... but you also need to learn photography, which is both understanding the physics of light and the nature of art. So in the first sense, you need to know why a picture looks the way it does (the operation of the camera)... and in the second, you need to know, how do you want it to look? That is how it is different from audio, or detailing, to me anyhow.

What I am troubled by is that no matter how nice a picture I take, the image is transient. I can choose to represent reality, or I can use photography to create a new reality, but nevertheless the images are transient. I strive to give them value, but they still have none, and that troubles me somehow.
                        You are thinking like this great photographer:"You don't take a photograph, you make it." -Ansel Adams

Comment

Digging the new camera. Starting to learn how to use it a bit better.

I could never take shots like this from my old camera

Comment

You probably need another time eater like you need a another whole in your head , but here's a link to the Canon forum.

Incredible resource for any aspiring photographer. It is one of 3 forums I visit on a regular basis. The people are great, friendly and knowledgeable, though definitely biased toward Canon gear.

If you have a question, they can answer it in more detail than you'll believe. Not to diminish the excellent advice in this string what-so-ever. Just another great resource, with great information.
                            Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Hello Nick,
                              I don't know you, but I have been hanging around these boards for a bit, (before they made the last few swaps between boards) I remember seeing you as n737nc back then. Anyways I was looking the the nature photography thread and saw your post

"As BlueZero puts his camera back in the case and picks up the photography for dummies book."
                              "Got an extra copy???"

So I thought you might have been half serious. I have a digital photography book that I was just going to put up on Ebay now that I'm done with it, but I would really rather give it to someone like you who is wanting to learn about photography. It is called Digital Photography the Missing Manual, by Chris Grover & Barbara Brundage. The book has a little of everything about photography, downloading pictures on your computer, composition, editing, online hosting etc. I am sure you are familiar with most of this, but it also touches on lighting and other technical aspects of photography. I am not looking to sell it to you, like I said, I would rather someone like you have it. Good luck in your learning.

I am also going to suggest the Canon 50mm f1.8 Lens. Great lens, and you can usually find them used for $75
                              Schotography

Comment

Originally posted by mschoelen View Post
                                Hello Nick,
                                I don't know you, but I have been hanging around these boards for a bit, (before they made the last few swaps between boards) I remember seeing you as n737nc back then. Anyways I was looking the the nature photography thread and saw your post

"As BlueZero puts his camera back in the case and picks up the photography for dummies book."
                                "Got an extra copy???"

So I thought you might have been half serious. I have a digital photography book that I was just going to put up on Ebay now that I'm done with it, but I would really rather give it to someone like you who is wanting to learn about photography. It is called Digital Photography the Missing Manual, by Chris Grover & Barbara Brundage. The book has a little of everything about photography, downloading pictures on your computer, composition, editing, online hosting etc. I am sure you are familiar with most of this, but it also touches on lighting and other technical aspects of photography. I am not looking to sell it to you, like I said, I would rather someone like you have it. Good luck in your learning.

I am also going to suggest the Canon 50mm f1.8 Lens. Great lens, and you can usually find them used for $75
                                Wow! Thats awesome! But I will have to give you some cash for it. No chance I'm taking it for free.

Please PM me with your contact infor(paypal address?), and let me know the cost of the book plus shipping charges.

Thanks,
                                Nick

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');