• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to vent...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to vent...

So in a offroading/camping trip last week to Northern CA, we managed to cause some damage to the Jeep, more than just scratches on the car and to the under body. All in all, some how the brake lights managed to exploded and proceed to melt in inside of the rear brake light housing on both sides. The transmission slips while shifting and if you lucky, it will go into 3rd gear instead of just skipping it complelty. If you go up the slighest hill, the transmission will drop into 2nd gear no matter what gear your in and stay there. The OBD light will come on and you have to pull over and reset the computer to get out of second gear and get the light to come off. When in 4wd low, the car wont shift out of 1st unless floored to the ground at which point it shifts and you feel like the transmission has just came out.

Moving onto body damage, I tore the front fender flare off by running into a tree. We also have some very nasty scratches on the sides of the car. I'm not talking about car guy scratches like "Oh no, got to get the Scratch-X", I'm talking scratches (more of gouges) that would make anybody flinch.

Well, once we got home, we had it towed the next day to the Jeep dealership and they forgot to write up a service report until tonight. Then they call us and ask "whats wrong with the brake lights." Not, how did this happen, or what warning signs were there, just whats wrong like they couldn't tell. Let me paint a picture, both housings are removed completely from the car, the bulbs are shattered, the housings are warped and it was towed there because the lights don't work. Is it that hard for somebody to realize that? Then, they call us back asking us if we would like them to fix the problem!!!!! My dad flat out told them, "no, we thought we would have the car towed to you guys and pay $100 deductible for no reason."

Well I'll have more but I needed to vent a little bit on that.

Ryan
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Re: Need to vent...

... ouch... that's pretty much all I can say. Sorry to hear about it man.

Comment

That really *****! I am sorry to hear that your trip turned out so crappy. And trust me, I feel your pain when it comes to incompetent service. Sometimes you wonder if people even think before they speak

Well, I hope it all gets taken care of. Let us know what happens.

Comment

Sorry Ryan, I have to do it...
        1988 Toyota Tercel 1.5l I4 - AKA the BEAST
        1994 BMW 325CI
        2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
        SR Detailing

Comment

Man, this sounds like it was not a good trip. Sorry for the damage to the Jeep. Here is hoping that it all gets fixed and its as good as new. Main thing is no one was hurt. Sorry you had such a bad trip.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Ouch!

A little trail rash just helps make it a Jeep! But you didn't need to do that much to it.

Hope it all works out and gets fixed up for you.
            Scott

Comment

Sounds like you DESTROYED your Jeep!
              Hopefully everything will turn out ok and you'll be on the road in no time

Comment

Did the tranny temp light ever come on? How many miles are on the Jeep and how many times have you changed the tranny fluid+filter?

Usually with the 42rle tranny thats in your Jeep you really need to be careful not to let it over heat when offroad. Always limit it to a lower gear so its not constantly shifting and use 4low where its needed.

It would need to over heat a lot to get to the point thats its at though so its probably something else.

Sorry to here about that tree and all the scratches. Thats one of the main reasons Ive tried to stop offroading till I get out of college and can get something to beat on and not care....
                Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Sounds like something in the wiring harness must have gotten snagged and caused a short in the system. The wonders of the computer age.

Mort

Comment

Dude, that *****. I understand your needing to vent and all but I don't get, by the text of your post, why you are mad at the dealer. Dealers need permission, or should get it, before performing any kind of service as a safeguard to them. The person who called may have not read, had access to or even told of your Jeeps issues.

Remember, you and your family caused the damage and the Jeep had a foul up. No need to get angry at other people.

I am not trying to be a wet blanket but that is just my opinion. Maybe you could clarify the process of the Jeep shipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mort Corey View Post
                      Sounds like something in the wiring harness must have gotten snagged and caused a short in the system. The wonders of the computer age.

Mort
                      There really isnt any wiring harnesses that can get snagged or damaged on the libertys tranny. The tranny in the 04 liberty is a decent tranny but theres always a few that fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepster04 View Post
                        Did the tranny temp light ever come on? How many miles are on the Jeep and how many times have you changed the tranny fluid+filter?

Usually with the 42rle tranny thats in your Jeep you really need to be careful not to let it over heat when offroad. Always limit it to a lower gear so its not constantly shifting and use 4low where its needed.

It would need to over heat a lot to get to the point thats its at though so its probably something else.

Sorry to here about that tree and all the scratches. Thats one of the main reasons Ive tried to stop offroading till I get out of college and can get something to beat on and not care....
                        The Trans Temp light did come on a couple times and we did the appropriate measures to turn it off. But, the Trans Temp never came on when the OBD light came on, nor did it come on before. The OBD light never came on while off the road and the Trans Temp light never came on while on the road. The Jeep has 47,000 miles and we've changed the transmission oil and filter 5 times now, each at the 15k intervals and the other 2 were both before big trips that we knew we would be pushing the car a lot.

If you drive it on the road with no wieght (just me) on flat surfaces, you can feel it slipping even at low RPM's (1500 - 2000). I'm waiting for the call about what they say is wrong.

Ryan

Comment

Hey Ryan,

Sorry to hear about the mishap on your trip...

How about a new Avatar...

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

You sure changed the fluid a lot! The owners manual says every 15k for the diff's and actually says 60k for the tranny but I change mine every 30k. Did you make sure only atf+4 was used?

When the light was coming on, did you have it locked in a lower gear? How fast were you going?

Since the liberty only has an engine driven fan with the towing pack(and maybe offroad package) the tranny will actually stay cooler if you use the A/C if you do not have the engine driven fan. Reason being is, when you have the A/C on it keeps the electric fan on all the time which pulls air through the tranny cooler. I usually unhook the compressor and turn the A/C on so it doesnt actually turn the A/C on but it makes the fan come on. Then you can turn it on and off by simply turning the A/C on, pretty neat I thought. Of course the blower on the inside will run but it hardly pulls any current on the low speed so it wont hurt anything.

Comment

Yea, I'm crazy about fluids, especially in the Jeep. Yep, I went out and bought OEM Mopar ATF-4 fluids each time and watched as E-Z Lube put it in.

When the Trans Temp light came on, it wasn't in 4WD and we were going between 10-15 mph on wash board type roads. When in 4WD Hi or Lo, the Trans Temp light never came on. One thing that made us wonder was the high altitude. Where I live, its about 700 feet about sea level, where we were at it was between 8,000-11,000 feet.

Changed the Avatar, Mike!

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');